Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Han » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:10 am

Chronologically. Exceptional lucky moments.

Fleeing from Dong Zhuo's tyranny.

Fleeing from Xu Rong.

Surviving against Lü Bu's Yan province attacks even when isolated and during a long stretch of famine IIRC.

Successfully appeasing Yuan Shao.

Fleeing at Wancheng.

Forming succesful alliances with the Liang warlords during the Northen campaigns.

The successful ambush during the Wuhuan campaign.

Liu Biao's death during the Southern invasion.

Fleeing at Chibi.

Escaping Liu Bei's pursuit at Wulin.

Surviving Ma Chao's onslaught.

The Guanxi alliance being suspicious of one another.

Barely salvaging the Hanzhong loss.
Liu Bei did nothing wrong.
Han
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:10 am

Thanks guys :D
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:16 pm

I'm reading the novel, which means I don't really know what parts are legit and what aren't. But now that I think about it, I find it rather strange that Liu Bei rejected Tao Qian's offer to leave Xu in Liu Bei's hands. Why would he reject it when later on he would found his own kingdom by seizing land from the imperial family? Was it because Cao Cao wasn't so powerful then? Or was that entirely fabricated to make Liu Bei look like a paragon of confucian virtue and humility?
Qin Feng
Initiate

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:37 pm

Liu Bei did actually historically decline Tao Qian's offer. Tao Qian's thought on the matter was
“Other than Liu Bei, there is none other than can bring peace to this province.”

Eventually Bei did relent and accept the offer after men like MI Zhu, Chen Deng and Kong Rong were able to convince him otherwise. Kong Rong's proposal is still extant,
“Is Yuan Gonglu someone who will be concerned about the state and forget family? In what way are dried bones in the grave worthy of attention? As far as today’s matter is concerned, the people will adhere to men of ability. If one does not take what heaven offers, it will be too late if you regret it later.”

As is Chen Deng's talk with Yuan Shao
“Xuzhou is in a desperate situation and the people have no ruler. We have lost a few generals. I am afraid unscrupulous people will take this opportunity to dominate the land and this will increase the burden on the Chief of the Alliance. “Now we are asking the Governor of Pingyuan, Liu Bei, to take over so that the people have a good ruler. In these chaotic times, I am thus informing the Chief of the situation.”

And Shao replied
“Liu Xuande is indeed very trustworthy. The people of Xuzhou will be more than deserving to have him as their ruler.”
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:13 am

Qin Feng wrote:I'm reading the novel, which means I don't really know what parts are legit and what aren't. But now that I think about it, I find it rather strange that Liu Bei rejected Tao Qian's offer to leave Xu in Liu Bei's hands. Why would he reject it when later on he would found his own kingdom by seizing land from the imperial family? Was it because Cao Cao wasn't so powerful then? Or was that entirely fabricated to make Liu Bei look like a paragon of confucian virtue and humility?

It's also worth pointing out, Cao Cao had it out for Tao Qian at this point and one could draw the assumption that maybe Liu Bei didn't want anything to do with that conflict at the time, or inheriting land that had been through two nasty wars already. So at first, maybe he declined the offer due to this. Tao Qian also didn't seem to have issues with his subordinates like Liu Zhang did, so another possibility is that Liu Bei didn't want to take on the role because not all of Tao Qian's subordinates may have followed his commands. Liu Zhang was an entirely different situation - not to mention that historically the "southern" Lius seemed quite disinterested in playing up to any imperial lineage ties, given how they set themselves up in distant outposts and carved out their own, basically independent, power bases.

Historically I also believe that at this time, Liu Bei wasn't really anti-Wei or anything yet (it barely existed at the time), so he wasn't really looking to position himself to counter Cao Cao specifically. In fact once he took over, he seemed more interested in opposing Yuan Shu than anything else.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Han » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Total War just used kongming.net as a reference!!!

Pretty cool really.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war ... ds-liu-bei
Liu Bei did nothing wrong.
Han
Scholar

Unread postby Tao Qian » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:32 pm

That's really cool! :D
Tao Qian
Assistant

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Do the records mention anyone who had a pet or pets? Not counting horses of courses.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:55 pm

Michael Leowe mentions people owning dogs in one of his books. However they always had a purpose - like a guard dog. I can dig out the reference for you if you'd like? I particularly enjoyed it as the example given was a husky - the breed of dog I want!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:03 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Michael Leowe mentions people owning dogs in one of his books. However they always had a purpose - like a guard dog. I can dig out the reference for you if you'd like? I particularly enjoyed it as the example given was a husky - the breed of dog I want!

Sure, I'd like to see it when you have time. :)
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium