Why didn't Zhuge Liang join Wu or Wei?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:07 pm

We all know that Liu Bei paid 3 visits to Zhuge Liang's resident to show his sincerity in wanting the latter assist him in his cause. However, the question is, why did Zhuge Liang choose Liu Bei as his master? Was it because of similar personalities and beliefs? It was widely believed that Zhuge Liang did not choose Liu Biao even though he was living on his land because he did not see Liu Biao as a capable ruler. However, what about that of Cao Cao? Perhaps he was too wicked and his notorious deeds at Xu Zhou had spread to Zhuge Liang's ear. Now, what about Sun Quan?
Last edited by Mega Zarak on Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Cao Ren » Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:42 pm

i think he didn't join them because liu bei was very appreciative of him. he also begged zhuge liang to join join him. zhuge liang couldn't turn his back on liu bei
Cao Ren
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Why didn't Zhuge Liang join Wu or Wei?

Unread postby Dennis » Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:42 pm

Great Deer wrote:We all know that Liu Bei paid 3 visits to Zhuge Liang's resident to show his sincerity in wanting the latter assist him in his cause. However, before the question is, why did Zhuge Liang choose Liu Bei as his master? Was it because of similar personalities and beliefs? It was widely believed that Zhuge Liang did not choose Liu Biao even though he was living on his land because he did not see Liu Biao as a capable ruler. However, what about that of Cao Cao? Perhaps he was too wicked and his notorious deeds at Xu Zhou had spread to Zhuge Liang's ear. Now, what about Sun Quan?

Well Xu Shu asked Liu Bei to go to Kongming, n'est pas? Going to Kongming I think showed that you really had the humility to go before a peasant become human again. That's what I think Kongming wanted, was a little humbleness. Sun Quan would probably be a second choice for Kongming, but Quan would have too much land to look after, while Bei was just essentially taking care of one place, so Quan would never have the time. Frankly, I don't think after the Shiyuan episode that Quan would be humble for Kongming anyways.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby ban wen » Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:47 pm

I did heard that Zhuge Liang and his uncle and family see Cao Cao assainate hundreds of people in Chu Zhou, therefore I think that's the reason why he didn't use Cao Cao. Secondly it is also stated somewhere that Sun Quan is also a person that loses patience quickly, one example can be his relationship with Zhang Chao (his politican officer), who he refuses his advice and try to burn his house down, however, he regreted it and after he started good friendship with Zhang Chao. On the other hand Zhuge Liang sees that Liu Bei is an able general and also have good patience and kindness to visit him three times, no matter how hard it is. In this case this can be the reason why Zhuge Liang join him instead of Cao Cao or Sun Quan
ban wen
Apprentice

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:14 am

Zhuge Liang was originally a hermit and planned to live his life out that way. He would have been perfectly content at sleeping dragon mountain but Liu Bei arrived and showed him such great kindness and virtue that Kongming joined him. Sun Quan and Cao Cao never tried to acquire him and neither did Liu Biao. Zhuge Liang did not want office, just a simple life. All that changed with Liu Bei's three visits.
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:50 am

Zhang Liao17 wrote:Zhuge Liang was originally a hermit and planned to live his life out that way. He would have been perfectly content at sleeping dragon mountain but Liu Bei arrived and showed him such great kindness and virtue that Kongming joined him. Sun Quan and Cao Cao never tried to acquire him and neither did Liu Biao. Zhuge Liang did not want office, just a simple life. All that changed with Liu Bei's three visits.

I disagree. I don't think any man who wants to lead a peaceful life (esp. that of a hermit) would bother to learn the Arts of War, befriending the powerful families of Jing Zhou, observing the turbulent events to such details, etc.
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:15 am

I think it's funny. :lol:

Zhuge Liang (in my opinion), had everyone at his fingertips. MWWAAAHAHAHA. He should have been the Emperor of Shu. Screw that idoit Liu Shan!
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Jimayo » Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:16 am

Because he had good taste.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Re: Why didn't Zhuge Liang join Wu or Wei?

Unread postby Anshi » Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:47 am

Jimayo Oyamitch wrote:Because he had good taste.

Good taste in picking a loser maybe, but not much else. :lol:
Anshi
Refined Literati Emperor

Unread postby Han Xin » Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:34 am

Great Deer wrote:I disagree. I don't think any man who wants to lead a peaceful life (esp. that of a hermit) would bother to learn the Arts of War, befriending the powerful families of Jing Zhou, observing the turbulent events to such details, etc.

:lol: May be Zhuge Liang try to earn a living by becoming a writer...

Anyway, the only reason I could think of was that Cao Cao and Sun Quan had better thing to do then wasting time visiting and begging an arrogant person like Zhuge Liang. It is notice that at this time, Sun Quan just come to the throne in Wu and probably had enough on his plates. Cao Cao had just finished off the Yuan, so the only one that had nothing better to do is Liu Bei. Also consider that LongZhong is in JingZhou (Liu Biao's land) it would be imposible for Sun Quan or Cao Cao to visit him.
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium