Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Fornadan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:04 am

Kongde wrote:Why are there so many errors in recorded Chinese history? Even on issues like eclipses and simple transcription errors where dates dont add up or names are incorrectly wrote down for someone else? I could understand issues here and there - but it often seems to be quite literally littered in these simple errors.

Handcopying a text without making any errors is actually quite difficult, you can try a little test yourself, so transcription errors are quite likely. Particularly with names and dates it is less obvious that an error has been made, so less chance that error is corrected afterwards.
Translations from the Book of Jin: http://bookofjin.tumblr.com/index
Fornadan
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:02 pm

MasterG0819 wrote:Any idea where Yu Jin was from 209-219? Reading his SGZ and not seeing him in anyone else’s during this time he seems to had suddenly gone from being one of Cao Cao’s most used generals to doing nothing until Fan.

Good question. After the fall of Meicheng, there was the Zhu Ling thing. Possibly personal reasons kept him at home or he was held back in reserve? It really isn't clear and hard to guess.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby greencactaur » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:19 am

What happened to Yan Baihu? I know Sun Ce managed to take his supplies and Yan was forced to flee, but is his death recorded or waht happened to him afterwards?
greencactaur
Master

Unread postby Tarrot » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:29 am

Not recorded. I was reading up on him and his death date was unknown. There's debate if he died in 197 or if he lived to when Sun Ce died in 200, because Xu Gong fled to Yan Baihu after one of his defeats in the late 190s and they seemed to be working together up until Xu Gong's death. Sun Ce was ether preparing to attack Cao Cao or further into the southlands or to get rid of Yan Baihu at the time he was killed, but I don't remember anything recorded about what the army did after that.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:58 am

Does anyone know if Yan Baihu was Shanyue or a Chinese leader? I had thought he was a Shanyue figure but Generals of the South indicates his family was of long standing in Wu and he doesn't get referenced (as far as I can tell) in any text as a Shanyue figure
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:05 am

I would assume Chinese since he had relatively positive relations with anyone. If he was Shanyue you'd imagine it would be brought up in his biography.

Does anyone know if there's a copy of the ZZTJ from 200-220 that's done in the modern Pinyin? Rafe has a translated version up to 220, and updated versions up to 200, but nothing updated from 200 to 220. I could copy all the text and then Find and Replace everything to update it, but I'm curious if that exist so I don't need to do all that.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:54 pm

Is the second volume of To Establish Peace not what you're looking for? It's all in pinyin.
"You have attacked us before, and we survived! You cannot defeat us. Submit!"
"We have. You did. We can. No."
Taishi Ci 2.0
Grand Historian Friendly to Cats

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:12 pm

Ok, I had downloaded that, but when I went to the ANU website it only showed the first volume's dates, so got a little confused.

My plan is to just have a few PDFs to search for in my ranks spreadsheet (PDF because I really like the one sentence preview/jump to the part in the text). One for Rafe's stuff, one for Jordan's 220-265, and one for your 265-280 ZZTJ, to account for different terminology on ranks and such.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby MasterG0819 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:50 am

Hey guys. What do the records say about Chen Yu?
MasterG0819
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:57 pm

MasterG0819 wrote:Hey guys. What do the records say about Chen Yu?

From established family and cousins to the more famous Chen's, held rank of Consultant before civil war, sent by Yuan Shu to take Yang but when Yuan Shu was driven south to Yang by Cao Cao, ended up rebelling against his master. Yuan Shu was able to regroup his forces so Chen Yu legged it back to Xiapi. Later joined Cao Cao and was in essence Cao Cao's man in the south, trying to strengthen Cao Cao's diplomatic hand against rising Sun Ce. Stirred up revolt but was taken by surprise by Lu Fan's sudden arrival with naval forces and fled to Yuan Shao, vanishes from records.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium