What If Guo Jia was Alive? Match for Zhuge Liang?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

What If Guo Jia was Alive? Match for Zhuge Liang?

Unread postby Lord Sun Ce » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:53 pm

What if Guo Jia didn't die of an "illness" :( I think he could have matched the strategic wit of Zhuge Liang, And could of definetly prevented the disaster to Wei at Chi Bi. :twisted:
Sun Tzu: Disorder coming from order is a matter of organization, fear coming from courage is a matter of force, weakness coming from strength is a matter of formation.
Lord Sun Ce
Initiate

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:39 am

Guo Jia proved himself to be an exceptionally capable advisor, and he had Mengde's compete faith and support. Sadly, Guo Jia died before a real test of his abilties could be shown, but he showed an extreme amount of potential and would have been a worthy rival to Kongming.
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:45 am

I find Guo Jia to be quite overrated, especially in SGYY. I simply adore the way Luo Guanzhong made him into an advisor with an extreme case or precognition. De Crespigny argues this in Generals of the South, regarding Guo Jia's statements on Sun Ce's death.
Other than that, I don't see how Guo Jia was such an excellent advisor. I find his record (from what I've read) to be quite short and not too impressive to say.
And about Cao Cao having faith in him, well Zhuge Liang had faith in Jiang Wei, and we all know how he messed up.
If anyone wants to enlighten me on the Guo Jia in SGZ, please do, as I do not have time to read the Chinese biography with my busy schedule.

Lord Sun Ce wrote:And could of definetly prevented the disaster to Wei at Chi Bi.

I would say that too if I were Cao Cao and I just suffered a great humiliation.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Re: What If Guo Jia was Alive?Match for Zhuge Liang?

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:45 pm

Lord Sun Ce wrote:What if Guo Jia didn't die of an "illness" :( I think he could have matched the strategic wit of Zhuge Liang, And could of definetly prevented the disaster to Wei at Chi Bi. :twisted:
Cao Cao did say the quote "If Guo Jia was here this will have never happen" But i think Cao Cao was as smart as Guo Jia they have the same thought I mostly think of Sima Yi as another Guo Jia i know this thread is not about games but in video games Guo Jia have 99 Ill and so does Sima yi. Zhuge Liang have 100 and pang tong and Zhou yu have 98. I'm just making a point he not very dumb compare to Zhuge Liang.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby GuanYu » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:22 pm

Guo Jia is not a match for Kongming, he might be a match to Zhuo Yu.
Only Si Ma Yi is a match to Kongming.

Zhugeliang wrote:
Lord Sun Ce wrote:What if Guo Jia didn't die of an "illness" :( I think he could have matched the strategic wit of Zhuge Liang, And could of definetly prevented the disaster to Wei at Chi Bi. :twisted:
Cao Cao did say the quote "If Guo Jia was here this will have never happen" But i think Cao Cao was as smart as Guo Jia they have the same thought I mostly think of Sima Yi as another Guo Jia i know this thread is not about games but in video games Guo Jia have 99 Ill and so does Sima yi. Zhuge Liang have 100 and pang tong and Zhou yu have 98. I'm just making a point he not very dumb compare to Zhuge Liang.

If you go with the games, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei has 99 for fighting, Zhao Yun, Ma Cho has 97. Lu Bu has 100. Gan Ning has 97 too.
That means Guan Yu and Zhange Fei are the best fighters other than Lu Bu.
also Guan Yu's intelligence is 87, which is very good for a general. Zhang Fei has 36. Guan Yu is smart and strong. THen why do people hate him?
Last edited by GuanYu on Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuanYu
Langzhong

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:26 pm

GuanYu wrote:Guo Jia is not a match for Kongming, he might be a match to Zhuo Yu.
The book made Sima Yi the real Rival of Kongming. Kongming only lose to jiang WEi and Sima Yi.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:05 pm

GuanYu wrote:Guo Jia is not a match for Kongming, he might be a match to Zhuo Yu.

...Right. In a historical sense, but Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang were incompetent when it came to military campaigns (taken from the latter part of Zhuge Liang's SGZ bio). And what makes Guo Jia and Zhou Yu similar to each other?

GuanYu wrote:If you go with the games, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei has 99 for fighting, Zhao Yun, Ma Cho has 97. Lu Bu has 100. Gan Ning has 97 too.
also Guan Yu's intelligence is 87, which is very good for a general. Zhang Fei has 36. Guan Yu is smart and strong. THen why do people hate him?

Let me make it easy for you, discuss games in the games forum and Novel and History here. Do not stray from the topic and involve games or you will get a spam warning. (that goes for you too, Zhugeliang)
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Shadowlink » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:59 pm

Freya wrote:

...Right. In a historical sense, but Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang were incompetent when it came to military campaigns (taken from the latter part of Zhuge Liang's SGZ bio). And what makes Guo Jia and Zhou Yu similar to each other?

GuanYu wrote:If you go with the games, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei has 99 for fighting, Zhao Yun, Ma Cho has 97. Lu Bu has 100. Gan Ning has 97 too.

Let me make it easy for you, discuss games in the games forum and Novel and History here. Do not stray from the topic and involve games or you will get a spam warning. (that goes for you too, Zhugeliang)
Did i just say i was trying to make a point? u should warn guan yufor switching the topic. Guo Jia is like Zhou Yu in a kind of Way they were both smart both i don't think he is as smart as kongming. i think Guo jia is a Match for Sima Yi, But some people say that Cao Cao is smarter than Guo Jia.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Devilrai » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:18 pm

Guo Jia was a great strategist, but like eveyone said, he died of an illness to early to show off his ablities, but it was Sima Yi who would replace him sometime later. But if Guo Jia did live he would have been a great match for Zhuge Liang, his early predictions were correct, the Yuan brothers fought like he said. Only if Cao Cao didn't take him to the desert in the North, he may have still been around at the later battles of Wei, and maybe Jin dynasty would have not com about.
Devilrai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:49 am

Come on, when you have Xun Yu, Xun You, Jia Xu, Man Chong, Chen Qun, Cheng Yu, Sima Yi, etc. what is the need for Guo Jia? Guo Jia's presence at Chi Bi would have only changed what Cao Cao put the blame of the loss on.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium