Diao Chan: Fact or Fiction?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Diao Chan: Fact or Fiction?

Unread postby Marc » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:58 pm

Did Daio Chan really exist? The jury seems to be out on this topic. If she really did exist, then what was her raltionship with Dong Zhuo? Was she forced into it?
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Re: Daio Chan: Fact or Fiction?

Unread postby Li Ruiyue » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:03 pm

Zhuge Marc wrote:Did Daio Chan really exist? The jury seems to be out on this topic. If she really did exist, then what was her raltionship with Dong Zhuo? Was she forced into it?

Her adopted father asked her to become involved with Dong Zhou and Lu Bu to make the two turn against each other. Diao Chan agreed to the idea and that's how Dong and Diao came as one...for a short period of time. However, Diao Chan is not truely fact. Sometimes Diao is reffered to as just a servant/maid and nothing more...
Li Ruiyue
Innocent Soul

Unread postby Lady Zhuge » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:11 pm

Her name is not mentioned in any reliable historical source. The closest reference(found in Lu Bu's SGZ bio) would be the anonymous maid that Lu Bu had an affair with while he was assigned by Dong Zhuo to guard the inner houses.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

¡°ÈËÉú²»¿ÉÄÜÄÇôƽµ££¬ ÄÇôÏ뵱Ȼ£» ²»¿ÉÓÀÔ¶ÔÚÏÊ»¨¶È¹ý¡£ ÕýÈçÄǾäÀÏ»°£º ¡®ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓ¶«£¬ ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓÎ÷¡£¡¯¡±

- ÌƹúÇ¿
Lady Zhuge
Kongming's One and Only

Unread postby Man Chong » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:12 am

I doubt that she exist, for nothing mentions her. But I do think that there was a maid that had affairs with Lu Bu. The name probably came from some folklore or Luo Guanzhong made it up.
Man Chong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby EERman » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:26 am

then why did lu bu and dong zhou turn against each other history? in sgyy it is because of diao chan, but if she didn't even exsist, why did they turn against one another?
Suger Is Sweet
EERman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Man Chong » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:43 am

Quote from Lu Bu's SGZ bio
Dong Zhuo was stubborn, easily enraged, and often expressed his anger without considering the consequences. Once, being vexed [by Lü Bu], he pulled out a short lance and threw it at him. Lü Bu, being strong and agile, dodged the lance and turned to apologize to Dong Zhuo. Dong Zhuo’s anger was relieved, but Lü Bu began to secretly harbor hatred toward Dong Zhuo. Dong Zhuo had often commanded Lü Bu to guard the inner houses, but Lü Bu had an affair with one of Dong Zhuo’s maids.

So you see, the maid affair was only one of the reasons. Then later, Wang Yun convinced Lu Bu to kill Dong Zhuo.
Man Chong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby EERman » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:14 am

but wasn't the maid diao chan? or did they just give the maid the name diao chan, and made up that story?
i get it now. in sgyy he let the name of the maid lu bu had an affair with be diao chan.
Suger Is Sweet
EERman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Man Chong » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:22 am

The maid was never named. So I'm guessing that Diao Chan was a name made up by Luo Guanzhong or various folklore that developed over the years.
Man Chong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:41 pm

She exists but most likely not under the name Diao Chan ;) but now we refer her as Diao Chan for the heck of it since we need a name for an unknown concubine so therefore she exists but not her name but yah, anyone understand this?
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Marc » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:19 pm

Nope, I don't understand it. And I always thought a concubine was a sort of vegetable. Oh wait, my friend has just informed me that's a cucumber.
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium