Yuan Shao's officers

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Yuan Shao's officers

Unread postby Cao Ren » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:38 am

I think that Yuan Shao had many men of great talent and power. Of course he barely used these men. Do you guys feel if Yuan Shao had properly used his officers he would have won against Cao Cao? Would men such as Tian Chou really make a difference? I think that some would and some wouldn't. Some guys such as Shen Pei and Ju Shuo Would definately help but would they be an even match to Cao Cao's forces? I think it would be more even and because of Cao Cao's situation with food and less forces he could have lost. I dont think his warriors, such as Yan Liang would still wind up dead.( I feel they may have been overrated to show the power of Guan Yu). What are your thoughts?
Cao Ren
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Yuan Shao's officers

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:54 am

Cao Ren wrote:I think that Yuan Shao had many men of great talent and power. Of course he barely used these men. Do you guys feel if Yuan Shao had properly used his officers he would have won against Cao Cao? Would men such as Tian Chou really make a difference? I think that some would and some wouldn't. Some guys such as Shen Pei and Ju Shuo Would definately help but would they be an even match to Cao Cao's forces? I think it would be more even and because of Cao Cao's situation with food and less forces he could have lost. I dont think his warriors, such as Yan Liang would still wind up dead.( I feel they may have been overrated to show the power of Guan Yu). What are your thoughts?

Cao Cao had talented generals like Cao Ren, Cao Hong, Xu Huang, and of course himself. None of Yuan Shao's officers were capable enough to beat Cao Cao's forces. There was not a single moment to me where Yuan Shao seemed to have the upperhand. I highly doubt Yuan Shao could beat Cao Cao.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Ren » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:59 am

hmm i still dont know with all of cao cao's disadvantages he may have been worn down, and one of Yuan Shao's officers requested not to fight and sort of lay back, that may have caused Cao Cao to lose or a few other things
Cao Ren
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kingdom of Cheng » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:59 am

Yuan Shao was a good leader he had a lot of troops and I really like his troops color of armour
Last edited by Kingdom of Cheng on Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingdom of Cheng
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Ren » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:00 am

i'm sorry were do you get guan yu out of this? i asked about his officers and if he had listened to them and their advice
Cao Ren
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kingdom of Cheng » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:03 am

never mind I changed my post
Kingdom of Cheng
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:05 am

Cao Hong wrote:Yuan Shao was a good leader he had a lot of troops and I really like his troops color of armour

Good leader? I feel he was an awful leader, because he didn't know how to use his officers, ignored valuable advice on plenty of occasions, was a hotheaded moron, and of course the problem with his heir. And I'm just curious, but are you basing your info on Dynasty Warriors?(Because after reading some of your posts it seems like it.)
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:23 am

From the novel, Benchu seemed competent in the Yellow Turban and Dong Zhuo days, while when he fought Cao Cao, he almost seemed like a different person. Perhaps he grew senile?
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

re

Unread postby grand master of san guo » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:52 am

i think yuao shao has greater army and men than cao cao do in that period of time. he can wipe cao cao in guan du. but he dont use his starigest! and he doubt them alot. he sent his most powerful stagiest to jail. in guan du! and his people are all jealous to each other! so i guess if he know how to use them he probley can rule north and elimate cao cao :)
grand master of san guo
Student

Unread postby Ender » Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:39 am

Well, let me see.... Yuan Shao had many capable officers, including Zhang He, but he failed to use them properly. He had a relativly huge army and firm grasp on Northern China. Furthermore, he had a large amount of supplies. Yet, he failed to make use of his advantages. So, yes, if he did take advantage of all the things he had "going for him", he possibly could have won. But it would take a very talented man to entirely defeat Cao Cao.
"Tell me not in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem."
-- Longfellow
Ender
Wandering Darkness

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium