Ma Chao!

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Just not the right time.

Unread postby Peter » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:39 am

Ma Cho, well, more you think of him, more you pity him. Apperantly, every time he has decided to do something his family always ending up paying for it :lol: . Started the famous rebellion the contribute to his father's death ( some say his rebellion is an response to Cao Cao's force gathing in near region, but that's another story). then when he move away from Han Zhong (under Zhang Lu), his kid brother and his wife pay for it. Now even under the leadership of Liu Bei, he can't do much b/c the suspicision and danger for giving a newcomer in charge of full power (picture you just heired Bill Gates in your company!).

personaly, I do believe he is capable of writing a page or two in the book that we call history.
Peter
Academic

Unread postby GLUEMAN » Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:13 pm

he lived to avenge his father and brother :lol: :lol: :lol:
GLUEMAN
Scholar

Unread postby Antiochus » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:31 am

well he never did something great after joining Shu.
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LorD Ma Titans » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:19 am

If i remember correctly Ma Chao was the one who petitioned Liu Bei to become emperor. Stemming Ma Chao's heritage and position i think that he had the authority (correct me if i am wrong) to declare Liu Bei as Emperor. That is one of his great acheivements of Ma Chao i think.
When a person is near death, his words are wise.
LorD Ma Titans
Apprentice

Unread postby Chao Tzu-Lung » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:32 am

I always figured him as sort of a barbarian. You know like Loin cloth and canablistic. I mean the way he killed all those people. I forget where that is. I believ someone killed his family and he decimated an entire city. I would never doubt his bravery, i mean he fought so many people, and Cao Cao himself even compares him to Lu Bu. In my humble opinion Ma Chao was an able general and an able leader but i don't know how intelligent he was.
Chao Tzu-Lung
Tyro

Ma Chao

Unread postby Iain » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:45 am

I feel Ma Chao was an able warrior who needed someone to be connected to after the terrible deaths of his family and friends he was left quite in need of new friends.
The forces he fought for did not trust him totally and his brashness led to more trouble where cooler heads would prevale, but his valour attracted Lui Bei who wanted to bring him to his side and with a little help from Zhuge Liang he suceeded in winning over the brave warrior.
But following this there is little said about him and when we hear of his death it is almost missed in passing in fact Ma Dai appears more in the Nanman and Wu Zhang Campians Ma Chao is forgotten till his death.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Sima Hui » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:21 pm

Since when was Ma Chao responsible for Ma Teng's death? If I remember correctly Ma Teng went to the capital and his plot to assassinate Cao Cao was leaked. Ma Chao's younger brothers, Ma Tie and Ma Xiu along with Ma Teng, were executed. Then Ma Chao rebelled. He took with him, Ma Dai (who escaped from the capital), Pang De, Han Sui, Cheng Yi, Cheng Yin, Ma Wan, Liang Xian, Hou Xuan, Zhang Heng, Yang Qiu and Li Kan, as well as 200 000 troops. They took Changan and almost destroyed Cao at Tong Gate. Han Sui rebelled and Ma Chao had to flee.

When he joined Shu Ma Chao did good work in repelling barbarian armies in the north. We just don't here much about him because he was far away.

Does anyone else share my views?
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Peter » Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:05 am

if I do recall correctly...
in SGYY, Cao Cao killed Ma Teng thus Ma Cho revenge for his father
in SGZ , Ma Cho's supicious movement result be viewed by Cao Cao as
determination to rebell, thus Ma Teng end up getting killed...

yup, dude, I share your view, but partially... :D
Peter
Academic

Unread postby jiang cheng » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:18 am

Ma Chao is not exactly useless. A useless general would not caused Cao Cao to be panic and named him as another Lu Bu.

If i remember correctly his role in Shu was mostly to establish a good relationship with the Qiang tribes so that they would not attack on Shu???
jiang cheng
Scholar

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:07 am

I'm not a fan, he took control of area's quickly when he did strike and had some success against Wei so he was alright but not much more then that. I prefer Yan Xing :P
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium