If Shan Fu helped Cao Cao

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

If Shan Fu helped Cao Cao

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:15 pm

What do you think would happen if instead of Shan Fu refusing to devise a stratagem for Cao Cao, he helped him to the fullest of his abilities. Personally I think that Shan Fu would have told Cao about the boats being tied together and Cao would have thus won at the battle of Chi Bi and nearly totally annihilated Wu.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:04 am

Lets see if Shan Fu had helped Cao Cao, the events following would've changed so much it'd be nearly impossible to predict wat happens. Intially the battle of Chibi would've completely changed or maybe would've never happened. Cuse Shan Fu helping Cao Cao would have probably provoked Liu Bei into taking Jingzhou and thus Zhuge Liang repelling Cao Cao's army from Jingzhou. The Wu-Shu alliance may never happen and as a result it could see Liu Bei making a direct attack on Wu while there busy fighting Cao Cao on the front lines.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Li Ruiyue » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:42 pm

Obviously Cao Cao would've triumped over Shu and Wu, and Shan Fu's advice (if he did give out advice to Cao Cao) would've helped Cao Cao secure all of China, i think.
Li Ruiyue
Innocent Soul

Unread postby GenFusha » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:11 pm

:?: Shan Fu is Xu Shu right? If so.... heck yes, Cao Cao
would have dominated. Having Sima Yi and Xu Shu >>>>>>
having Pang Tong and Zhuge Liang.
GenFusha
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lu Wei » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:00 pm

Yes Shan Fu is Xu Shu. Basically that would have been it for Liu Bei and Sun Quan. If they lost at Chi Bi it would have been pretty much over.
Lu Wei
Langzhong

Xu Shu

Unread postby Cao Zijian » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:54 am

What you guys say got me wondering...

You guys might have already know the only reason Xu Shu went over to Wei was because his mum was held as hostage by Cao Cao. Imagine yourself as a strategist, what is the point of paying you if you do not contribute at all.

Quoting from Xu Shu, " As long as I am alive, I shall devise no strategies for the likes of Cao Cao"

If I were Cao Cao, I would assume 'yang hu wei huan; rearing tiger is a danger' and have Xu Shu executed! :wink:
Cao Zijian
Apprentice

Re: Xu Shu

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:09 am

Cao Zijian wrote:What you guys say got me wondering...

You guys might have already know the only reason Xu Shu went over to Wei was because his mum was held as hostage by Cao Cao. Imagine yourself as a strategist, what is the point of paying you if you do not contribute at all.

Quoting from Xu Shu, " As long as I am alive, I shall devise no strategies for the likes of Cao Cao"

If I were Cao Cao, I would assume 'yang hu wei huan; rearing tiger is a danger' and have Xu Shu executed! :wink:

Cao Cao knew that Xu Shu was useless as a strategist after his mother died, but he also knew that his pride would prevent him from ever returning to Liu Bei, etc... (Cao was a good judge of character, I suppose). Letting Xu Shu wallow around was good because Cao didn't have to worry about any negative popular sentiment from executing him. He also had an intimidating name on his roster (Zhuge Liang said that Cao had great men working for him), because most people just knew he was brilliant and didn't know he had essentially taken himself out of service.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:17 am

GenFusha wrote::?: Shan Fu is Xu Shu right? If so.... heck yes, Cao Cao
would have dominated. Having Sima Yi and Xu Shu >>>>>>
having Pang Tong and Zhuge Liang.

I don't think Sima Yi was on the roster until much later......after Cao Cao's death at least! The dominant advisors then were Xun Yu, Xun You, Cheng Yu, and Man Chong I think......since Guo Jia was dead already and Jia Xu was just starting - she wasn't at the top yet
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:15 am

I don't think having an extra strategist would give Cao Cao much more of an edge over Liu Bei and Sun Quan. Unlike the other two, Cao Cao is quite independent, and rather than using his think-tank to come up with plans for him, he uses them to confirm his plans. Perhaps Xu Shu, if he was so smart, would have warned Cao Cao against going to war with Sun Quan at Chibi. Well, Jia Xu did tell him not to do it, but did he listen? Cao Cao had a plan to dominate the world, and conquering Wu was the crucial move to him. He needed advisors who could confirm that he could do it, and help him out when he's at it.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:18 pm

Lady Wu wrote:I don't think having an extra strategist would give Cao Cao much more of an edge over Liu Bei and Sun Quan. Unlike the other two, Cao Cao is quite independent, and rather than using his think-tank to come up with plans for him, he uses them to confirm his plans. Perhaps Xu Shu, if he was so smart, would have warned Cao Cao against going to war with Sun Quan at Chibi. Well, Jia Xu did tell him not to do it, but did he listen? Cao Cao had a plan to dominate the world, and conquering Wu was the crucial move to him. He needed advisors who could confirm that he could do it, and help him out when he's at it.

What you say is true! However, there is a difference between Jia Xu's warning and a potential warning from Xu Shu, because Xu Shu was there and witnessed the scheming. If Xu Shu had decided to open his mouth and betray Pang Tong's plans, Cao would have listened.

Which raises an interesting question: Would Cao have believed Xu Shu? Or would he have thought Xu Shu was being deceptive and trying to trick him in order to benefit Liu Bei?
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium