Was Xu Huang talanted?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re:

Unread postby sonnybob » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:22 am

boogiepopmeup wrote:xu huang is also counted among wei's 5 elite generals

I WAS JUST GONNA SAY THT ! ^^ :mrgreen:
sonnybob
Tyro

Re: Was Xu Huang talanted?

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:40 am

talented? yes.....but Zhang Liao is far far talented than him.....
Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain-FURINKAZAN-
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:36 am

PhoenixRising wrote:talented? yes.....but Zhang Liao is far far talented than him.....

I'm not quite sure on how you consider he was talented... care to elaborate?

Since to me his major accomplishment is in reinforcing Cao Ren against Guan Yu... other than that I can't seem to top it off my head... :?
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:11 am

Lonely_dragon wrote:Since to me his major accomplishment is in reinforcing Cao Ren against Guan Yu... other than that I can't seem to top it off my head... :?

hmm how about rescueing Cao Hong when he lose against Ma Chao? 8-)

Yep i say he's got a talent.....but still, the best general in Wei is Zhang Liao.
Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain-FURINKAZAN-
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:02 pm

Lonely_dragon wrote:

Well he has a good career, does well for Yang Feng, plays a minor but important part against Lu Bu, tooks Baima and defeats Wen Chou, got Han Fan to surrender, had victories against Yuan sons and in Jing, got Cao Cao across to defeat Ma Chao, he played his part against the Qiang and against Zhang Lu, annihilated the army of the competent Chen Shi, humiliated Guan Yu with a move so brave, Cao Cao was amazed.

He had an enviable record of success, was noted for his bravery, I am not sure why you doubt he was talented?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Antiochus » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:03 pm

Same here. The man rarely made big mistakes and has an interesting list of successes. He was praised by Cao Cao himself and was also said to be well respected by his foes. He is probably overestimated by the book but that doesnt make him bad...
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:06 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
Lonely_dragon wrote:

Well he has a good career, does well for Yang Feng, plays a minor but important part against Lu Bu, tooks Baima and defeats Wen Chou, got Han Fan to surrender, had victories against Yuan sons and in Jing, got Cao Cao across to defeat Ma Chao, he played his part against the Qiang and against Zhang Lu, annihilated the army of the competent Chen Shi, humiliated Guan Yu with a move so brave, Cao Cao was amazed.

He had an enviable record of success, was noted for his bravery, I am not sure why you doubt he was talented?

I was only saying that I'm not sure... because I can't think of major success for this man... since I only known his part from the novel which I can say most of them made him more of a support general except for the batle of Chang An against Ma Chao and Jing against Guan Yu... but now that you had enlightened me I know he is a good general but still not as good as Zhang Liao in my point of view... Thanks... :D

Antiochus wrote:Same here. The man rarely made big mistakes and has an interesting list of successes. He was praised by Cao Cao himself and was also said to be well respected by his foes. He is probably overestimated by the book but that doesnt make him bad...

How about his lost at Hanzhong against Zhao Yun and Huang Zhong where he tried to immitate Han Xin in putting his troops in a deadly place but failed due to the insight of Zhao Yun who waited untill his troops are weary and smite him after that? or was that only in the novel... help me here... :?
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:42 am

Only novel, as was Wang Ping defecting because of him. He did annihilate Chen Shi's army though
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby the glorious sun jian » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:55 am

PhoenixRising wrote:talented? yes.....but Zhang Liao is far far talented than him.....

Not so far :)
Xu Huang was great in excuting his own orders .He had many victories .He has a very long list of defeated officers .
OK I may agree Zhang Liao was better but not that far .
لا اله الا الله محمد عبده ورسوله
the glorious sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Guan Yan » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:37 am

Zhang Liao was a feirce and brave fighter and commander he had great feats but Xu Huang accoplished more as a general, with stratagy and tactics better then Sun Tzu (Cao Cao's comment on him). Xu Huang never lost a battle I believe.
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium