Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby mrbeate » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:03 am

Human5 wrote:How come it seems that the kingdoms are "color coded"?

Wei seems to be blue
Shu seems to be green
and Wu seems to be red.

Was that really their uniform/banner colors?

That is only in games by Koei.

The colors were really:

Shu - Red
Wei - Black/Yellow
Wu - Green

Majority of soldiers did not have a unique uniform. But the banners/standards were of these colors.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerTally » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:15 am

Those color may be just the fiction/game/movie creator's imagination. Ancient Chinese believed in the Five Elements idea, while each dynasty/kingdom is associated with one of the elements. Therefore flags of each kingdom would probably use the color that represent its corresponding element, like yellow for earth and red for fire. I am pretty sure Wei scholars acknowledged themselves an earth-associated state, but I don't know for Shu and Wu.

For the armours and other equipments, it is even more doubtful that the warlords would be willing to spend budgets for "color-coding".

EDIT:
mrbeate wrote:That is only in games by Koei.

The colors were really:

Shu - Red
Wei - Black/Yellow
Wu - Green

Majority of soldiers did not have a unique uniform. But the banners/standards were of these colors.

I also heard this combination before, but was unable to identify its source. It would be nice if you can point out where these information come from. :P
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:00 am

TigerTally wrote:I also heard this combination before, but was unable to identify its source. It would be nice if you can point out where these information come from. :P

Three kingdoms museum. There are banners, standards in display that shows the colors of the kingdoms. Other then that, there is the Five Powers theory, Jin ruled through metal which was white.

I think Sun Quan ruled through the earth element as well.

Liu Bei ruled through the power of fire(red). Han Dynasty ruled through the element of fire, and Liu Bei's Shu-Han was a dynasty that proclaimed to be the new Han dynasty.
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hyper90 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:14 pm

was Ma Teng a Han loyalist or just a guy from from Qiangs?
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 pm

Ex Han soldier who turned against the Han and allied with some Qiang warlords, was of Qiang lineage himself.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Hyper90 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:50 pm

does that apply to jiang wei?

he is quite close to Qiangs if i recalled correctly
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Well they killed his father in an uprising but Jiang Wei believed he had good knowledge of them, wouldn't say he was close though.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:18 pm

mrbeate wrote:The colors were really:

Shu - Red
Wei - Black/Yellow
Wu - Green

I had heard this too, the Han empire colors were Red and Black, so it would make sense for Wei to adopt a close color scheme on order to prove legitimacy, Shu red...... id say if Liu Bei declared the Kingdom SHu-Han, then would'nt he adopt the Red-BLack Han colors?
Wu green?? refer the ancient Wu kingdom of the Previous era, green sounds just out of place, oddly enough the Ten Kingdoms period had a Wu-Yue state if there is any relation to the 3k Wu then the colors should be same or similar.
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:I had heard this too, the Han empire colors were Red and Black, so it would make sense for Wei to adopt a close color scheme on order to prove legitimacy, Shu red...... id say if Liu Bei declared the Kingdom SHu-Han, then would'nt he adopt the Red-BLack Han colors?
Wu green?? refer the ancient Wu kingdom of the Previous era, green sounds just out of place, oddly enough the Ten Kingdoms period had a Wu-Yue state if there is any relation to the 3k Wu then the colors should be same or similar.

Han colors were more red than black as they ruled through fire which was red. Shu the successor kingdom, would have to choose the color to. But if Han Dynasty did have red and black colors then Shu would have both. OR red was more implemented then black. Wu kingdom ruled through the power of earth which was yellow. So they may have had added green to differ from Wei, which was Black n Yellow
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerTally » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:44 am

mrbeate wrote: Wu kingdom ruled through the power of earth which was yellow. So they may have had added green to differ from Wei, which was Black n Yellow

It contradicts with what you said as the Wu theme color was green. In fact, green is the represent color of the wood, which can overcome earth that is associated with Wei (yellow is the representative color of earth). It seems to me that the southern Chinese may have promoted the wood element to contend with their enemies from the north.

Reference from Wikipedia again.

EDIT: BTW, is there any image or textual evidence from SGYY, SGZ or other book that can really support the coloring of the flags? I find this topic very interesting and worth researching.
Last edited by TigerTally on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium