Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:35 am

To Establish Peace wrote:Am I wrong in feeling Liu Bei is a tad underrated? I honestly see him as the Vercingetorix to Cao Cao's Caesar, a really great, top tier commander and leader in his own right but going up against an all time great who had the devil's luck. Though the thing that it's hard to get past is that Liu Bei lost A LOT in his early years, but i also kind of grade him as a curve because he started so far behind the other warlords of the era.

Thoughts on my view point?

He is somewhat underatted I think. Not as much as he once was when novel incompetence hanged over him but I do think he is underatted a tad. In some areas (charisma, political wheeling and dealing, use of officers ) he was excellent, in others areas he was good but not great. I wouldn't remotely call him a good or top tier commander as when he finally got forces in equalish footing (ala taking of Yi, Hanzhong, Yi Ling), Liu Bei showed he was a skilled but slow, grinding commander lacking flair that makes a great commander.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:29 am

Why on Earth is Sun Quan said to have a purple beard and green eyes, at least in the novel?
PeanutButterToast
Apprentice

Unread postby waywardauthor » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:43 am

PeanutButterToast wrote:Why on Earth is Sun Quan said to have a purple beard and green eyes, at least in the novel?

Might have been partially mixed race, as there are a couple of people with red hair and colored eyes mentioned. A distinct minority, but not completely unheard of. Red hair can sometimes appear slightly purple, especially if its mixed with black hair.
Alone I lean under the wispy shade of an aged tree,
Scornfully I raise to parted lips a cup of warm wine,
Longingly I cast an empty vessel aside those exposed roots,
And leave behind forgotten memories and forsaken dreams.
waywardauthor
Sage

Unread postby solemio » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:22 am

Sorry for the confusion, his name starts with an "Y" in Japanese input. Yoshimoto was not just unable to fly for his life. He was said to be very bad at riding because he had short legs and thus he move on a sedan.

DragonAtma wrote:
solemio wrote:Here is a question that has haunted me for years. Sun Quan was said to have relatively short legs and so was Yimagawa Yoshimoto. However, the former was a good rider and escaped at Xiaoyaojin, while the latter couldn't ride properly and lost both the battle and his life to Nobunaga. How come?

After reading this a half dozen times I realized you don't mean Yimagawa but Imagawa.

That said, Imagawa Yoshimoto was completely taken by surprise. By the time he realized he was under attack, his tend was undefended, the attackers almost right next to it, and Yoshimoto may have been completely unprepared for battle (no weapon, no armor, definitely no horse). In comparison, Sun Quan was on a horse, he had weapon and armor, and he had a thousand soldiers to defend him and help him escape.

So although Sun Quan's position was threatened, Yoshimoto's was far, far worse.
You bloomed like a burning rose and exhausted my heart, which hence can bear nothing but weeds.
solemio
Tyro

Unread postby greencactaur » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:23 pm

I think I read that Yoshimoto Imagawa was encamped, resting in his tent. I recall also reading that before the ambush happened that his soldiers were making a lot of noise. At the time he stepped out to discipline and yell at his soldiers, but what he found was actually an Ambush. At that point he was already surrounded by 2 generals, he supposedly parried the first attack, but was taken by the second. Not sure if this is factual but its something I read.
greencactaur
Academic

Unread postby DragonAtma » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:07 am

I realize this is slightly outside the traditional Three Kingdoms period, but....

From 178 to 181, Dragon Liang rebelled in Jiaozhi, only get get flattened within weeks of Zhu Jun's arrival. Do we have any more details about the rebellion and who else was involved? It'd help have a 184 scenario not be so empty if we tinker with the dates a bit.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby waywardauthor » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:42 pm

DragonAtma wrote:I realize this is slightly outside the traditional Three Kingdoms period, but....

From 178 to 181, Dragon Liang rebelled in Jiaozhi, only get get flattened within weeks of Zhu Jun's arrival. Do we have any more details about the rebellion and who else was involved? It'd help have a 184 scenario not be so empty if we tinker with the dates a bit.
There are two others from Rafe's Book of People
Administrator of Cangwu in Jiaozhi province in the late 170s, Chen Shao joined the insurgents lead by Liang Long. The 181 new inspector Zhu Jun arrived on the border with troops. He killed Chen Shao to show his authority and inspired many surrenders among the rebels.

Kong Zhi - Administrator of Nanhai in the late 170s, Kong Zhi joined the rebellion of Liang Long. In 181 the insurgents were destroyed by the inspector Zhu Jun

Zhu Fu, Zhu Jun's son, may have taken part in putting down the rebellion, as he was appointed to lead the place a decade afterwards. He may have served there before taking over. Not as talented as his father though, he disappeared shortly after another rebellion took over. His other son, who also died not long after, may have taken part as he was appointed to a point not too far away.
Alone I lean under the wispy shade of an aged tree,
Scornfully I raise to parted lips a cup of warm wine,
Longingly I cast an empty vessel aside those exposed roots,
And leave behind forgotten memories and forsaken dreams.
waywardauthor
Sage

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:43 am

Aha, thanks!
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby plunged » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:59 pm

DragonAtma wrote:I realize this is slightly outside the traditional Three Kingdoms period, but....

I collected some bits on that once and put it in one article. Maybe you wanna read it, it's not so big: http://threekingdoms.wikia.com/wiki/Jiaozhi_Rebellion
Please check out: Gongjin's Campaign Memorials: a Three Kingdoms Wiki.
Now with translations of: He Jin, Huangfu Song, Zhu Jun, Lu Zhi, Cheng Pu, Sima Shi, Lady Wang and many more.

Read Romance of the Three Kingdoms online (with corrected names)
plunged
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Ah, that's useful -- especially since it clarifies that the rebellion was in greater jiaozhi (i.e. future jiaozhou) and not jiaozhi commandery.

DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium