Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue May 30, 2017 8:07 am

Based of the traditional Chinese calendar used in the Later Han era what date would 22nd July 183 AD be?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Looks like it would be the fifteenth day of the sixth month of Emperor Ling of Han's sixth year of Guanghe.

I used the 1582 setting on this site to calculate it.
"You have attacked us before, and we survived! You cannot defeat us. Submit!"
"We have. You did. We can. No."
Taishi Ci 2.0
Grand Historian Friendly to Cats

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue May 30, 2017 7:04 pm

Wonderful, thank you! :D
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:04 pm

What do we know of Zhen Ji's life before she got married?
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:00 am

Assuming you mean the wife of Cao Pi (and Yuan Xi):
She was from an influential family in Wuji county, Zhongshan. Her family held influential government positions for several generations.

Her father was Zhen Yi, magistrate of Changcai, but he died when she was three. Her mother was from the Zhang family of Changshan. Lady Zhen had three brothers (Yu, Yan, and Yao) and four sisters (Jiang, Tuo, Dao, and Rong. Lady Zhen is the only one whose surname is not recorded.)

The SGZ says that around 193, regional famine was devastating Zhongshan. The Zhen family had extensive stores of grain, and Lady Zhen persuaded her mother to distribute their grain freely, which made them much beloved by the people of their region.

The Wei Shu says that Lady Zhen had exceptional physiognomy. She was noted for being frugal and propitious and hated frivolity. She also had an avid interest in reading and writing. She was known to borrow her brothers' brushes and inkstones - when they admonished her for not pursuing more womanly pursuits, she reminded them of the importance of studying.

The Weilüe says that when she was 14, her brother Yan died. Lady Zhen served her widowed sister-in-law very faithfully and helped care for their child. Her mother (a stern woman) disliked seeing her daughter wait on an in-law, but Lady Zhen softened her heart. Afterwards, Lady Zhen moved in wit her sister-in-law and the two were extremely close.

Some time after this, Yuan Shao arranged for his middle son Yuan Xi to marry her to secure support in Zhongshan. Despite this marriage, the two don't seem to have been very close. When Yuan Xi left to be Inspector of You province, Lady Zhen remained behind at the family headquarters in Ye and served her mother-in-law instead.

Lady Zhen came into the Cao family's custody when Ye fell around the end of 204. She married Cao Pi not long after that.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:05 am

capnnerefir wrote:Assuming you mean the wife of Cao Pi (and Yuan Xi):
She was from an influential family in Wuji county, Zhongshan. Her family held influential government positions for several generations.

Thanks Cap, that was who I meant! :D
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:40 am

I'm playing through WO3 currently having never played a Jin stage on a DW game (I've only fairy recently upgraded from a PS2) and I'm finding Sima Zhou and Zhuge Dan's relationship intriguing. I was wondering how much it is based on their historic relationship?
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:45 am

I don't quite recall what it is in WO3 but in DW8 it is fantastic, much better than it was in DW7. How is their relationship in WO3 to refresh the memory?
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:10 am

Sima Zhao is constantly looking for his approval and Zhuge Dan is dismissive of him. Almost treats him like an annoying brother, lots of talents but too lazy and immature to harness it. I know very little about the later period of the 3K era so I have no idea what their relationship was like in history?
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:57 am

I doubt Sima Zhao was pleased to get demoted for a failed invasion that Zhuge Dan had pushed for, there was mutual unease after Zhuge Dan's friends were killed. I don't think there any particular relationship between the two men historically
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium