Liu Bei's cannibalism?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby barbarosso » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:30 pm

DAv wrote:Of course, the book doesn't tell us if he actually LIKED his wife :wink:
lol your rigth, maybe he had butchered her the week before, or the day before, or maybe they just had an arguement !
"The fine line before, arrogance and confitdence is bearly visible when we hold our heads up high" Me thats who !
barbarosso
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Subotai » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:28 pm

hmm, it seems that most of us have accepted that this was a tale of cannibalism long ago and does not appear in any modern instance in China. yet one of the greatest poets and story writers of all time has pleaded for the Han to stop eating their own.....the author: Lu Xun. THus cannibalism is not merely a ghost from the past and an instance of filial piety, which was argued not an instance of filial piety but I say it was. The greatest relationship is child to parent, the next is subject to ruler. The last is husband to wife. Thus, Liu An's filial piety was correct.
"If your sword is sharp, then mine is never dull!"

Yuan Shao to the rebel Tung Cho.
Subotai
Langzhong

Unread postby Sao Meng » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:03 am

Yeah that was kinda freaky when that guy Liu An cooked his wife.

I almost puked when I read it.
I shall return...to the garden...
Sao Meng
Assistant

Unread postby bodidley » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:12 am

What freaked me out more than Liu An cooking his wife and feeding her to the unsuspecting Liu Bei, was that when Bei found out he was moved to tears by the act of hospitality, and when he told Cao Cao, Cao rewarded An! Sanguo Yanyi perhaps tells us a lot about male-female relations in late Yuan/ early Ming China. Especially all of the "Women and children are like clothes that may be mended or cast off, but brothers are like arms and legs, and who can mend a lost limb?" arguements. Yeah, who do you find more virtuous, the man who gets horribly depressed when his wife dies, or the man whose reaction is essentially, "This shirt is ruined"
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elitemsh » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:42 am

Liu Bei probably did not agree with the man's actions but considering this guy killed his own wife just to feed Liu Bei shows how much he cares, how could Liu Bei be anything but grateful. Also eating other humans is not actually that bad. If you were really desparate for food (and you would die otherwise) you may eat another human (so long as they were already dead) if it was your only choice, I know I would. There is plenty of meat on a human, it could be a good meal.
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby bodidley » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:24 pm

I'm not saying that cannabalism in extreme situations is neccesarily evil, but to please a dinner guest seems like a poor reason. My reaction would have been different, hovering around shock, dismay, mistrust, and illness. You know, it's not a healthy habit to eat people, it's an easy way to get a variety of awful diseases.
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elitemsh » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:01 pm

Around this time where food was scarce and famine was a regular occurence, cannabilism occurred quite frequently and since women of this time would be treated like animals (in some respects), eating them would not be that big of a shock. Liu An feeding his wife to Liu Bei can be considered to be a very kind deed and Liu Bei was right to be grateful, IMO.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Wo Long » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:06 pm

I don't know what's more shocking. Lady Wu's story about the bandits and canabalism or the fact that I've been eating while reading this entire thread. :shock:

Obviously the morals and customs of ancient China, atleast in this perticular era, were quite different than today's. It never really bothered me to read that in the novel. I mean, I knew very little about the Three Kingdoms when I first read it, so it was relieving to know that the book I'd be reading would be interesting to say the least. Sort of sick, I know, but it does add drama and makes a good story. Though it could've been omitted. Then again, I never saw the point of omitting anything from the original version (can someone tell me why Mao did that?).

Also, does this incident happen in SGZ (I believe someone already asked, but got no answer).
Me Blog.
Restore the Ming Dynasty in Beijing!
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:33 am

As I understand it, it is sort of based on what happend to Liu Bei's troops. Liu Bei couldn't feed them so they turned to cannibalisim so Mi Zhu had to sell what he had to buy food for them all
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shadowlink » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:53 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:As I understand it, it is sort of based on what happend to Liu Bei's troops. Liu Bei couldn't feed them so they turned to cannibalisim so Mi Zhu had to sell what he had to buy food for them all
lol wasnt mi zhu rich?
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium