Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby jiuwan » Mon May 05, 2003 3:29 am

Yu Angel wrote:wait up...
I've heard that in Zhou Yu's deathbed it was written
"heaven has created me. Why did they create Zhuge Liang too"

Now was the word actually written or did zhou Yu say that?

According to SGYY by LGZ, this was written:

既 生 瑜, 何 生 亮!

Translation: "If there's a Zhou Yu, why then a Zhuge Liang?" or "If Heaven created a Zhou Yu, why then did It create a Zhuge Liang as well." Either is fine. This was taken from my chinese book of SGYY, which is in three books.

Now I can't remember reading that exact same quote said by Zhou Yu on his deathbed in his SGZ bio. But I <b>do</b> remember a little tidbit on Zhou Yu that Wu-ist won't like. :lol: Zhou Yu later died at a very young age (35 or 36) :(
jiuwan
Marquis of Shun Ping

Unread postby Pang Shiyuan » Mon May 05, 2003 5:58 am

jiuwan wrote:According to SGYY by LGZ, this was written:

既 生 瑜, 何 生 亮!

Translation: "If there's a Zhou Yu, why then a Zhuge Liang?" or "If Heaven created a Zhou Yu, why then did It create a Zhuge Liang as well." Either is fine. This was taken from my chinese book of SGYY, which is in three books.

Now I can't remember reading that exact same quote said by Zhou Yu on his deathbed in his SGZ bio. But I <b>do</b> remember a little tidbit on Zhou Yu that Wu-ist won't like. :lol: Zhou Yu later died at a very young age (35 or 36) :(

There isn't any record on Zhou Yu's last words in his SGZ bio, save that whilst preparing to conquer Shu and Jing and return to Jing Zhou to attack Cao from Xiang Yang, he died on the way to Ba Qiu of sickness.
Pang Shiyuan
凤雏先生

Unread postby Lodril » Mon May 05, 2003 2:06 pm

grand master of san guo wrote:why does in end of every kingdom in rotk, each kingdom its weaked and everybody gets there own power?

This is sort of answered by the first sentence of the novel. Long divided, the Empire must unite; long united, it must divide.

It's primarily a dualist thing, really... perhaps a bit chauvenistic. Essentially, each power rises and grows strong with it's masculinity. As the unavoidable consequence, there is a subsequent rise in feminity later, that causes their downfall. For the Han, that was the power of the eunuchs, for Lu Bu, it was Diao Chan. Liu Shan flirts, and he also takes advice from his eunuchs; a double expression of his failing. It even burrows its way into the Battle at Red Cliffs, where Wu intercedes for Shu because of Cao Cao's poem about his tower and concubines. It's a common literary theme in China, this flux of gendered influences. Feminine influences are often the cause of weakness and the downfall of great powers.

For many of them, there could also be seen a common occidental theme - the corruptive influence of power. Each of those rulers, once in power and comfortable, grew corrupt and lax, and eventually failed because of that corruption. Dong Zhuo, for example, was always described as a powerful warrior, respected by the Qiang barbarians. Even Cao Cao hesitated to fight him directly, but as Dong Zhuo settled into power, he became fatter and more corrupt, and eventually that is what really killed him.
Lodril
Student

Unread postby Zhang Jiao » Mon May 05, 2003 6:33 pm

when Guan Yu was beheaded by Sun Quan, and Lu Meng was praised......
Guan Yu actually posessed Lu Meng assultade Sun Quan (with Lu Mengs body) and then Lu Meng died??? scary!
Zhang Jiao
Tyro

Unread postby Shadowlink » Tue May 06, 2003 5:24 pm

who was ling tong and xu sheng? they worked for wu right?
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby timon » Tue May 06, 2003 6:05 pm

how old was Zhao Zilong when he died? did he ever have any sons/daughters?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day.
timon
Changshi

Unread postby Shadowlink » Tue May 06, 2003 6:19 pm

perze wrote:how old was Zhao Zilong when he died? did he ever have any sons/daughters?
i think he died at 71 or the age of 70 he have two sons.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Pang Shiyuan » Tue May 06, 2003 10:33 pm

Actually, Zilong died around the age of 61 as recorded in SGZ.

Zhao Tong succeeded Zhao Yun and was given the rank Hu Ben Zhong Lang (General of Tiger Swiftness), while Zhao Guang was made a general of the standard (Ya Men Jiang Jun)
Pang Shiyuan
凤雏先生

Unread postby Shadowlink » Wed May 07, 2003 6:55 pm

So who was Ling Tong and Xu Sheng I heard they was good a dueling and Xu Sheng never lose a duel befor.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Ultimateweapon » Thu May 08, 2003 2:10 pm

I ask where can I get A biography on Sun Quan and Zhou Tai? Thank you
Ultimateweapon--The Bearer Of The True Rune

"Remember Kids ,Guns don't kill people. TREES DO!!!!."

Sun_Quan Lord of the Wu Army(I'm that name at other forums)
Ultimateweapon
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium