Diao Chan

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Which kingdom should she of joined?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:56 am

Shu
42%
Wu
8%
Wei
17%
Other
33%

Total votes : 12

Diao Chan

Unread postby Musou » Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:56 am

Okay, we all know Zhang Liao, defected to Wei after Lu Bu's death.

So if Diao Chan had defected which kingdom would she of joined?
Musou
Academic

Unread postby Shu whu shang » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:39 am

I say shu. Who did she go to?
Shu whu shang
Student

Unread postby Asellas » Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:26 am

Diao Chan was actually fictional or not well known like she is on DW's(The name I believe) but there was someone who was a maiden of Dong Zhuo and who got close with Lu Bu in order to get Dong Zhuo killed by Lu Bu.

http://www.kongming.net/novel/sgyy/diaochan.php

There is a lot of info there so you might want to read all about her on through that link.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Shu whu shang » Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:36 am

I think it was dian chan that lured Lu bu to kill Dong zhuo i readed it some wear. But isnt dian chan Dong zhou doughter?
Shu whu shang
Student

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:56 am

Shu whu shang wrote:I think it was dian chan that lured Lu bu to kill Dong zhuo i readed it some wear. But isnt dian chan Dong zhou doughter?

Since this is the SGYY Symposium and not SGZ Symposium, I wouldn't even bother to address the historical issue of Diao Chan's existence.

So basically, yes to the first part and no to the second. She was one of Wang Yun's servants and probably had parents elsewhere, and most likely had no blood relation with Dong Zhuo (we can always speculate, but that would make Wang Yun a VERY sinister man... now that's an idea for an "unorthodox historical tale").

Though it's never mentioned, IMO Diao Chan probably just ended up Cao Pi's wife and moved into the Bronze Bird Pavilion eventually. Liu Bei was just a guest general (more like a prisoner) of Cao Cao's, so there's no reason why he got the spoil (he didn't get the Red Hare or Zhang Liao either).

On a side note, in the Chinese version of SGYY I have, it says Diao Chan's age is twice-eight, meaning 16 when she first appeared; but on the rotk e-book from Kongming.net says:

http://www.kongming.net/novel/dl/rotk.zip wrote:This maiden had been brought up in his palace, where she had been taught to sing and dance. At twenty-one, she was then just bursting into womanhood, a pretty and clever girl whom Wang Yun regarded more as a daughter than a dependant.

I wonder why the age bump?
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Morg » Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:22 pm

Seven at One Stroke wrote:On a side note, in the Chinese version of SGYY I have, it says Diao Chan's age is twice-eight, meaning 16 when she first appeared

28 meaning 16? Can you explain that in a bit more depth?
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Unread postby waynethegame » Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:04 pm

Morg wrote:28 meaning 16? Can you explain that in a bit more depth?

Not 28 (that's what I thought it was at first, too!), twice-eight or eight x 2
++ Wayne ++

"Better to wrong the world than let it wrong me!"
- Cao Cao
waynethegame
Student

Unread postby Morg » Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:13 pm

Ah, I've seen it translated as '28' so I just read the post above as '28' as well. So the Chinese version of the book says 16 then? I think I've got some revisions to make...
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Diao Chan

Unread postby Iain » Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:59 pm

Thats interesting the book I read said she was, "Just bursting into womanhood" when she first was charged with the plot to seperate Dong and Bu.
Perhaps she was a late bloomer?
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Re: Diao Chan

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:41 pm

Musou wrote:Okay, we all know Zhang Liao, defected to Wei after Lu Bu's death.

So if Diao Chan had defected which kingdom would she of joined?

I'm not sure she would have joined any kingdom much less 'defected'... according to the novel at least, she was used to cause a division in Dong Zhuo's kingdom between Dong Zhuo and Lu Bu. So if you're suggesting, what would happen if she had left Lu Bu after he killed Dong Zhuo... well, my guess is that she likely would have been killed (if I am understanding of the culture here, but I'm likely not, I'm such a newb. :oops: ). If she wasn't killed.. she probably would have gone to the first man willing to take her as his wife, 'smy guess. Seven at One Stroke I think has the best idea there though about what likely happened to her.

As for Diao Chan's age, I would assume she was 16 - 21. Though I grant most women were married off early, I think that songstresses such as she was would have been married off later, since they had more training in their life, like a geisha who wouldn't be fully trained until later in their years?
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium