Was Xu Huang talanted?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Lu Wei » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:14 am

Xu Huang was certainly a very good general. He served the emperor in his escape from Li Jue and Guo Si, then realizing how inadequate Yang Feng was as a master he joined Cao Cao. He fought in the campaigns against Yuan Shao and Ma Chao. I believe he was there in Hanzhong as well. One of his most famous battles is when he rescused the besieged Cao Ren at Fan Castle and defeated Guan Yu.
Lu Wei
Langzhong

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:40 am

He was also a great fighter. He was a very skilled marksman and horseback rider. He was popular among Caos generals, and even a good friend of Cao Cao. He was also a good friend of Guan Yu, but he didnt let his feelings of friendship get in the way of his duties. He was also a very skilled strategist, Cao Cao called him a match for Sun Tzu.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby White Horse General » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:19 am

The Handsome Zhou wrote:Yeah but what was the most major thing he ever did?

My personal opinion was his relieving the Seige at Fan Castle. When he took all of Guan Yu's bases and Cao Cao commended for doing what they thought of as the impossible.
Sings we a dance of wolves;
Who smell fear and slay a coward.
Sings we a dance of man;
Who smells gold and slays his brother.
White Horse General
Master

Unread postby X-Zhou Yu » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:14 pm

[quote="unregistered"]Xu Huang was certainly not a useless Wei general. He was involved in numerous campaigns and emerged victorous in quite a number of them.

List of some guys defeated by Xu Huang:

iii)Yen Liang
vi)Yuan Tan

I was under the impresion that Yen liang Was slayed by Guan Yu, and also that Yuan Tan was killed by Cao Hong
"He who wins people, prospers; he who loses them, fails. Your present plan should be to seek humans of high aims and farseeing views, and you can establish yourself firmly." Zhou Yu
X-Zhou Yu
Initiate

Unread postby Sun Zhongmou » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:17 am

Xu Huang is my favourite Wei general, both in the novel, history and Dynasty Warriors. I guess I always like those strategist-cum-warrior types. (My favourite Wu general is a tie between Zhou Yu and Lu Meng while Wei Yan is my favourite Shu general.)

His bio is so incredibly boring because of the successes that he has had throughout his career! Yu Jin's is more interesting because of his major screw-up at Fan castle.

I especially liked the way Xu Huang rallied his troops and charged right into Guan Yu's army. Man, that takes courage.
Sun Zhongmou
Initiate

Unread postby Cao Oda » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:24 am

Xu Huang was a very loyal officer I mean he was good friends with Guan Yu nerver the less still defeated Guan Yu which led to his death how he felt about it I really dont know(I would imagin bad feeling when he found out guan yu was exicuted) Pardon my spelling please typing fast and all and too lazy to fix
Mother's Earth, Father's Heaven..... Oh yeah and nine dragons

The Website is not my website OK
Cao Oda
Initiate

Unread postby Iain » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:31 am

I always liked Xu Huang from when I first read about him in the Romance books, I especially liked the scene when Man Chong attempted to talk him over to Cao Cao's side.
(From Romance of the Three Kingdoms Chapter 14)
Then said Man Chong, "There are very few as bold as you on earth. Why then do you serve such as your present chiefs, Yang Feng and Han Xian? My master is the most prominent man in the world---a man who delights in wise people and appreciates soldiers as everyone knows. Your valor today won his entire admiration, and so he took care that the attack was not vigorous enough to sacrifice you. Now he has sent me to invite you to join him. Will you not leave darkness for light and help him in his magnificent task?"
Xu Huang sat a long time pondering over the offer.
Then he said, with a sigh, "I know my masters are doomed to failure, but I have followed their fortunes a long time and do not like to leave them."
"But you know the prudent bird selects its tree, and the wise servant chooses his master. When one meets a worthy master and lets him go, one is very reckless."
"I am willing to do what you say," said Xu Huang, rising.
"Why not put these two to death as an introductory gift?" said Man Chong.

"It is very wrong for a servant to slay his master. I will not do that."

"True. You are really a good man."
Then Xu Huang, taking only a few horsemen of his own men with him, left that night and deserted to Cao Cao.
This seemed to me that Xu Huang was a very loyal man, and wasnt willing to slay his lord for a sack of gold and a horse, like some other person who was talked over by a similar conversation.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Guan Yan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:05 am

xu huang did not really fight guan yu in a one on one and i am pretty sure he would lose in a fight with guan when he is not old or injured by an arrow in novel and in history
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby the glorious sun jian » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:41 am

guan yan wrote:xu huang did not really fight guan yu in a one on one and i am pretty sure he would lose in a fight with guan when he is not old or injured by an arrow in novel and in history

Guan Yu was defeated when he was younger by other generals whom Xu Huang is better than both .

Guan Yu was defeated by Wen Pin and Yue Jin :roll:
لا اله الا الله محمد عبده ورسوله
the glorious sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shi Tong » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:50 pm

There's no way anyone could tell if Xu Huang was stronger than Guan Yu because we cant possibly set them up in a fight.

Xu Huang was a great general though telling how "strong" he is personally (ie- how big his muscles are) is going to be a tough call!! :lol:
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium