Zhuge Liang's enemies

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Who was superior nemesis to Zhuge Liang?

Zhou Yu
25%
Sima Yi
75%

Total votes : 20

Zhuge Liang's enemies

Unread postby Koichi » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:47 am

Both these men contended with the Sleeping Dragon on the match of wits. How do you think they compare with each other? If their positions were reversed, how would they fare against Zhuge Liang?
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Man Chong » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:03 am

Although no doubt they were both talented, I respect Sima Yi over Zhou Yu because although Sun Quan trusted Zhou Yu on external affairs, Sima Yi exceled at both fields, keeping Zhuge Liang and his political opponents at bay.

I have a question. If Zhou Yu was fighting Zhuge Liang, will he still have his Wu generals? Or will he use the Wei generals? Same thing for Sima Yi.
Man Chong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Koichi » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:25 am

Hehe I meant, for example, Zhou Yu put into Sima Yi's position. This means he would have access to all of Sima Yi's resources including land, supplies, soldiers, and generals serving under him.
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby EERman » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:02 am

sima yi easy. zhou yu was beat several times by kongming, and his strategies were all inferior to kongmings, but sima yi actually bested zhuge liang at wu zhang. so sima yi. even with sima yi's rescources, zhou yu was still not as good a strategist, so zhuge liang could still beat him. if it was zhou yu at wu zhang instead of sima yi, then i think wei would have lost.
Suger Is Sweet
EERman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Man Chong » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:09 am

Ah, if Zhou Yu was at Wei, with Wei officers, fighting Shu from Han Zhong, than I think Sima Yi, at Chibi, with Wu officers, fighting Cao from Jing Zhou would do better.

Why? Some of Zhou Yu plans, including setting fire at Chibi, was given to him by others such as Lu Meng and Huang Gai.

Sima Yi's plans were all come up by himself, so I'm guessing that Sima Yi will do better.
Man Chong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Koichi » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:03 am

Hmm you guys should keep one thing in mind, both men had different ambitions. Zhou Yu wanted to expand with a small kingdom, Sima Yi wanted to defend with a large one. After Chibi, Cao Cao was broken but not killed. This meant Zhou Yu had to take risks and act quickly before he loses his opportunity. It didn't seem as Sima Yi had that type of urgency as he allowed Zhuge Liang to live to continue his campaign.
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Meng Qi of Maoling » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:41 am

I see Zhou Yu as a man to make small mistakes that would be his undoing.
Meng Qi of Maoling
Tyro

Unread postby n06guy » Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:46 am

They both fought Zhuge at different times and at different circumstances. Also in my opinion, Zhou Yu was a peoples general somewhat more than a strategist. He was well liked by the soldiers and led them and all that. Sima Yi had it going more easy for him. A abundance of soldiers, officers, supplies, and he also was defending so he had the advantage of knowing the territory. So its hard to say. Zhou Yu had less with him. But then, so did Zhuge. ... ive confused myself.
n06guy
Assistant

Unread postby White Horse General » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:15 pm

Sima Yi without a doubt

Zhou Yu is a smart arrogant little man that I did like but he couldn't do a thing agaisnt Zhuge Liang. Kongming used him like a puppet. Sima Yi on the otherhand while never actually being able to best Zhuge Liang in battle was able to turn him back several times and predict his movements. Never could see through the battle plans but he always knew where Zhuge Liang would go so he could block him; than he'd find some way to turn him around ( sending Guo Hai was it? to spread rumors in Chengdu of Zhuge Liang' planning revolt, that worked well ).
Sings we a dance of wolves;
Who smell fear and slay a coward.
Sings we a dance of man;
Who smells gold and slays his brother.
White Horse General
Master

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:11 pm

Sima Yi, without a doubt was superior to Zhou Yu in every way. He knew what Kongming would do and could counter. Zhou Yu was too emotional and fought with his heart and not with his brain. Sima Yi fought very tactfully and was a little more organized than Zhou Yu. Zhou Yu never had a successful attack or counter attack against Zhuge, while Sima held off a full invasion of Wei, all the while Zhuge was using cheap tricks like sending womens clothes to Sima Yi, that sort of shows that Zhuge was getting desperate, and he knew in the end that he would not be able to win the battle.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium