Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby didier » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:16 am

The arbalest. Used to repel the first Wei attack into Hanzhong.

But comon man, please don't bring you're tiny annoying little questions into this section too... :cry:
Guan Yu once said "I do not fear death, it is but my journey home". That comforts me for the distant future, but I want to stay and play Three Kingdoms games.
didier
Scholar

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:17 am

Really, 100461443461 out of 100461443778 of these questions would be answered by spending a few hours reading the novel, or by spending a few hours reading the other threads on this forum.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Li Zhen » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:49 am

Kong Wen wrote:Really, 100461443461 out of 100461443778 of these questions would be answered by spending a few hours reading the novel, or by spending a few hours reading the other threads on this forum.

Where'd you get those figures from??

Wizardman wrote:Not sure about the first question. But I'm not sure what you mean by "Wei getting Jin back from Wu" If you mean the Jing province, then I would say that Jin got it when Wu surrendered.

Jingzhou was captured as part of Jin's campaign against Wu. By the time Sun Hao finally surrendered, most of his kingdom had already been captured.

At his position at Jiangling, Wu Yan heard of these defeats and knew his position was untenable, so he fled. However, he was soon captured and led into the presence of the victorious general.

"No use sparing you," said Du Yu, and he sentenced the prisoner to death.

Thus Jiangling was captured and all the counties along the River Xiang and River Yuan as far as Huangzhou, which surrendered at the first summons.

Du Yu sent out officers to soothe the people of the conquered counties, and they suffered nothing from the soldiery. Next he marched toward Wuchang, and that city also yielded. So the glory of Du Yu became very great. He then summoned his officers to a council to decide upon attacking Capital Jianye.

Had some questions, but I already got a lot left unanswered, and I won't be able to recieve a reply if I ask some now.

starting-line wrote:]Why was sun shao a good fighter? isn't he like sun quan's bro?

Sun Shao was originally Yu Shao, and was adopted by Sun Ce. This would make him a nephew of Sun Quan. There are some people who disagree with the book, and say he is the adoptive son of another member of the family, but even so, he remains a relation of Sun Quan.

The young man was Sun Shao, nephew of the Prince of Wu. Sun Shao was born to a Yu family, and he was adopted by Sun Ce and given the Sun family name. He had already the title of General Who Possesses Wide Prestige, and was in command at Guangling. Though young and impetuous, he was very valiant.

As they moved in disorder, suddenly arose the sounds of an enemy force, shouts and the rolling of drums and the blaring of trumpets, and a cohort marched down obliquely on to their line. And at the head was Sun Shao.

The troops of Wei could make no effective stand, and many were slain, while large numbers were driven into the river and drowned. By dint of great efforts, the Emperor was saved and got away up the river. But when they had sailed about ten miles, they saw ahead a tract of blazing reeds. The enemy had poured fish oil over the dry reeds and set them afire. The wind was spreading the flames down river toward the fleet of Wei, and the heat was intense. The dragon ships had to stop.

The book portays him as one of the better generals but he is in no way on par with the greatest (i.e. the characters in DW). This passage tells of his victory over Cao Pi, but he probably owed this more to his leadership than his physical strength.

Bear in mind that Luo Guanzhong can exaggerate people's desriptions to quite a high level, and that most characters mentioned in the book are superior fighters in reality (even the strategist types are decent fighters when compared with us). Some were better than others, but ignoring Luo's bias, they were all pretty formidable in battle.
Li Zhen
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby FengChu » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:04 pm

Kongming also invented the Gliding Horse, which is essentially the same as the Wooden Bull :P, and the arbalest that he invented shot ten 8-inch arrows at a time, but the design was acquired by Deng Ai and used against Jiang Wei.
FengChu
Apprentice

Unread postby starting-line » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:19 am

Before Lui Bei dies, he told zhuge liang if liu chan is weak zhuge liang can take over the emipre in order to save it. But why didnt zhuge liang do that?
I'm Da nizzle with da Bling, i know im gansta!
starting-line
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby FengChu » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:24 am

Zhuge Kongming was the perfect example of a loyal servant, it was not in his nature to betray the kindness of his former lord.
FengChu
Apprentice

Unread postby starting-line » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:35 am

Yeah since his loyal, that he must do is to save the han istead of being those stupid loyal, and i think he knows whats his doing if his gona take over.
starting-line
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby didier » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:39 am

Bear in mind that Luo Guanzhong can exaggerate people's desriptions to quite a high level, and that most characters mentioned in the book are superior fighters in reality (even the strategist types are decent fighters when compared with us).

I'll say he exagerrated!

I was wondering does anyone have ideas about how much martial arts (like Kung Fu, Tai Chi etc) were used in the battlefields of the Three Kingdoms period. Like what stage of development they were at, was there masters of self defence who taught others? Stuff like that?
Either with use of weapons or just hands. Any references people know of?
Nowadays chinese are known to be nimble martial arts fighters. How much so were they back then?
Guan Yu once said "I do not fear death, it is but my journey home". That comforts me for the distant future, but I want to stay and play Three Kingdoms games.
didier
Scholar

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:40 am

starting-line wrote:Yeah since his loyal, that he must do is to save the han istead of being those stupid loyal, and i think he knows whats his doing if his gona take over.

There are a lot of threads about Zhuge Liang and Liu Shan already. Feel free to do a search for one of them.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby starting-line » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:41 am

In SGYY how can long Lui Chan live so long? his like lived on the age with Sun Quan's grandson and cao's great grandson.
starting-line
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium