The vs. Thread

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:43 am

I must say Jia Xu. His accomplishments oughtweighed those of Yang Xiu.
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

Unread postby Tso Lan » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:23 pm

Jia Xu
All hail Zhang He, Gan Ning, and Ma Chao
Tso Lan
Changshi

Unread postby timon » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:26 pm

how about Xun Yu and Xun You?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day.
timon
Changshi

Unread postby Tso Lan » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:30 pm

Xun You of course
Tso Lan
Changshi

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:43 pm

perze wrote:how about Xun Yu and Xun You?

Xun Yu was probably Cao Cao's overall best officer. Xun You is great, but none of Cao Cao's advisors beat Xun Yu in my opinion.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mengdez New Book » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:38 am

IMO, the function between Xun Yu and Xun You in Cao Cao camp is quite different. Xun Yu is those kind of advisor who help Cao Cao in internal matter such like military supplies, guarding the capital or even help to 'smooth' the relationship between all the officers. He is like Xiao He who help Liu Bang in building up the whole Han. For Xun You, he is more like the advisor who give suggestion and advise during war. I think most of the time he followed Cao Cao in his expedition to unite the whole China. Well, it is said that he gave Cao Cao 12 great suggestions during the war and all these suggestions known by Zhong Yao (Zhong Hui's father). Zhong Yao wanted to published it but before he wrote out anything, he passed away.

With this, it is quite difficult to say which one is better. :wink:
Mengdez New Book
No Title

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:56 pm

Mengdez New Book wrote:IMO, the function between Xun Yu and Xun You in Cao Cao camp is quite different. Xun Yu is those kind of advisor who help Cao Cao in internal matter such like military supplies, guarding the capital or even help to 'smooth' the relationship between all the officers. He is like Xiao He who help Liu Bang in building up the whole Han. For Xun You, he is more like the advisor who give suggestion and advise during war. I think most of the time he followed Cao Cao in his expedition to unite the whole China. Well, it is said that he gave Cao Cao 12 great suggestions during the war and all these suggestions known by Zhong Yao (Zhong Hui's father). Zhong Yao wanted to published it but before he wrote out anything, he passed away.

With this, it is quite difficult to say which one is better. :wink:

The reason I picked Xun Yu, is that he did give Cao Cao advice in military matters too. And he was involved in defending Mengde's capital. Xun You was just a good military advisor, but in my opinion Xun Yu is good at the things you mentioned and also in military matters.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tso Lan » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:57 pm

What about Guo Jia vs. Sima Yi?

I say Guo Jia because he did give good advice.
Tso Lan
Changshi

Unread postby timon » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:50 pm

Tso Lan wrote:What about Guo Jia vs. Sima Yi?

I say Guo Jia because he did give good advice.

I think this is a no contest. Sima Yi would win hands down. Aside from giving good advice, he was able to establish the foundations of the Jin dynasty. well, even though it was at the expense of the Cao's.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day.
timon
Changshi

Unread postby Mr. Counsellor » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:01 pm

I'd say Sima Yi, but I have a bias with anyone who betrays their benefactors...so it'll be Guo Jia this time....wasn't it Cao Cao who said after Chi Bi: "If Guo Jia had been with us...this may not have happened..." That's saying a lot, IMO... :wink:
i sometimes put a carton of milk in the dryer so that there's an equal distribution of the force shaking it. Tastes like lint though...
Mr. Counsellor
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium