Cao Cao, novel and history

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Lady Zhuge » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:21 pm

Lady Wu wrote:
Lady Zhuge wrote:Okay, my mistake. Is that what happened historically, though?

The story isn't recorded in the main SGZ, but is in the Wei Shi Chunqiu "Annuals of the Wei family". I don't know how trustworthy that source is, but Pei Songzhi didn't dispute it like how he disputed the Empress Fu story.

I see, thanks. Do you know how Xun Yu was recorded to have died in his SGZ bio, then?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

¡°ÈËÉú²»¿ÉÄÜÄÇôƽµ££¬ ÄÇôÏ뵱Ȼ£» ²»¿ÉÓÀÔ¶ÔÚÏÊ»¨¶È¹ý¡£ ÕýÈçÄǾäÀÏ»°£º ¡®ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓ¶«£¬ ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓÎ÷¡£¡¯¡±

- ÌƹúÇ¿
Lady Zhuge
Kongming's One and Only

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:29 pm

Lady Zhuge wrote:I see, thanks. Do you know how Xun Yu was recorded to have died in his SGZ bio, then?

Xun Yu disagreed with Cao Cao's becoming Duke, and Cao Cao couldn't get over it. So when he went to fight Sun Quan, he had Xun Yu go with him (so that he could keep an eye on him?). When Cao Cao reached Ruxu, Xun Yu was sick, so he stayed behind in Shouchun, and died of grief at the age of 50.

So I guess Cao Cao was partly responsible for Xun Yu's death...
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Lady Zhuge » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:12 pm

Lady Wu wrote:
Lady Zhuge wrote:I see, thanks. Do you know how Xun Yu was recorded to have died in his SGZ bio, then?

Xun Yu disagreed with Cao Cao's becoming Duke, and Cao Cao couldn't get over it. So when he went to fight Sun Quan, he had Xun Yu go with him (so that he could keep an eye on him?). When Cao Cao reached Ruxu, Xun Yu was sick, so he stayed behind in Shouchun, and died of grief at the age of 50.

So I guess Cao Cao was partly responsible for Xun Yu's death...

Sorry for so many questions, but I find this very interesting. If Xun Yu hadn't disagreed with Cao Cao's becoming Duke(may I also ask what his reasoning for this was?), would it have been natural for Cao Cao to have taken Xun Yu along to fight Sun Quan anyways, or was this out of the norm? Thanks for your answer/thoughts.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

¡°ÈËÉú²»¿ÉÄÜÄÇôƽµ££¬ ÄÇôÏ뵱Ȼ£» ²»¿ÉÓÀÔ¶ÔÚÏÊ»¨¶È¹ý¡£ ÕýÈçÄǾäÀÏ»°£º ¡®ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓ¶«£¬ ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓÎ÷¡£¡¯¡±

- ÌƹúÇ¿
Lady Zhuge
Kongming's One and Only

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium