Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:47 am

Here's his timeline, written by Morg:
http://www.kongming.net/novel/chronology/liushan.php

He lived to be 65 or so. That's not incredibly long.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:50 am

Check Liu Shan's timeline in KMA. Hint: check the age at which he came to the throne.

Starting-line, it is great that you show such interest in the events of the Three Kingdoms. However, I would have to ask you to try to conglomerate your questions into one post if possible, and try to do a bit of research around the forum and on KMA before asking. As Kong Wen said, the answers to many of the questions you posted are pretty obvious with just a little bit of thinking and reading, and there is no reason to clog up this thread.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby starting-line » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:58 am

Yeah im sry for posting stupid stuff, I'll try to fix it better. it just im back my interest on Sgyy again.
I'm Da nizzle with da Bling, i know im gansta!
starting-line
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:58 pm

starting-line wrote:Before Lui Bei dies, he told zhuge liang if liu chan is weak zhuge liang can take over the emipre in order to save it. But why didnt zhuge liang do that?

It's kind of hard to be the Emperor of the Han Dynasty when your name is Zhuge.Regardless of what Liu Bei said,there is no way anyone but a true Liu heir can be Emperor.Anything less is inviting a massive propaganda war and weakening their cause.

didier wrote:I was wondering does anyone have ideas about how much martial arts (like Kung Fu, Tai Chi etc) were used in the battlefields of the Three Kingdoms period. Like what stage of development they were at, was there masters of self defence who taught others? Stuff like that?
Either with use of weapons or just hands. Any references people know of?
Nowadays chinese are known to be nimble martial arts fighters. How much so were they back then?

Kung Fu most certainly was not present in the form it is today.The orogin of Kung fu is such,monks would take in and give sanctuary to soldiers and such.The monks also had problems with bandits attacking them and so the soldiers taught them the fighting arts that they were acquainted with and that was revolutionized into Shaolin Kung Fu.
That said,there most certainly were fighting arts at the time since if there weren't any then everyone was essentially just swinging his sword with optimism.

The arts they used then may not have survived in their current form to this day or have distinguishing names but it is likely that forms of those same nameless arts were continued and were made by the monks into Shaolin kung fu.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:51 am

There was at least the art of swordsmanship. Even back in the Warring States period, there were famous teachers of the sword; Cao Pi boasts of having studied under the best sword teachers in Xuchang.

However, the average soldier was probably taught little more than how to hit someone with a sword. Remember that they didn't tend to be trained extensively (especially in the early years of the civil war). Whereas you can train anyone to use a sword to fight and look good (like many movie actors out there), to deserve the name of "martial artist" one needs to put in many many years of hard work. I just don't know anyone who put in that effort back then. There must have been earlier generals who trained their soldiers in martial arts, but the only one I can think of is Yue Fei of the Southern Song dynasty, who disciplined his men in the ways of martial arts in conjunction with meditation, etc.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Sima Hui » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:09 pm

starting-line wrote:Before Lui Bei dies, he told zhuge liang if liu chan is weak zhuge liang can take over the emipre in order to save it. But why didnt zhuge liang do that?

In my view, Liu Bei didn't mean a takeover like Liu Xie and Cao Pi, or even like Yao and Shun, but rather, he meant it as saying that although Zhuge Liang was a vassal, Liu Shan must treat Zhuge Liang like a teacher, a father and a liege, and obey him in the way that Zhuge Liang would obey Liu Shan. Hope I made that clear. If not, I'm sorry.
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:29 pm

Can anyone give me info on what Shen Pei did historiclly?
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sima Hui » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:17 pm

The only thing I know is that he defended Ye up until 204 AD and was then executed by Cao Cao. This, I think, is historical. Sadly, that's all I can be certain about, although I think he inspected Ye whilst Yuan Shao was at Guandu. Shen found out that Xu You was a bit of a dirty official and so Yuan Shao dismissed him. Once again, I can't be certain but I hope it helps. :wink:
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby starting-line » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:28 am

What famous sword did cao cao have?
I'm Da nizzle with da Bling, i know im gansta!
starting-line
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stedfel » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:41 am

starting-line wrote:What famous sword did cao cao have?

He had two, the Sword of Light and the Sword of Heaven.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium