Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Rafe De Crispigny believes they are cousins which is where their relationship derives from.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rezko_Kanashi » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Yeah I know they're considered cousins, but Cao Cao wasn't as close to his other ones like Cao Ren, and Cao Hong like he was the Xiahous. Were Cao Cao and Xiahou Dun from the same area?
Rezko_Kanashi
Apprentice

Unread postby Fornadan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:48 pm

The Cao and Xiahou clans came from the same county, Qiao in Pei commandery, so friendships and intermarriages between the clans are pretty much a given
Translations from the Book of Jin: http://bookofjin.tumblr.com/index
Fornadan
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:15 pm

Rezko_Kanashi wrote:Yeah I know they're considered cousins, but Cao Cao wasn't as close to his other ones like Cao Ren, and Cao Hong like he was the Xiahous. Were Cao Cao and Xiahou Dun from the same area?

Ah I understand. As Forndan says most the Cao's and Xiahou's lived in the same area. I think its just one of those things, I have four cousins, we all grew up in largely the same area yet I'm closer to one than the others. There are factors for that but nothing that would probably be recorded in history and I presume its the same for Cao Cao.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:10 am

After Chibi was Cao Cao pursued by ally forces? I'm struggling to remember if the events of the novel are based on history? Also did Guan Yu let Cao Cao escape or was that pure invention?
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:28 am

Sun Fin wrote:
Rezko_Kanashi wrote:Yeah I know they're considered cousins, but Cao Cao wasn't as close to his other ones like Cao Ren, and Cao Hong like he was the Xiahous. Were Cao Cao and Xiahou Dun from the same area?

Ah I understand. As Forndan says most the Cao's and Xiahou's lived in the same area. I think its just one of those things, I have four cousins, we all grew up in largely the same area yet I'm closer to one than the others. There are factors for that but nothing that would probably be recorded in history and I presume its the same for Cao Cao.

A good portion of the Xiahou and Cao were from Pei.

Sun Fin wrote:After Chibi was Cao Cao pursued by ally forces? I'm struggling to remember if the events of the novel are based on history? Also did Guan Yu let Cao Cao escape or was that pure invention?

Cao Cao escaped from Chibi without incident. Guan Yu was not at the fable Huarong road, and the coalition forces didn't famously try to force Cao Cao into the other to kill him.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:33 am

That's what I thought! Thanks buddy! :D
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby greencactaur » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:36 am

I've read some of the heights of some people during the era. Liu Bei was supposedly 7 chi 5 cun tall. 7 Chi is suppose to be over 7 feet tall? Is it possible the descriptions are exaggerating just a tad? I highly doubt Liu Bei could be that tall. People in the past were supposedly shorter correct?
greencactaur
Master

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:33 pm

Cheng Yu is recorded as eightchi three chun tall, which is roughly 6'2" if my conversion is right. Liu Bei was around 5'6"-5'8", which I believe is supposed to be the rough average. However there were a lot of people in Shu that were recorded as 8 chi.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Han » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:43 am

Liu Bei did nothing wrong.
Han
Changshi

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium