Were the Nanman Mongolian? Chinese?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Koichi » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:46 pm

About the Mongolians, I read about this recently. Near the end of the Yuan dynasty, Chinese rebellions began throughout the country. The Mongols who were far in the North (including the royal family) fled to their native land. The Mongols living in the South had a tougher time and alot of them fled to Yunnan, a region that I'm guessing was remote and free of Chinese influence at the time. The Mongols at Yunnan recruited local tribesmen and resisted how they could. The Ming army eventually invaded Yunnan and killed what Mongols they could find and castrated the local tribesmen that supported them. It should be noted the later Ming Admiral Zheng He was among these Yunnan-ese tribesmen who was recruited by Prince Zhu Di of Ming. This is why nowadays a number of Chinese living in the far south were found to be of Mongol ancestry.
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby The Man from Wa » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:09 am

I also heard that they were from an area that is now Vietnam? is that true?
The Man from Wa
Tyro

Location: Diao Chan's bedroom at night, Port Richey FL at day!

Unread postby Lu Wei » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:33 am

Not true. They are from the modern Chinese province of Yunnan, southwest of Sichuan(Shu). The local tribesmen Koichi just mentioned were almost positively the Miao/Nanman/Hmong themselves.
Lu Wei
Langzhong

Unread postby Elven Fury » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:25 pm

i would believe that the Nanman were more towards India or Veitnam i kno thats a long way but with some of the animals they described ie: Elephants, i would think that they were from the south and not the north.
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SesshomaruTenseiga » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:50 pm

Elven Fury wrote:i would believe that the Nanman were more towards India or Veitnam i kno thats a long way but with some of the animals they described ie: Elephants, i would think that they were from the south and not the north.

Ya, I thought they where Indian too. But the Thai also had elephants.
It's a now nothing.
SesshomaruTenseiga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elven Fury » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:49 pm

True, if you were south of China you knew of, or had elephants, the Nanman could have been many variety of peoples... I think that with the great Indian Empires, that the Nanman could have breanched off of the Indians, more so than the Vietmanese or the Thai...
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lu Wei » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:11 am

There are plenty of elephants further east than India. Tons of elephants in Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos.

Laos, in fact, was once called 'The nation of a thousand elephants.' As said, it is fairly certain the Nanman are the Miao.
Lu Wei
Langzhong

Unread postby Marx!_II » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:00 am

Could it not also be that the Nanman are another ethnicity altogether, something between modern Chinese and Southeast asian? It would stand to reason, I think, that the spread of Chinese dominance southward would cause other, less militarily sophisticated peoples to fade away. Just a thought.
Marx!_II
Changshi

Unread postby Jon » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:31 pm

I think that it is possible they were consumed by China, Marx. As were the Shan Yue and probably many other tribes.
Jon
Ladies' Man

Unread postby Xiahou Mengde88 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:20 am

I'm just going on a hunch so don't try to roast me if I'm wrong.

But I think the Nanman were the anscestors of today's Nepalese people.

I'm saying this because one of Meng Huo's officers was Dahlai Dongzhu.

I'm thinking that he was an ascendent of the Dalai lama, who if I'm not mistaken, resides in Nepal.
Charlie Murphy: "Prince, you got any towels; It's hot out here!"
Dave Chappelle (as Prince): "Well, why don't you purify yourself in the waters..of Lake Minitanka?"
Xiahou Mengde88
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium