Jia Xu

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Jia Xu

Unread postby n06guy » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:58 am

What do you all think of Jia Xu? Like him? Hate him? On what basis do you think of him, and what things did he do throughout his life?
n06guy
Assistant

Unread postby White Horse General » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:12 am

I like Jia Xu. In the earlier points of the novel he proved to be very smart, a capable tactician and later on he provided generally sound advice. Though in my personal opinion one of the greater minds that never got much acclaim ( I suppose since he died young ) was Guo Jia.
Sings we a dance of wolves;
Who smell fear and slay a coward.
Sings we a dance of man;
Who smells gold and slays his brother.
White Horse General
Master

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:58 am

To throw another question into the pot: Do you think Jia Xu should have served Dong Zhuo (and then Li Jue, Duan Wei, and Zhang Xiu), or did that tarnish his character? (He was the one who advised Li Jue and Guo Si to regroup the Liang province troops and take over Chang'an).

I'll post my opinion on Jia Xu in a bit. :wink:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:30 pm

Lady Wu wrote:To throw another question into the pot: Do you think Jia Xu should have served Dong Zhuo (and then Li Jue, Duan Wei, and Zhang Xiu), or did that tarnish his character? (He was the one who advised Li Jue and Guo Si to regroup the Liang province troops and take over Chang'an).

I like Jia Xu. Though he has been portrayed often in a negative light in SGYY, he's still a good adviser and his actions can be understood as from someone with strong morals.

Serving Dong Zhuo doesn't necessarily make him a bad person. Cai Yong, Cao Cao, Wang Yun and many others have worked under Dong Zhuo. If you think about it, Dong controlled the Imperial court at the time. If a person wants to serve the country, then he must be under Dong Zhuo. If I remember correctly from SGYY, he advised Li Jue and Guo Si to regroup to liang province and so on only because Wang Yun rejected their surrender. Can't blame him for wanting to save his own hide (and a number of others).

I don't remember much about Jia Xu except this, his one battle with Cao Cao (in which he totally outsmarts Cao Cao) and his advices to Cao Pi. Cao Pi was the oldest son at the time, and the morals, customs and history of the time indicated that the eldest should succeed the throne. He was simply following his own sense of right and wrong.
Last edited by Seven at One Stroke on Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Naurek » Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:40 pm

I like Jia Xu. We was a good advisor. He served his masters well, whomever they were. I would say Jia Xu serving Dong Zhou didn't tarnish his character, because Dong Zhou was the "big cheese" at the time.
Naurek
Master

Unread postby Lance » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:29 pm

Jia Xu was the driving force behind Li Jue's and Guo Si's rise to power, and was a huge reason Zhang Xiu was able to hold off Cao Cao for as long as he did. However, undoubtedly his greatest achievement was driving a wedge between Han Sui and Ma Chao. A brilliant ploy, executed to perfection. Jia Xu may not be great on morals(he flowed from one lord to the next easily enough....at least until he ended up with Cao Cao) but there is no doubt he was one of the best strategists of the time.
Landing the first blow is nice, but only the blow that counts is the last!
Lance
Scholar

Unread postby n06guy » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:42 pm

So does that mean the majority of you like him even though hes supposedly weak in loyalty, but brilliant minded?
n06guy
Assistant

Unread postby Naurek » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:48 pm

Who said he was weak in loyalty? He was loyal to his leaders when they were in power. Dong Zhou died. Jia Xu wanted a new job, Li Jue was hiring. Li Jue died, Jia Xu needed a job, Zhang Xiu was hiring. Jia Xu knew the smartest thing to do for Zhang Xiu was to surrender to Cao Cao, so when that happened Cao Cao became Jia Xu's lord. Jia Xu didn't betray his lords, he gave them sound advice. So that makes him even more brilliant.
Naurek
Master

Unread postby EERman » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:11 pm

um pretty much what Naurek just said, but i like him.
Suger Is Sweet
EERman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari Ishida » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:36 pm

I think Jia Xu was a very experienced loyal adviser to Cao Cao. He was experienced because he had been adviser to Li Jue then Zhang Xiu and had given them the best advise. He then realised that both of them weren't the best leaders to support and eventually moved under Cao Cao. He then began as a long serving loyal adviser to Cao Cao.
Mitsunari Ishida
Scholar

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium