Is Dian Wei under appreciated?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Is Dian Wei under appreciated?

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:34 pm

I think Dian Wei was one of the greatest duelists of the time. And on top of that he was one of the most loyal. He was also a great general. He led a campaign against Lu Bu. He saved Cao Caos life on more than one occasion, like in the battle against Lu Bu he killed 10 men by throwing battle axes, and battle axes aren't very light. He also used two ninety pound halberds while mounted on a horse. Then there is his truly heroic death. First they get him drunk to weaken him and then they steal his armor and halberds because they were afraid of him. He then holds off over one hundred men singlehandedly with no armor and an infantrymans sword while drunk. When the sword broke he used the enemies bodies as weapons. The only reason he died was because they had bows and arrows. When Cao Cao heard he was dead he grieved more over Dian Wei than he did over his own son, then gave Dian Weis son a high powered court position, even though his son never did anything to earn it. I just think its ridiculous to called Dian Wei, and even Xu Zhu for that matter, just Cao Caos body guard when they were so much more.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Andrew » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:23 am

I think he is under appricheated, he is often forgotten concidering for how little he was in the book, if he had lived to the age of lets say Zhang Liao I think the Wei kingdom would have done much better (even thoughI'm a Shuist)
Formerly known as XiahouDun-22
Andrew
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Dan Wei

Unread postby Iain » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:10 am

Well for a guy who appears maybe twenty pages in the books you would think he has been over represented in the games, Xu Zhu is far more famous for being Cao Cao's bodyguard than Dan Wei anyway.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Shu whu shang » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:17 am

He was my favrite character in dw 2. I didnt even take upp uppgrades so much didnt know what they did.

SO hi was an mega warrior. So all of the dw chars didnt live in the same time.
Last edited by Shu whu shang on Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shu whu shang
Student

Unread postby Morg » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:32 am

Yes and no. Considering how long he lived and how he did very little, he's got quite a following and he was included in the DW games while other generals who accomplished a lot more don't get half as much recognition. However, I do agree that if he had lived longer then maybe he would have become more integral to the 3 kingdoms.
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:12 pm

I hate to repeat myself but he did a lot in the little time that he was alive. Just look at some of his accomplishments that i posted at the top of this subject. How can u say he did little. Zhang Hes only great accomplishment was at Jie Ting, where he fought an inept commander. There are many generals that are way overappreciated. Zhuge Liang was not a great military leader, he was a very skilled in politics. Ma Chao, Zhang Fei and Guan Yu were all very skilled duelist but they were horrible tacticians and only won battles because they had many helping them. Also Zhao Yun was only Liu Beis bodyguard and he is considered a great general, but his position as a general was only a figurehead position and he had only about 3000 soldiers under him at any given time
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Morg » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:27 pm

My point is that Zhu Ran, Cheng Pu, Han Dang, Yue Jin, Yu Jin, Deng Ai, Ma Dai and even Pang De accomplished more than Dian Wei, but yet they don't get anywhere near as much recognition as Dian Wei because they weren't playable in Dynasty Warriors.

You mention in your first post Dian Wei's accomplishments which amount to saving Cao Cao from Lu Bu's army twice and saving Cao Cao from Zhang Xiu's sneak attack and being "one of the greatest duelists of all time" despite him only dueling Xu Chu (that I can think of). If you read the bios of some of the men I have listed above, you will see that he did indeed accomplish very very little compared to any of them.

I am not saying that no-one else is over-rated, far from it (I think Ma Chao couldn't be more over-rated...). However, I am saying that Dian Wei is considered to be so much better than generals who did so much more than him for their respective kingdoms and that is over-rating too.

Dian Wei did his job. He was a bodyguard and if he hadn't saved Cao Cao on those three occasions then history could have been very different.

As for Zhang He, I agree that he is over-rated too but he still did a fair bit. He was one of Yuan Shao's best generals before he defected to Wei. He was instrumental in Cao Cao winning Guan Du, helped crush Ma Chao's rebellion, he was part of the force that took Hanzhong and finally was a major part of Jie Ting as you said. So his accomplishments were a little more than Jie Ting...but not a lot more ;)
Morg
The Man

Unread postby Shu whu shang » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:25 am

Where do you find all this info? at first i didnt even know there was an era like this in china. So is there an info site or something?
Shu whu shang
Student

Unread postby Morg » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:16 am

Shu whu shang wrote:Where do you find all this info? at first i didnt even know there was an era like this in china. So is there an info site or something?

www.kongming.net is a good place to start as there is loads of info on there.
Morg
The Man

Unread postby Shu whu shang » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:43 am

Heya thanks Morg.
Shu whu shang
Student

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium