Lu Bu. Powerful or Pathetic?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Powerful
68%
Pathetic
20%
Not sure (please explain)
3%
Okay Warrior
9%

Total votes : 109

Unread postby Sima Hui » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:23 pm

I hear that Lu Bu was the greatest warrior during the 3 kingdoms. But what do YOU think? Personally I think his power was exaggerated but that he was a match for Guan Yu.
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Ts'ao Jian » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:33 pm

Going by SGYY... Lu Bu was the most powerful warrior. He held even with Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, and Liu Bei until they tired him out and he ran off.
Now heroes are men who cherish lofty designs in their bosoms and have plans to achieve them; they have all-embracing schemes, and the whole world is at their mercy. -Ts'ao Ts'ao

Hell is other people. -Tagline of No Exit
Ts'ao Jian
Langzhong

Unread postby EERman » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:03 pm

he was the strongest warrior of the time. like Ts'ao Jian said, he held of guan yu, zhang fei, and liu bei. no one matched his power.
Suger Is Sweet
EERman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Asellas » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:18 pm

Lu Bu was quite pathetic in my opinion. Sure he was strong, could take down many soldiers but that is really all he was good for. He betrayed his father for a beautiful women, Diao Chan whom is fictional (The name and person though apprently she was a maiden but not Diao Chan), he listened to Cheng Gong too much and he never really cared about unifying China at the beginning, just about showing off his prowess and skill.
Heh, he was an incompetent foolish warrior if you ask me who never did hold off the "three brothers" historically.
He was one for a short temper oh and getting drunk because he had no discipline.
Why did Song Xian, Wei Xu and all defect... though he wasthe most or one of them in his prime but deficient as well.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Morg » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:26 pm

I see Lu Bu as being an incredibly powerful fighter but he didn't have the necessary talents to be a leader or ruler. I don't see him as being pathetic because not everyone has what it takes to lead, I just see him as being an ambitious guy who gained more power than he could successfully wield.
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Unread postby XuShu » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:40 pm

In my opinion, as a warrior, he was the best of the best. But in every other aspect, he is worthless, and pathetic overall. Since I thought that this post was about strength, I put down that he was strong.

My true opinion is that he is hopeless and not very good at anything except turning traitor.
Wisdom is knowing what to say, and not saying it.

Of all the weapons of death, desire is the most destructive.
XuShu
Apprentice

Unread postby Lafeel » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:54 pm

As a warrior Lu Bu was a incredibly powerfull adversary, but his weaknesses really outweigh his abillities. For example he was easily manipulated bu people, I can think of many exaples where he was manipulated into doing things. For example when he killed his father and joined Dong Zhuo. At least that is my opinion.
Lafeel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lu Wei » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:32 am

Pathetic. A traitorous man who didnt need much to switch sides. I despise him, as he ruined a great man (Chen Gong). Chen Gong could have saved Xuzhou from Cao Cao if Lu Bu had listened, but unfortunately he didnt. Maybe if Chen Gong had arrived when Liu Bei was in control, things would have been MUCH different.
Lu Wei
Langzhong

Unread postby White Horse General » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:00 am

Definatly powerful.

He fought Guan Yu, Zhange Fei, and Liu Bei alone. During his battles with Cao Cao he fought off several of Cao Cao's generals at once ( I believe it was Six ). Nobody could match Lu Bu ( I think they even have Cao Cao saying that himself in the novel ); just as when Ma Chao struck fear into Cao Cao from his physical prowress he exclaimed " He's another Lu Bu! ".

Lu Bu's defeat however is he never took good advice when it was given to him. In all honesty Chen Gong was a very smart man in my opinion who produced nothing but sound and effective strategy, but hardly even half the time would Lu Bu listen to it. I honestly believe had Lu Bu listened to Chen Gong much more often: between that, his own power, and with men like Zhang Liao under him, the Three Kingdoms era could have turned out dramatically differant.
Sings we a dance of wolves;
Who smell fear and slay a coward.
Sings we a dance of man;
Who smells gold and slays his brother.
White Horse General
Master

Unread postby Koichi » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:07 am

The Three Kingdoms was a period renowned for the martial prowess of their warriors. Yet Lu Bu was popularly believed to be the strongest of all of them. A man like that just cannot be defined as pathetic. Even going by the novel, Lu Bu's worst traits were shared by a number of other characters.

1) Lu Bu ignored advice- oh come on, the better question is which ruler in the novel NEVER ignored advice? Rulers have their ambitions and their own way of doing it. Only in hindsight can we judge good or bad advice.

2) Lu Bu was emotional- It's true Lu Bu ignored sound, military advice to take care of his wife and daughter. Numerous times in the novel, Liu Bei also ignored good advice because he held to his beliefs (Xuzhou+ Jingzhou) or was driven by his emotions (Yiling).

3) Lu Bu betrayed his masters- Ok that was pretty bad. In my opinion that's actually his worst quality, one that's difficult to match in the novel. Yet very often, when a certain other purple-bearded, green-eyed character of whom shall remain nameless *wink wink* was berated for betraying an ally, people were very supportive of him because he was just looking out for himself. Well, the Three Kingdoms favored opportunists and Lu Bu was also looking out for himself.
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium