Best/Favourite Kingdom (and Why?) Discussion

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Best/Favourite of the Three Kingdoms?

Wei
33%
Shu
40%
Wu
27%

Total votes : 398

Re: Best/Favourite Kingdom (and Why?) Discussion

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:46 pm

I agree with ivolga that at least part of it was a signal to his officers and his soldiers. I value my men and look what happens if you are like Dian Wei, look what will happen to your family.

Cao Cao did mourn Cao Ang (while scholars hated over-mourning, I think failing to mourn the death of your eldest son would be considered a bit strange) and one annotation suggests Cao Cao was haunted by it in his old age.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby greencactaur » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:05 am

ivolga wrote:I've got an impression that Cao Cao mourning Dian Wei or prioritizing his death over Cao Ang's was to create good PR among his generals. I don't want to say that Cao Cao wasn't sincere in his grief - just that he used it to gain more loyalty from his followers by showing them that he values his warriors more than his own kinsmen.

I'm speaking my personal opinion, and I've never had a son so I don't know if it really counts, but if my good friend died I would mourn the death of the friend more then my family. I think it also kind of depends on the person. I mean it might sound weird in current culture, but I think the fact that you choose your friends, and not your family actually makes me want to care for my friends more. Maybe i'm just weird haha.
greencactaur
Academic

Unread postby knightofhonnor » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:28 pm

Personally, I like Wei the most. I'd also argue that Wei was the only kingdom that didn't suffer too badly from the death of it's first ruler (I say this as a Crusader Kings 2 player, and Zhuge Liang reminds me of an ambitious regent, the bane of many a kingdom in that game. :lol: )

But, if we're talking about some of the other rulers and their kingdoms/provinces, I've got an odd soft spot in my heart for Ding Yuan. The first lord to rise against Dong Zhuo, only to fall foul of vile treachery from one of his own commanders. And considering the armies Dong Zhuo had at the time, he was also incredibly brave, too.
I have the great and magical power to kill any thread I wish, merely by commenting. Do you have such power? I thought not.
knightofhonnor
Tyro

Unread postby Shao Shanshu » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Shu - just for the sake of keeping the Han dynasty.
Before Liu Xie's abdication - certainly Wei.
Shao Shanshu
Apprentice

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium