Zhen Ji's Real Name... (Discussion thread for Lok Sun)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhen Ji's Real Name... (Discussion thread for Lok Sun)

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:47 am

I was watching that Zhen Ji show "Lok Sun" on TV and I noticed, they don't call her Zhen Ji but something else: 甄宓......dunno how to say that in Pinyin......

Is that like her real name?
Last edited by Jiang Zhi on Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
User avatar
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave
 
Posts: 3738
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:07 am
Location: Sun Shang Xiang's bedroom

Re: Zhen Ji's Real Name...

Unread postby jiuwan » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:00 am

Scarlet Laconius wrote:I was watching that Zhen Ji show "Lok Sun" on TV and I noticed, they don't call her Zhen Ji but something else: 甄宓......dunno how to say that in Pinyin......

Is that like her real name?


Her "real name" is Zhen Ji. But as you noticed in the movie they call her "foak yee" (if your cantonese, I think it's fu er in mandarin, not sure).

It could have been her style name.

Or

That's not a name. The last character is something you would use to address someone younger than you or someone close. It's sorta like a style name but only it's not. Am I making any sense? It's sorta an added character when that person has one character in their name.

Can you post up the exact name they used? Look at the subtitle.
jiuwan
Marquis of Shun Ping
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:46 am

Unread postby Zhanghe_of_Wei » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:00 am

Zhen(1) Fu(2); affectionately called Fu-er.

Real name? I dunno :?
"Knowledge is not as important as imagination. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" - Albert Einstein
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that counts. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln
User avatar
Zhanghe_of_Wei
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:43 am
Location: City of Delusion

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:39 pm

I can't find Lady Zhen's name recorded in SGZ (Wei book 5). In fact, in an annotation taken from Wei Lue, all the names of Zhen Ji's brothers and sisters were listed, but not her. :rangry: Zhen Mi (宓) is a name that appeared in the novel "Luo Shen", written by the brothers Hu Xiaoming and Hu Xiaohui, and which was adapted into the TV show that people are talking about.

They picked the character "Mi" 宓 because in old legends, there was a lady called Concubine Mi who drowned in the Luo River, and became the goddess of Luo River = "Luo Shen". Since the novelists wanted to make Lady Zhen to be the Goddess of Luo, they took Mi to be her name.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
User avatar
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu
 
Posts: 12807
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:35 am
Location: Wu-ere else?

Unread postby Kingdom of Cheng » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:33 pm

Foak Yee? Ha ha...thats a funny name
User avatar
Kingdom of Cheng
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:23 am
Location: Hart, MI

Unread postby jiuwan » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:41 am

Lady Wu wrote:They picked the character "Mi" 宓 because in old legends, there was a lady called Concubine Mi who drowned in the Luo River, and became the goddess of Luo River = "Luo Shen". Since the novelists wanted to make Lady Zhen to be the Goddess of Luo, they took Mi to be her name.


Well according to that legend. After concubne Mi drowned in the river and became "Luo Shen". Many poems were written about her.

Many, many years later...

It was said that Cao Pi and Cao Zhi had bothed loved Zhen Ji. But in the end, she became the wife to Cao Pi. I've heard that Cao Zhi had expressed his feelings for Zhen Ji in some of his poems. The biggest one was the one where he wrote by the Luo river. The poem was initially titled "Zhen Ji", and it was written about Cao Pi's wife by Cao Zhi. Cao Pi didn't like it so he later changed the poem's title to 洛神賦 (Luo Shen Fu).

This is what Cao Zhi wrote (translated):
<i>
"Gazing upon her from a distance;
Bright as the sun
Over rosy morning clouds.
Step nearer, look more closely,
She shimmers like a lotus
Above the waves.
Neither thick-set nor frail,
Neither tall nor short
Her shoulders seem scripted,
Her waist narrow
As if bound.
The graceful curve of her long neck
Reveals the white flesh of her throat.
There is no need for perfume here,
No need for leaden powder." </i>

That crafty Cao Pi, changes the title :lol: I think that was how Zhen Ji got connected to Luo Shen.

P.S.
Scarlet.. when you're watching "Lok Sun" (Where the legends begin), don't take it as a historical source. There are lots of errors in it, that they changed to fit the story line.
jiuwan
Marquis of Shun Ping
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:46 am

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:59 am

jiuwan wrote:That crafty Cao Pi, changes the title :lol: I think that was how Zhen Ji got connected to Luo Shen.

Hehehe at least that's how the story goes... though there's quite a bit of scholarship done between the Ming and Qing dynasties arguing that "The Ode to the Goddess Luo" (Luo Shen Fu) was not written for Lady Zhen, nor were there proofs of Cao Zhi's involvement with Lady Zhen anywhere.

In fact, I'm not aware of any outstanding pure romantic poetry from Cao Zhi, while Cao Pi had a couple of poems about thinking of a loved one, or courting a beautiful lady, or waiting for a lover that touched me. However, I liked the "Lok Sun" (hehehe switching to Cantonese now) story (at least the novel version -- I still haven't seen the TV show yet).
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
User avatar
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu
 
Posts: 12807
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:35 am
Location: Wu-ere else?

Unread postby jiuwan » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:47 am

Lady Wu wrote:Hehehe at least that's how the story goes... though there's quite a bit of scholarship done between the Ming and Qing dynasties arguing that "The Ode to the Goddess Luo" (Luo Shen Fu) was not written for Lady Zhen, nor were there proofs of Cao Zhi's involvement with Lady Zhen anywhere.


Yes. That is how the story goes, after all the topic of this thread isn't based on history. So I can bring in all the legends and tales :lol:

Lady Wu wrote:However, I liked the "Lok Sun" (hehehe switching to Cantonese now) story (at least the novel version -- I still haven't seen the TV show yet).


There are two versions to "Lok Sun" for the movies. The first one was done in the late 70's or early 80's by Adam Cheng (Cheung Siu Chow) and others. The version Scarlet is talking about is starring Ada Choi (Choi Siu Fun) and Steven Ma (Ma Jun Wei). I'm not sure how accurate they are to the actual novel. As I haven't gotten to read the novel yet.
jiuwan
Marquis of Shun Ping
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:46 am

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:41 pm

jiuwan wrote:There are two versions to "Lok Sun" for the movies. The first one was done in the late 70's or early 80's by Adam Cheng (Cheung Siu Chow) and others. The version Scarlet is talking about is starring Ada Choi (Choi Siu Fun) and Steven Ma (Ma Jun Wei). I'm not sure how accurate they are to the actual novel. As I haven't gotten to read the novel yet.

Yeah, I haven't got a chance to watching the recent version yet. Perhaps when I get to Vancouver next month I could go rent it (is it as good as people say?). The novel, though, is fantastic -- if you could find it in e-town you should read it!
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
User avatar
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu
 
Posts: 12807
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:35 am
Location: Wu-ere else?

Unread postby jiuwan » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:43 am

Lady Wu wrote:Yeah, I haven't got a chance to watching the recent version yet. Perhaps when I get to Vancouver next month I could go rent it (is it as good as people say?). The novel, though, is fantastic -- if you could find it in e-town you should read it!


Well it all depends on which actors you like watching. I don't want to go into too much details of the new version (can't spoil the storyline he he he)

But Steven Ma did a very good job for his character in the movie. One of the best scenes is where he did the "chut bo sing se" (Poem composed of seven steps) for Cao Pi to save his life. You know the poem :wink: , it goes like this..
煮 豆 燃 豆 基, (Boiling beans in a beanstalk fire)
豆 在 釜 中 泣. (From the pot out came a plaintive cry)
本 是 同 根 生, (Since we came from the same root)
相 煎 何 太 急! ( Oh why so eager to kill me!)

Ada Choi was quite boring I found in this movie. I have seen her do better.

The actor that did Cao Pi, played his character quite well. I gained a lot of respect for that actorr when before I just thought of him as a "small potatoe" actor :lol:

And the actor for Yang Xiu did a great job too. New actor I think.

Overall I liked the movie. I can't say anymore without spoiling the storyline, so you got to watch it for yourself.

And none of the e-town book stores has the novel version :wahh:
jiuwan
Marquis of Shun Ping
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:46 am

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved