Best/Favourite Kingdom (and Why?) Discussion

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Best/Favourite of the Three Kingdoms?

Wei
33%
Shu
40%
Wu
27%

Total votes : 398

Re: Best/Favourite Kingdom (and Why?) Discussion

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:48 pm

Would it surprise anyone to know that I actually like all of the kingdoms? Sure I like some better then others, but despite the fact that I like Wu the least doesn't mean I dislike them. They did what they felt they needed to survive and they had some amazingly interesting people among them. However I always love me an underdog so Shu has always been my favorite. Shocking I know.

I liked reading the bio of Hao Zhao, his stratagies at Chen Cang were very impressive and I wish he did more things like that. I like it when people turn impossible siege defenses into amazing moments, like Huo Jun who not only defended against a much larger force for a year but then went out and defeated that huge force with his tiny army. :lol:

Still some of my favorite generals were Yue Jin and Li Dian, mainly because after Kessen 2 it was so awesome to find out that they were actually very skilled officers who accomplished great things.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:20 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I don't think Hao Zhao gets overshadowed, if anything Chen Cang makes him a more popular figure then most with his career record get

That's likely true. His career is very unspectacular against most figures with his level of respect. Dying right after the battle that put him on the map big time does not help.

Hate his quote about just robbing graves as he passed, but I otherwise really like him.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Elskidor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:24 pm

Wu.

I've always liked them. Sun Jian, Sun Ce, Sun Quan, Zhou Yu, Lu Su, Lu Meng Lu Xun, Gan Ning and more. Such an excellent cast of raw talent. They didn't come across as a bully, or waste time with endless insanity campaigns. The simply want what is theirs and want to be left alone, and I like that.
Elskidor
Tyro

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:43 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I liked reading the bio of Hao Zhao, his stratagies at Chen Cang were very impressive and I wish he did more things like that. I like it when people turn impossible siege defenses into amazing moments, like Huo Jun who not only defended against a much larger force for a year but then went out and defeated that huge force with his tiny army. :lol:

A Shu general named Luo Xian did the same against Lu Kang I believe.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:40 pm

Shen Ai wrote:
LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I liked reading the bio of Hao Zhao, his stratagies at Chen Cang were very impressive and I wish he did more things like that. I like it when people turn impossible siege defenses into amazing moments, like Huo Jun who not only defended against a much larger force for a year but then went out and defeated that huge force with his tiny army. :lol:

A Shu general named Luo Xian did the same against Lu Kang I believe.

Yeah, but to a lesser extent. If I remember correctly it was after Liu Shan surrendered, Luo Xian and his people were trying to figure out if they should surrender or resist when Lu Kang attacked them. Luo Xian got angry about this and resisted him. After a few months of holding off the much larger Wu forces I think he managed to drive him off temporarily. During that time he sent a message to Sima Zhao to surrender. Lu Kang showed up with even more troops but then retreated when the Wei army showed up.

It is very possible that without Sima Zhao sending support that Luo Xian would have fallen eventually, but considering that Lu Kang was basically the best Wu had at the time it is impressive that Luo managed to hold him back.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:31 pm

I personally find Luo Xian to be slightly more impressive than Hao Zhao.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:44 am

Well I believe he did hold out for longer then Hao Zhao without reinforcements. However like Hao Zhao I believe he did little to nothing afterwards.

I cannot find his bio, but did Luo Xian go with Hi Yi to take control of Jiao for Jin? I remember reading a bio for Luo Xian a long time ago but for the life of me i cannot find it again.

I do think that characters like Huo Jun and Luo Xian get glossed over as while Huo Jun's amazing defense was against a couple of Liu Zhang officers who are only mentioned in his bio I believe, and Luo Xian only fought one battle at the end of Shu. There isn't much to talk about because while amazing, their careers aren't exactly long.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:49 pm

If I recall rightly, Luo Xian was a childhood prodigy whose career was stunted by opposing Huang Hao and after he joined Jin, did indeed fight Wu then bio ends.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:49 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:If I recall rightly, Luo Xian was a childhood prodigy whose career was stunted by opposing Huang Hao and after he joined Jin, did indeed fight Wu then bio ends.

That sounds about right, it is sad, Shu-Han did have some decent officers at the end. If they were used correctly they could have lasted longer, winning of course was still a huge longshot. Of course even if they did survive longer Wu would still implode.
It is funny, Wei was stronger then both Wu and Shu-Han combined (in solders and talent) but it took both kingdoms sabotaging themselves to near oblivion before either fell.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:28 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:If I recall rightly, Luo Xian was a childhood prodigy whose career was stunted by opposing Huang Hao and after he joined Jin, did indeed fight Wu then bio ends.

That sounds about right, it is sad, Shu-Han did have some decent officers at the end. If they were used correctly they could have lasted longer, winning of course was still a huge longshot. Of course even if they did survive longer Wu would still implode.
It is funny, Wei was stronger then both Wu and Shu-Han combined (in solders and talent) but it took both kingdoms sabotaging themselves to near oblivion before either fell.

Probably because Wei wasn't without their internal issues. Zhuge Dan's rebellion included some 150,000 + soldiers on his side, so things like that could be damaging.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium