Who do you like better: Xiahou Dun or Xiahou Yuan?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Who do you like better: Xiahou Dun or Xiahou Yuan?

Unread postby grand master of san guo » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:04 am

i think dun didnt got higher rank level than yuan. but yuan got killed to earliy :?
" cao cao has more than million army, but there is nothing to fear about." we must ally. so that we can bring peace to the world!!
grand master of san guo
Student

Unread postby SoSZ Patch 0506C » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:49 am

I like Dun better. Mainly cuse the guy ate his own eye.
SoSZ Patch 0506C
Apprentice

Unread postby Russ » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:12 pm

I was never fond of Yuan. I like Dun better.
Russ
Legendary

Unread postby Chao Tzu Lung1 » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:47 pm

Xiahou DUn sacrifice for his eye & devotion & loyalty to Cao Cao is surpassed by none in the Wei Empire, Dun is the Man,Yuan was a good general, but not one of my favorites
Zhao Yun, the best general for any ruler, but everyone has to die just as they live, even the heroes.....
Chao Tzu Lung1
Student

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:38 pm

Xiahou Dun was an awful general. Xiahou Yuan sucked too, but he at least won a battle.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shao » Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:12 pm

dun is too popular than yuan.
Shao
Academic

Unread postby Humble Fisherman » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:48 pm

I think the point in the book where I lost a great deal of respect for Xiahou Yuan was when Ma Chao was attacking Governor Wei Kang in Jicheng.

Wei Kang sent missives to Xiahou Yuan in Changan for aid, but Xiahou Yuan would not act without the advice of his lord.

Some might call this loyalty, but I think it shows Xiahou Yuan wasn't a self starter. One could only assume that had Ma Chao been stopped sooner, it would have been a tremendous boon to Cao Cao's cause, and it's highly doubtful that Cao Cao would have told Yuan not to send troops in any event (in fact, he eventually did arrive when Ma Chao had moved on to fight Yang Fu with his borrowed forces).

So, though he may have been a formidable warrior, I'm slightly turned off of Yuan for the simple reason that I believe he did not act when it was necessary, and could not make his own decisions.
"He who thinks he has no faults has one"
Humble Fisherman
Langzhong

Unread postby Cao Ren » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:13 pm

I like Dun better, so what if he didnt win any battles, he showed excellant leadership and great bravery, Yuan showed little and was indecisive, his loss at Hanzhong just tops him off
Cao Ren
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kingdom of Cheng » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:31 am

I like Xiahou Dun way better
Kingdom of Cheng
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby waynethegame » Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:19 pm

Xiahou Dun, definatly. Xiahou Yuan is cool, but... he has issues. Didn't it say somewhere that he really, really enjoyed killing people? Even in Ancient China, that's a little much I think, since I'd imagine most of the killing was done (unless you happen to be Dong Zhuo or any of his gang e.g. Li Jue, Guo Si, etc) because you had no choice, not because you enjoyed doing it. Yuan sounds like a sadist to me.

Plus, in the TV series he looked like an idiot at Mt. Ding Jun. Come to think of it, in the series he was very ratty-looking and weak. Didn't look threatening at all.
++ Wayne ++

"Better to wrong the world than let it wrong me!"
- Cao Cao
waynethegame
Student

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium