Pang Tong

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Pang Tong

Unread postby LittleConqueror » Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:18 am

How would Pang Tong affect Shu had he lived longer? I don't think he would have done much. He probaly would have wasted his skills.
"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"
LittleConqueror
Scholar

Unread postby Pang Shiyuan » Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:39 am

Wasted? If Pang Tong had survived, he could have been posted in Jing Zhou to advice Guan Yu from making a rash move like removing the border defences at Jiang Xia.
Pang Shiyuan
凤雏先生

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:59 am

Pang Shiyuan wrote:Wasted? If Pang Tong had survived, he could have been posted in Jing Zhou to advice Guan Yu from making a rash move like removing the border defences at Jiang Xia.

I don't think so. Zhuge Liang would sent him north so he could get killed by Cao Cao. :lol:
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Harimau » Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:04 pm

Zhou Gongjin wrote:
Pang Shiyuan wrote:Wasted? If Pang Tong had survived, he could have been posted in Jing Zhou to advice Guan Yu from making a rash move like removing the border defences at Jiang Xia.

I don't think so. Zhuge Liang would sent him north so he could get killed by Cao Cao. :lol:

Or kill Cao Cao. There is actually a chance he may be able to, considering his supposed skill.
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:27 pm

Harimau wrote:Or kill Cao Cao. There is actually a chance he may be able to, considering his supposed skill.

Zhuge Liang could not stand Pang Tong in Shu if he were equal to him. So he will do the same as with Wei yan.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:28 am

Zhou Gongjin wrote:
Harimau wrote:Or kill Cao Cao. There is actually a chance he may be able to, considering his supposed skill.

Zhuge Liang could not stand Pang Tong in Shu if he were equal to him. So he will do the same as with Wei yan.

I don't know about history of Pang Tong, but in the SGYY it was Pang Tong who was jealous of Zhuge Liang, and not the other way around...

As for the topic, like I said I don't really have the background of Pang Tong so I'll answer based on the novel and somebody can hop in here and shoot down my argument :lol: . I think if he hadn't been killed then he would be a definite asset to Shu, because they would have had someone who could have lightened the workload for Kongming. Also, he could have helped with the defense of Jing, and maybe later advised Liu Bei in the war against Wu...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Wei Yan » Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:26 pm

From what I read, they were jealous of each other. Zhuge Liang cold not stand someone equal to him. Pang Tong was always disagrreeing with him. When Pang Tong wanted to attack, Zhuge Liang disagreed and vice versa.
"To obtain peace we must go to war. If only the world was a lot easier"
Wei Yan
Langzhong

Unread postby Pang Shiyuan » Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:06 pm

In all the history books I've read so far, there was never any animosity between Zhuge and Pang Tong. Pang Tong was accidently killed in a siege during Liu Bei's attack at Yizhou, and thus, Shu lost a potential strategist. Even in history, it is acknowledged that Zhuge Liang and Pang Shiyuan were the sages of the three kingdoms era.

Most of you have said Zhuge Liang would be jealous of Pang Tong. Here are some facts:

Fa Zheng, who demonstrated his strategic talent at the Capture of Han Zhong was promoted to Prefect of Shu. Zhuge Liang never laid his hands on him, and respected him as a peer.

Even though Zhuge Liang clearly had his prejudices against Wei Yan and Li Yan, I would doubt Pang Tong would be included in his hit list.

Referring to SGYY: It was Zhuge Liang who recommended Pang Tong.
Pang Shiyuan
凤雏先生

Unread postby Wei Yan » Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:24 am

Well I didnt mean a big jealousy. What I meant was that Zhuge Liang got a little irritated that someone was equal to him even if that person was recommended by him.
"To obtain peace we must go to war. If only the world was a lot easier"
Wei Yan
Langzhong

Unread postby Chen Zhen » Sun Aug 11, 2002 5:45 pm

but isn't he (kongming) the one who recommended pang tong to liu bei?
well... pang tong might have a chance to prove himself if he keep serving Wu...ain't he?
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius-
"Ziggy played guitar,jamming good with Weird and Gilly and the spiders from Mars"
-David Robert Jones-
Chen Zhen
Student

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium