What if Liu Bei WAS on that white horse instead of Pang Tong

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

What if Liu Bei WAS on that white horse instead of Pang Tong

Unread postby Lord Sun Ce » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:37 am

What If Liu Bei WAS on that White horse instead of Pang Tong, I mean Zhuge Liang predicted a great death of a friend, that could have been Liu Bei. Would Zhuge Liang take over Shu, or Guan Yu or Zhang Fei? :twisted:
Sun Tzu: Disorder coming from order is a matter of organization, fear coming from courage is a matter of force, weakness coming from strength is a matter of formation.
Lord Sun Ce
Initiate

Re: What if Liu Bei WAS on that white horse instead of Pang

Unread postby Yuan Seth » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:40 am

Lord Sun Ce wrote:What If Liu Bei WAS on that White horse instead of Pang Tong, I mean Zhuge Liang predicted a great death of a friend, that could have been Liu Bei. Would Zhuge Liang take over Shu, or Guan Yu or Zhang Fei? :twisted:

Being that Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, and Liu Bei had sworn to die on the same day, there would be no Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, or Liu Bei. Therefore, nobody to establish the country of Shu. I think Zhuge Liang would have gone to Wu to serve with his brother and bring Pang Tong with him.
袁 "Since the dawn of time every one will die,
Let the history books note my death with loyalty at heart." --Wen Tianxiang
Yuan Seth
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Outskirts of Beiping - Driving Gongsun Zan to suicide

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:56 am

Sun Yuan Seth wrote:Being that Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, and Liu Bei had sworn to die on the same day, there would be no Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, or Liu Bei. Therefore, nobody to establish the country of Shu. I think Zhuge Liang would have gone to Wu to serve with his brother and bring Pang Tong with him.

I don't think he would have gone to Wu. He didn't seem like the type who would serve someone without a great reason for it, and I don't think Liu Bei's death would be enough to make him want to serve the Suns.

I think Zhuge would simply have retired again, if there was no Shu.

I can't say what Pang Tong would have done.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Rainiez » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:35 am

Sun Yuan Seth wrote:
Lord Sun Ce wrote:What If Liu Bei WAS on that White horse instead of Pang Tong, I mean Zhuge Liang predicted a great death of a friend, that could have been Liu Bei. Would Zhuge Liang take over Shu, or Guan Yu or Zhang Fei? :twisted:

Being that Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, and Liu Bei had sworn to die on the same day, there would be no Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, or Liu Bei. Therefore, nobody to establish the country of Shu. I think Zhuge Liang would have gone to Wu to serve with his brother and bring Pang Tong with him.

Zhuge Liang NEVER intend or will be serve under Wu because he loves Shu. If Liu Bei dead Liu Shan or another Liu Bei's son will take over the throne coz in the movie Liu Bei already gave the throne to Zhuge Liang but as you can see he's not taking the throne
我就像你,没有一秒曾後悔- 一眼萬年
Rainiez
Langzhong

Unread postby Shadowlink » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:47 pm

Sun Yuan Seth wrote:

Remember Sun Quan hates seeing Pang Tong Face lol.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:03 pm

Liu Bei might have survive given that he was trained as a mounted archer and was accustomed to byroads. Furthermore, the fateful slope which was named 'The Fallen Phoenix Slope' would mean nothing to Liu Bei since Liu Bei didn't have a fowl-like Taoist name.
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Lance » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:19 pm

Even if Liu Bei DOES die, you guys are forgetting Liu Feng. He would mostly likely end up Xuande's successor, and Guan Yu and Zhang Fei will likely seek vengeance for their brother...
Landing the first blow is nice, but only the blow that counts is the last!
Lance
Scholar

Unread postby Devilrai » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:43 pm

If Liu Bei was on the white horse, then if would have surely died even before his Kingdom of Shu Han got off the ground, and then there may have been a different outcome in the history

Hate to say this but, it could have been better without Liu Bei, Zhuge Liang would have maybe taken over Shu Han, and continues his dream, and I think he was a much better leader than Liu Bei, or Liu Fang would have taken over it but Zhuge Liang would have been better, but guess what none of those happen...it was Pang Tong who died a bad death, and he was, or would have been a great big player for the Shu Han...

*moment of silence please*
Devilrai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lance » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:46 pm

ZGL would never have taken over Shu from Liu Bei, which was proved by later events. Even if he wanted to, do you really think Guan Yu and Zhang Fei would let him? The vast majority of his officers for that matter? It is conceivable that ZGL and Pang Tong could see more power come there way, but either Liu Feng succeeds Xuande, or the whole "kingdom" collapses in civil war....
Landing the first blow is nice, but only the blow that counts is the last!
Lance
Scholar

Unread postby GuangRong » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:21 am

Pang Tong died Primarily b'cos he insisted on taking the small road, thus walking into an ambush , not b'cos his was riding the white Horse..

The lay of the land allows the enemy to be close enough to single-out the white horse and be in Sniping Range in the first place

Had Liu Bei being riding the same white Horse on the open Road, said ambushers would never get a chance to get close enough to see a a person on a white horse, let a lone shoot him.

==

Anyway if Liu Bei had died, A-do would be installed as the New Ruler with no inccident , if Liu Feng doesn't contest .

if not there will be Civil War with Liu Feng on one side, and Guan Yu ,ZhangFei and Zhuge Liang on A-do 's Side.
Magister mundi sum!!
GuangRong
Langzhong

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium