Guan Di and Guan Yu

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Guan Di and Guan Yu

Unread postby cookyandcrazy » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:38 am

Someone please enlighten me on the two. Are they one in the same or different?

Excerpt taken from Encyclopedia of Mythology--

<i>Guan Di was originally a general called Guan Gong or Guan Yo, who lived in the third century AD, during a time of turmoil at the close of the Han dynasty. He was renowned for his military skill, but he also came to be admired for his great courage and loyalty, since he was eventually executed by his enemy as a prisoner of war because he refused to change his allegiance. Because of his many virtues he was later deified, being oficially recognized as a god at the end of the 16th century. Guan Di is respresented as a giant dressed in green with a long beard and a red face.</i>

End of the Han, executed for not changing sides, long beard, red face.. Sounds alot like Guan Yu to me.

Maybe a translation error? I dunno. SOMEONE PLEASE FILL ME IN lol :D
cookyandcrazy
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Zhuge » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:34 am

Guan Di sounds like Guan Yu to me as well. I wonder if the 'di' in this case refers to 'brother'(弟) or to 'god'/'emperor'(帝). I suppose either would make some sense. I know for sure that Guan Gong is Guan Yu. They must have made a mistake referring to him as Guan Yo or was that just a typo?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

¡°ÈËÉú²»¿ÉÄÜÄÇôƽµ££¬ ÄÇôÏ뵱Ȼ£» ²»¿ÉÓÀÔ¶ÔÚÏÊ»¨¶È¹ý¡£ ÕýÈçÄǾäÀÏ»°£º ¡®ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓ¶«£¬ ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓÎ÷¡£¡¯¡±

- ÌƹúÇ¿
Lady Zhuge
Kongming's One and Only

Unread postby Zhilong » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:57 am

If Yo isn't a typo it must be different dialect pronounciation or different romanisation.

I think the Di refers to god/emperor/lord... a kind of honorific.
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Unread postby Starscream » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:15 am

Actually, it is written as 关帝, the title of 'emperor' given shows the amount of respect the chinese accord to Guan Yu today. I think MNB did have a post somewhere to explain the rise in immortal status of Guan Yu. :D I think the devotees usually refer Guan Yu as Guan Gong or Guan Di than his actual name.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Guan Di

Unread postby Iain » Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:24 am

I have the same book I think or a revised copy it is "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology" by Arthur Cotterell and Rachel Storm.
There is an paragraph before the posted one that states.
Guan Di, or Kuan-ti, is the Daoist patron deity of soldiers and policemen. He protects the realm and looks after state officials.
During the Chinese Qing dynasty(1644-1912), Guan Di was venerated for his warlike functions. In other periods he was regarded as the guardiann of righteousness who protects men from strife and evil.
In popular belief, Guan Di was famed for casting out demons. He was also called upon to provide information about people who had died and to predict the future.

Might explain all those ghostly sightings of Guan Yu following his death for years afterwards, people may have held him in such high respect they wanted to feel he was out there somewhere protecting them.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby GuangRong » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:49 am

Guan Di and Guan Gong is oredi truncated from

Guan Wu di/Guan Lao Ye/Guan Di Gong etc. etc.

and then there's Guan Er Ge.. :D :D

Guan Di as a diety got a big push during the control- freak Ming and Qing regime.. The "Di" title is actually bestow officially by a Qing Emperor (forgot who)
b'cos he represented undying Loyalty., a quality the the Court want most from it's pple and subjects..
Magister mundi sum!!
GuangRong
Langzhong

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Mon May 17, 2004 2:51 am

Here is a link to a longer piece of info on Guan Yu as Taoist god of war.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/g/guan-di.html

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Bryan » Mon May 17, 2004 2:56 pm

It says in that link that his original name was Zhang, and later he changed it to Guan... is Zhang the same name as Chang (as in Changyun 雲長 or Changsheng 長生)? Sorry if I branched off(-topic) here!
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby harshbarge » Mon May 17, 2004 11:30 pm

So people cant blame LGZ for making Guan Yu out to be a God, they have to blame 15 centuries of Chinese culture
You've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life
harshbarge
Master

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed May 19, 2004 1:33 am

I think Luo's portrayal of Guan Yu is actually rather conservative compared to the tradition that established him as a god. I certainly don't think Luo meant to portray him as literally godlike. I don't think ghostly appearances and some supernatural revenge corrolates with deity-like ability, especially considering the long history of Chinese superstition regarding the dead.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium