Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Han » Sat May 30, 2020 2:19 pm

Where can I find The Jin Dynasty part 1 and part 2???
Liu Bei did nothing wrong.
Han
Changshi

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat May 30, 2020 4:56 pm

Been removed from public forum at the poster's request
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby greencactaur » Sat May 30, 2020 11:32 pm

In the novel, and in historical writings there are examples of troop types being classified as "light" or "elite". For example when Lu bu was besieged by Cao Cao, I believe reading Yuan shu send 3000 light cavalry to aid Lu bu, but was intercepted by cao troops. My question is what are the differences between a light or elite infantry? Also how many troop types existed?
greencactaur
Master

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun May 31, 2020 10:37 am

Elite troops were probably those who actually had equipment and received some degree of training.

Most soldiers in this time were conscripted, given some kinda weapon and just thrown into it. Elite troops were the private ones of an individual officer who paid for them to be equipped properly and provided them with proper training.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Li_Shengsun » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:11 am

Guys, i've started playing ROTK14 and found out of this one officer that never been in any records.

Who is Ju Fu? He's never been on any ROTK series b4, not even on officer encyclopedia in kongming.net.
what i know is he's serving under Shu and died on 252, and he's also not a side-officer esque thing that ROTK14 represent.
So, im kinda curious about him, why he's off the radar until now?
Everyone has flaws. It's a matter of finding the ones you can live with.
Li_Shengsun
Assistant

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:58 am

He is equal to Wang Ping. He was a major character in Legend of Jiang Wei and also know as Gou Fu.

Wang Ping's SGZ records him
Previously, Gōu Fú of Hànchāng in the same prefecture as Píng was loyal and brave and magnanimous, repeatedly had battle achievements, and his achievements and fame and rank were second to Píng, his office reached Left General, with fief as Marquis of Dàngqú. (1)

初,平同郡漢昌句扶句古候反忠勇寬厚,數有戰功,功名爵位亞平,官至左將軍,封宕渠侯。〔一〕

Huáyáng Guǒzhì states: Later Zhāng Yì, Liào Huà both were General-in-Chief. At the time people said: “Previously there was Wáng [Píng] and Gōu [Fú], later there was Zhāng [Yì] and Liào [Huà].
"To triumph without fighting is the greatest enterprise of the sovereign. Better to capture a state intact than to wreck it; better to capture an army complete than to destroy it. These are the principles of warfare."
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:34 am

greencactaur wrote:In the novel, and in historical writings there are examples of troop types being classified as "light" or "elite". For example when Lu bu was besieged by Cao Cao, I believe reading Yuan shu send 3000 light cavalry to aid Lu bu, but was intercepted by cao troops. My question is what are the differences between a light or elite infantry? Also how many troop types existed?

I believe light troops were those that stripped back their equipment so they could move quickly?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Li_Shengsun » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:22 am

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:He is equal to Wang Ping. He was a major character in Legend of Jiang Wei and also know as Gou Fu.

Wang Ping's SGZ records him
Previously, Gōu Fú of Hànchāng in the same prefecture as Píng was loyal and brave and magnanimous, repeatedly had battle achievements, and his achievements and fame and rank were second to Píng, his office reached Left General, with fief as Marquis of Dàngqú. (1)

初,平同郡漢昌句扶句古候反忠勇寬厚,數有戰功,功名爵位亞平,官至左將軍,封宕渠侯。〔一〕

Huáyáng Guǒzhì states: Later Zhāng Yì, Liào Huà both were General-in-Chief. At the time people said: “Previously there was Wáng [Píng] and Gōu [Fú], later there was Zhāng [Yì] and Liào [Huà].

Thx, DaoLun, that was helpful :D
Everyone has flaws. It's a matter of finding the ones you can live with.
Li_Shengsun
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:40 pm

From Liu Zan's Wushu bio in Sun Jun's SGZ

Liú Zàn appellation Zhèngmíng, was a Kuàijī Chángshān man. When he young he was appointed a commandery official, and with the Yellow Scarves rebel commander Wú Huán fought, and with his own hand beheaded Huán. Zàn in one leg had been injured, and thereafter it was crooked and could not extend.

1) When roughly did Liu Zan kill Wu Huan?

2) Is my reading correct and Liu Zan's leg injury was due to the battle?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Kongde » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:52 am

I found these two quotes from a while back about Ju Fu -

rippletoadz wrote:Could I get some more information about Ju Fu (句扶)? The Chinese Wikipedia says this:

時人稱「前有王(王平)、句,後有張(張翼)、廖(廖化)」,亦與王平、馬忠、張翼、鄧芝並稱為蜀漢後五虎上將。

So from what I can gather from my limited Mandarin knowledge, people used to say that in the front there are Wang Ping and Ju Fu, and in the back there are Zhang Yi and Liao Hua. And along with Wang Ping, Ma Zhong, Zhang Yi, and Deng Zhi was called Shu Han's Later Five Tiger Generals. But he doesn't seem to appear in the novel, and among these other generals he seems to be the most obscure.

DragonAtma wrote:According to kongming.net's officer ranks, Ju Fu was Shu's General Of The East 247-249 (the same rank Ma Chao held in 219 and Wu Yi held 226-233). The Book of Shu (Sanguozhi) lists biographies of seventy Shu generals, but Ju Fu isn't one of them.

According to Koei's wiki, he appears in dynasty warriors 7's Battle of Chengdu (Jin kingdom), although DyW games like to ...adjust.... the truth.

To my knowledge, he hasn't showed up in of Koei's RoTK games.

Hopefully the other people can help some more.
?-Kongde-?
Kongde
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium