The "What If" Thread

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: The "What If" Thread

Unread postby DragonAtma » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:13 pm

That.... would be extremely unlikely.

Remember, confuciuanism (and therefore china) ran off of rigid lines of relationships: ruler to people, father to son, husband to wife, elder brother to younger brother, and friend to friend. So they would consider replacing a leader with someone without rank unthinkable.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:54 pm

DragonAtma wrote:That.... would be extremely unlikely.

Remember, confuciuanism (and therefore china) ran off of rigid lines of relationships: ruler to people, father to son, husband to wife, elder brother to younger brother, and friend to friend. So they would consider replacing a leader with someone without rank unthinkable.

Ah. I admit I know next to nothing about Confucianism. So even if Emperor Xian was still the main monarch, it still wouldn't work, eh? Oh well. It was a shot.
PeanutButterToast
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:44 am

Not sure the three of them have the personalities or shared interest to do so and not sure, bar possibly Cao Cao, who benefits. Liu Bei has a small base behind him and given attitudes towards the south till Wu came along, Wu's people would risk being screwed in a deal.

Also think gentry would rebel, would be such a radical idea that China isn't set up for.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DragonAtma » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Actually, a year or two ago I thought about different outcomes for Cao Mao vs Sima Zhao, and one possibility was a desperate Cao Mao and his rump state begging for assistance... from Liu Shan and Sun Xiu.

Obviously, that didn't happen.

EDIT: I should add that the closest ancient China could get to a republic would be something like modern Liechtenstein or Monaco; both of them are technically constitutional monarchies, but in both cases the prince has a lot more power than (say) Elizabeth II.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby To Establish Peace » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:17 pm

How would Liu Bang/Xiang Yu/Zhang Liang/Han Xin/Xiao He would do in the 3k era? I personally think that the level of competition in the 3k era would prevent Bang form unifying China again but i think they'd get pretty far. For the sake of argument, they're not the historical personages but random generals/bureaucrats with the same personality/talent/etc.
To Establish Peace
Initiate

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:25 am

I don't believe I've ever seen this asked before...

If Sun Jian had defected to Dong Zhuo when approached what might have happened?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:57 am

Alliance fails, Dong doesn't need to move out of the capital. This might have given Wang Yu and co a stronger base to restore the Han from, not sure if Dong had the energy to push on against the rebels he defeated but with a stronger powerbase he might well do so.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium