Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Rezko_Kanashi » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:32 am

Is there any active debates or theories of him being delusional about his healing faith, or maybe any theories as to explain that he was sane and using this as a long con to become a power in the land?
Rezko_Kanashi
Apprentice

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:59 am

Theories are all that it would be, as there's no way anyone today could know what was going on inside his head. It's not as though he left behind any writings talking about how gullible his followers were. But whether he thought he was an actual miracle worker or not, he still mobilized a massive following spread throughout the Han empire, very well organized as peasant revolts go, though the uprising was forced to start earlier than he'd hoped.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Gongsun Z. » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:18 pm

Hello there,

This time, it's not one, nor two, but four questions I have ! I guess you can help. :)

1.What is the meaning of: 'congzi 從子' ?
In current translations, I somewhere find 'Paternal uncle's son', another time it's 'Cousin', or even 'Nephew'. It's very confusing... :evil:

Which one is correct ?

2.The second question is about reading of the names. Some signs have multiple sounds for the same writing.

For example:

For '劉禪', we can have 'Liu Chan' or 'Liu Shan'.
For '全緝', it's 'Quan Ji' or 'Quan Qi'.
For '句安', 'Gou An' or 'Ju An'.

My question is: In each case, which one is the good one ? How is it chosen ? Is there some sort of convention that says one is prefered to the other ? Or is it a free choice of the translator we can read ?

For Liu Shan, I know 'Shan' means 'abdicate', so maybe is it currently favored by a certain sense of humor, no ?

3. Like in my second question, the same name gives different sounds. It could be said so even about ancient places.

(會稽) is 'Kuaiji', 'Huiji' or 'Guiji' ? Which is the good one ?
(琅邪) should be literally 'Langxie', but I found 'Langye' or even 'Langya' ? Is it some sort of transformation of that name by the time passing by ??

4. This question lead to another one. I guess that the ancient people of the Three Kingdoms speaks very differently than the ones of today. Do you know if there is some studies I can read about that ?

EDIT: Thanks for your help, Qin Feng. I understand (a little) more now.
Last edited by Gongsun Z. on Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gongsun Z.
Tyro

Unread postby Qin Feng » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:26 pm

I don't know about the first, but about the second, some characters are written the same but have different pronunciations.
So the character 句 is read as "ju", but it can also be read as Gou. The meaning varies as well. Even though his character can be read either Ju or Gou, when it's a surname, it's Gou.
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby greencactaur » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:42 pm

I once read that Liu Biao had at one time heard of both Pang Tong and Zhuge Liang, but refused to hire Pang Tong due to how he looked, but now there is a legend that it was Sun Quan who declined him? As for ZL I guess he never got around to actually acquiring him, but I wonder how legitimate the tale was? I feel like Liu Biao had a decent eye for talent he managed to acquire both Kuai's , Wen Pin, Cai Mao, Yujin and a few other decent officers. If it's true he didn't grab ZL/PT it seems like he missed two titans of the era. Can anyone back up the truth of whether or not he actually had some sort of interaction or interest for those two?
greencactaur
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:35 am

greencactaur wrote:I once read that Liu Biao had at one time heard of both Pang Tong and Zhuge Liang, but refused to hire Pang Tong due to how he looked, but now there is a legend that it was Sun Quan who declined him? As for ZL I guess he never got around to actually acquiring him, but I wonder how legitimate the tale was? I feel like Liu Biao had a decent eye for talent he managed to acquire both Kuai's , Wen Pin, Cai Mao, Yujin and a few other decent officers. If it's true he didn't grab ZL/PT it seems like he missed two titans of the era. Can anyone back up the truth of whether or not he actually had some sort of interaction or interest for those two?

Do you mean Yuji rather then Yu Jin?

The looks declined is novel and Sun Quan is accused of it, Liu Biao is accused in the records of not using Wang Can enough due to looks (though Andrew Chittik disputes that Liu Biao neglected Wang Can off the top of my head). So I think there may have been a mix up there of two tales?

Pang Tong served in the local administration then served on Zhou Yu's staff and was friends to some senior Wu officers before joining Liu Bei. Zhuge Liang was part of Sima Hui's circle but it was a local circle and Liu Biao didn't hire Zhuge Liang or seem particularly aware of him. They were not big name figures at the time so Liu Biao would have been relying on their being sent up the lines by local administrators and was dealing with a north-south officer core divided as it was which may have influenced attitudes
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby greencactaur » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:52 pm

Haha Yes I meant YuJI :) sorry about that, and thanks for the response.
greencactaur
Master

Unread postby ky9ersfan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:40 am

This is for one of the more knowledgeable board members. I was playing ROTK 14, and read in Xu Zhu's bio that Cao Cao was impressed by Xu Zhu's fighting with Dian Wei, and someone named Hu Jiao. My question is who is this Hu Jiao, and what did he do in history or the novel????
ky9ersfan
Assistant

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:23 am

It's one of many typos, in all likelihood.

In the Romance, Xu Chu's introduction was him quickly defeating and capturing the Yellow Turban He Yi. He Yi becoming Hu Jiao seems like quite the major typo, but that's the best I can think of, I'm not aware of anyone else by that name in the Romance.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby ky9ersfan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:15 am

Oh ok, well that clears that up. Thanks for the response.
ky9ersfan
Assistant

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium