Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:22 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:He had no relation at all to Jia Xu. He was the son of Jia Kui from Hedong, while Jia Xu was from Wuwei. Just a case of them sharing the same name, yet having no relation.

Good, I didn’t want the great strategist tarnished in my mind by association with Chong.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:24 pm

If it saves Jia Kui for you, there is a lovely anecdote showing that he was a loyalist to Wei rather than a despicable traitor and regicide :D

A Garden of Marvels: Tales of Wonder from Early Medieval China by Robert Ford Campany -
After the Jin emperor Xuan [Sima Yi] had Wang Ling executed, he was bedridden with illness. In the daytime he saw Ling approach him. The ruler cried out, “Yanyun is detaining me!” Afterward bruises appeared on his body. Jia Kui also haunted him. Within a few days he was dead. When Ling had first been seized, as he was being taken past Jia Kui’s temple, he yelled, “Jia Liangdao, I, Wang Ling, am a loyal servant of the Wei house! Surely you, on account of your divinity, know this!” That is why Kui helped him.
"To triumph without fighting is the greatest enterprise of the sovereign. Better to capture a state intact than to wreck it; better to capture an army complete than to destroy it. These are the principles of warfare."
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:39 pm

I don't really know much about Jia Kui, why should I care if he is redeemed in my mind?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:46 pm

Jia Kui was one of the more influential statesman of Wei. He rose from quite literally nothing, too poor to even afford clothing, and through his meritorious service to the state, both in battle and in the domestic side, he rose all the way up the ranks of the military to hold high Generalship. He's even one of the two responsibly for saving Cao Xiu after the disaster at Shiting, alongside Wang Ling. He was a pretty marvelous guy.
"To triumph without fighting is the greatest enterprise of the sovereign. Better to capture a state intact than to wreck it; better to capture an army complete than to destroy it. These are the principles of warfare."
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:47 pm

He does sound pretty cool! I'm a sucker for a something from nothing story.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:52 pm

As far as I am aware his SGZ isn't translated, but his bio in Rafe's tome is pretty great if you want to know more. Jia Kui is one of my favorites, despite his son being one of my least favorites. :lol:
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:29 am

Sun Fin wrote:
DaoLunOfShiji wrote:He had no relation at all to Jia Xu. He was the son of Jia Kui from Hedong, while Jia Xu was from Wuwei. Just a case of them sharing the same name, yet having no relation.

Good, I didn’t want the great strategist tarnished in my mind by association with Chong.

Chong was a great strategist too! You can consider how he used his skills in his later days to be reprehensible, of course, but he got things done. (Though Sun Hao’s foolishness did help Chong’s Wu campaign be so successful.)
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:07 pm

Jia Nanfeng wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:

Chong was a great strategist too! You can consider how he used his skills in his later days to be reprehensible, of course, but he got things done. (Though Sun Hao’s foolishness did help Chong’s Wu campaign be so successful.)

Sure, but he also relied on some of the most impressed Military generals of the age in Wang Hun, Hu Fen, Wang Jun, Du Yu etc., as well as the civil mastermind and logistics genius of Zhang Hua. I would say Chong relitivly failed in his role in Wu's conquest, seeing as he was meant to keep communication between the columns, and yet Wang Jun and Hun had their issues with one another that all stem from poor communication. Chong was a talented man for sure, just morally bankrupt and a bit overblown with his reluctant participation in Wu's conquest.
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:34 pm

What was drug use like back in the Three Kingdoms time period? Was it illegal or just frowned upon? Or did anyone really care? Did any notable officers in the era use them?
PeanutButterToast
Initiate

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:11 am

There were drugs at the time, specifically one of note was known as five-mineral powder.
This quote, attribute to He Yan, was from the Shishuo Xinyu so take it with a grain of salt
Whenever I take five-mineral powder, not only does it heal any illness I might have, but I am also aware of my spirit and intelligence becoming receptive and lucid.

Huangfu Mi, the famous scholar, is as well said to be an avid user of it.
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium