Were the Nanman Mongolian? Chinese?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Marx!_II » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:55 am

But isn't the Dalai Lama a religious title? I think the current Lama's birth name is Tenzin Gyatso.
Marx!_II
Changshi

Unread postby Mighty Lu Bu » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:17 pm

that's Dailai Dongzhu not Dahlai
Can anybody provides me with a decent challenge ?!
Mighty Lu Bu
Initiate

Unread postby Jon » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:18 pm

Xiahou Mengde88 wrote:I'm just going on a hunch so don't try to roast me if I'm wrong.

But I think the Nanman were the anscestors of today's Nepalese people.

I'm saying this because one of Meng Huo's officers was Dahlai Dongzhu.

I'm thinking that he was an ascendent of the Dalai lama, who if I'm not mistaken, resides in Nepal.
As previously stated, Dailai Lama is *probably* a title. Even if it wasn't, I think Dalai Dongzhu was likely fictional anyway. :)
Jon
Ladies' Man

Unread postby Liu Pi » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:07 pm

I think that Morg was right in saying that the Nanman became what we now know as the Thai and Lao people. In one book i read it says that they originated in Yunnan and moved to the area now known as Thailand after their capital Nanchao was destroyed by Mongols in 1253. They then captured the Khmer city of Sukhorthai in 1350 and made it the centre of their kingdom. The Lao people invaded from Thailand during the 12th century. Or so i read. Oh it also says that the Chinese founded Vietnam in 208 B.C so according to this book they couldn't have been from Vietnam. Though i may be wrong.
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one." - James A. Froude
Liu Pi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elven Fury » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:09 pm

Jiang Wenming wrote:
Xiahou Mengde88 wrote:I'm just going on a hunch so don't try to roast me if I'm wrong.

But I think the Nanman were the anscestors of today's Nepalese people.

I'm saying this because one of Meng Huo's officers was Dahlai Dongzhu.

I'm thinking that he was an ascendent of the Dalai lama, who if I'm not mistaken, resides in Nepal.
As previously stated, Dailai Lama is *probably* a title. Even if it wasn't, I think Dalai Dongzhu was likely fictional anyway. :)

The Dailai Lama is a religious title given to The One, the leader of the peoples of Tibet, for more info I reccomend watching the movie Kundun...
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mengde88 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:23 pm

Elven Fury Said

The Dailai Lama is a religious title given to The One, the leader of the peoples of Tibet, for more info I reccomend watching the movie Kundun...

Ok, if I'm not right on this one, then I'll quit trying.

Since Dailai Dongzhu is most likely made up, then the author, or whoever made him up, maybe might have named him "Dailai" to give you some kind of clue as to what country the Nanman were from. So in that case, Elven Fury, then maybe the Nanman were from Tibet.

[/quote]
Charlie Murphy: "Prince, you got any towels; It's hot out here!"
Dave Chappelle (as Prince): "Well, why don't you purify yourself in the waters..of Lake Minitanka?"
Xiahou Mengde88
Master

Unread postby Elven Fury » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:29 pm

nice bolding man...
I think that Luo Guan Zhong could have been trying to send a message, and seeing that the Nanman were fighting in the south westish i think its all possible that they could have or parts of them could have come from Tibet... maybe the Nanman also had tribes within tribes inwhich integrated into the Whole of te Nanman... including Tibetians...
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium