Guan Yu: Good or Bad

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Guan Yu: Good or Bad

Unread postby Lord_Guan_Yu » Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:32 pm

I was just wonderin why people dislike Guan Yu. I can't understand how you can not like him. is it jealousy? I just want to know. Dont take it offensively.
Oh and I made one mistake with the poll. yes means he was a great man and no means he was an idiot.
Last edited by Lord_Guan_Yu on Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Guan Yu. Brother of Liu Bei. I will prevail.
(from dynasty warriors 3)
Lord_Guan_Yu
Apprentice

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:35 pm

I guess I will say he was great, but he shouldn't have let his power go to his head. That is the sure path to failure. It seems like everytime a character in the novel started letting his power get to his head, he was dead a few chapters later.
Last edited by Kong Wen on Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby waynethegame » Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:57 pm

I think he was a pretty good guy but very overrated. He did absolutely nothing that would warrant the fame he recieved later on. I have respect for Guan Yu, but I still think he was an arrogant general who lost his life due to underestimating an opponent, something a veteran of many years should have known better than to do.
++ Wayne ++

"Better to wrong the world than let it wrong me!"
- Cao Cao
waynethegame
Student

Unread postby Devilrai » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:45 pm

People hate Guan Yu? How? If you ask me, he was a great man of honor, he fought along side Liu Bei in countless battle, but his untimely death was sad, but he fought hard to fulfill his oath, but wasn't able to, because of Wei, and Wu...but overall he is a great man.
Devilrai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Guan Yu: Good or Bad

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:00 am

Lord_Guan_Yu wrote:I was just wonderin why people dislike Guan Yu. I can't understand how you can not like him. is it jealousy? I just want to know. Dont take it offensively.
Oh and I made one mistake with the poll. yes means he was a great man and no means he was an idiot.

In SGZ(History) many of the supposed honorable and impressive things he did weren't mentioned.

I don't like Guan Yu because in history he was a terrible general, and an arrogant and dishonorable person.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby GuanYu » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:17 am

I'm GuanYu, Brother of Zhang Fei and Lui Bei. HEHEHE

Everyone is talking about me ^&^

He is the best general in my views, he helped Lui Bei through many difficulties. Well, many of you say that he hasn't accomplish anything. If he was one Cao Cao's general, then he will do much better. I know most of you think Cao Cao is the best leader in RTK.
GuanYu
Langzhong

Unread postby Lord_Guan_Yu » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:13 pm

TheGreatNads wrote:
Lord_Guan_Yu wrote:I was just wonderin why people dislike Guan Yu. I can't understand how you can not like him. is it jealousy? I just want to know. Dont take it offensively.

In SGZ(History) many of the supposed honorable and impressive things he did weren't mentioned.

I don't like Guan Yu because in history he was a terrible general, and an arrogant and dishonorable person.

I think you are just jealous.
I am Guan Yu. Brother of Liu Bei. I will prevail.
(from dynasty warriors 3)
Lord_Guan_Yu
Apprentice

Unread postby Shadowlink » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:40 pm

Lord_Guan_Yu wrote:
TheGreatNads wrote:

I think you are just jealous.
i kind of Agree with lorsd Guan yu i mean alot of people respect him in life and have him as a confucuis god.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Yorak » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm

Why would someone be jealous of someone 1800 years dead and quite likely on the other side of the world?

And besides, there's little to be jealous of. I have yet to read any historic text where it shows Guan Yu doing ANYTHING that merits giving him the title of God of War.

Let's look at his record.

Pros:
- Killed Yan Liang in a surprise attack
- Ignored pain during surgery
- Mopped up an army that was ruined by a flood.

Wow, no wonder he's the God of War, with all of those achievements! How kickass he is!

Now, let's look at his failures:
- Lost Xiapi to Cao Cao
- Planned to invade Wu, but was frightened off by just hearing that Gan Ning was there
- Failed to defeat Cao Ren, despite the fact that Cao Ren had only 1000 men compared to Guan Yu's large army...
- And then got whupped by Xu Huang
- Left his rear flank exposed (while leaving disgruntled subordinates in charge, no less) and lost the provence he was supposed to be protecting
- And was arrogant as all hell, to boot.

The ONLY thing Guan Yu has going for him is his profound sense of loyalty. That I will grant him. Beyond that, he was arrogant and sub-par compared to many, many other generals. THAT'S why we dislike him.
I'm not even here
Yorak
Master

Unread postby Sam » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:44 pm

Lord_Guan_Yu wrote:I think you are just jealous.

Don't be so ignorant and stubborn towards our members. In my opinion, Guan Yu was in no way a great man, and I would rather cease to exist than be like that of him. "Jealousy" is something I don't think anyone could feel to such an arrogant individual; his historical accomplishments in no way proved him to be a great general, and his arrogant attitude results in my having absolutely no respect towards him. You are obviously referring to the SGYY perspective of Guan Yu, or perhaps the perspective of that of RTK games, but judging Guan Yu historically, the vast majority conclude that he wasn’t a great man.
Otherwise known as Wang Ping (Zijun)
Sam
Sweeper of Invaders

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium