The vs. Thread

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: The vs. Thread

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:38 pm

I wouldn't call either one of the great minds of the era. Not as an insult, both highly intelligent men but just think there are others who were even greater.

I would probably go for Zhou Yu as the better strategist despite not knowing how his invasion of Yi would end up but perhaps Sima Yi (no slouch as he could be a bold strategist bar facing Zhuge Liang) the better all round mind given his political and propaganda abilities. Both perhaps strengths also lay in parts of their personality, Zhou Yu made a good commander becuase of his good nature, Sima Yi was successful becuase he had a ruthlessness that Cao Shuang (who did beat him politically for some time) lacked
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: The vs. Thread

Unread postby Elitemsh » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:52 pm

I don't think Zhou Yu was an especially good strategist but an excellent military leader. He did have the wisdom to recognise good strategy but they were pretty much all Lu Meng. I'd still pick Zhou Yu over Sima Yi any day. It was ridiculous what Sima Yi did with Zhang He unless he wanted him to die.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium