Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby capnnerefir » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:33 pm

They were. Obviously their husbands were chosen by the emperor (or their relatives) but that isn't any different from any other marriage among the Han upper class. A princess's husband was usually made a marquis, although since the emperor's daughter would only marry someone from a very good family, more often than not he was already one.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby solemio » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:10 pm

Here is a question that has haunted me for years. Sun Quan was said to have relatively short legs and so was Yimagawa Yoshimoto. However, the former was a good rider and escaped at Xiaoyaojin, while the latter couldn't ride properly and lost both the battle and his life to Nobunaga. How come?
You bloomed like a burning rose and exhausted my heart, which hence can bear nothing but weeds.
solemio
Tyro

Unread postby mendedties » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:11 pm

I asked this in passing in another thread, but it probably has a better home here.

Whatever happened to Tian Chou's little haven in the north? He left to solicit help from Cao Cao after the Wuhuan got handsy, but I don't see anything about it afterwards. For that matter, was everything Liu Yu built up dismantled by Gonsun Zan after his death?
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:34 am

mendedties wrote:I asked this in passing in another thread, but it probably has a better home here.

Whatever happened to Tian Chou's little haven in the north? He left to solicit help from Cao Cao after the Wuhuan got handsy, but I don't see anything about it afterwards. For that matter, was everything Liu Yu built up dismantled by Gonsun Zan after his death?

ZZTJ and Rafe's encyclopaedia doesn't say, presumably it lived on
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby mendedties » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Dang. Was hoping there was somehow more out there somehow. Thanks though.
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby To Establish Peace » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:37 pm

Am I wrong in feeling Liu Bei is a tad underrated? I honestly see him as the Vercingetorix to Cao Cao's Caesar, a really great, top tier commander and leader in his own right but going up against an all time great who had the devil's luck. Though the thing that it's hard to get past is that Liu Bei lost A LOT in his early years, but i also kind of grade him as a curve because he started so far behind the other warlords of the era.

Thoughts on my view point?
To Establish Peace
Initiate

Unread postby mendedties » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:54 pm

Both culturally and historically he is rated extremely highly, so I'm not really sure where you're coming from.

Nearly all of the contention seems to be about the quality of his moral character.
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby To Establish Peace » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:02 pm

mendedties wrote:Both culturally and historically he is rated extremely highly, so I'm not really sure where you're coming from.

Nearly all of the contention seems to be about the quality of his moral character.

I felt like the consensus was "above average", like a B to a B+ but not on the same tier as the top guys.

Also morally he obviously wasn't the saint he's depicted as culturally but he was probably a bit better than the norm for the era - no major known atrocities, pretty popular in his time, etc
To Establish Peace
Initiate

Unread postby DragonAtma » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:26 pm

solemio wrote:Here is a question that has haunted me for years. Sun Quan was said to have relatively short legs and so was Yimagawa Yoshimoto. However, the former was a good rider and escaped at Xiaoyaojin, while the latter couldn't ride properly and lost both the battle and his life to Nobunaga. How come?

After reading this a half dozen times I realized you don't mean Yimagawa but Imagawa.

That said, Imagawa Yoshimoto was completely taken by surprise. By the time he realized he was under attack, his tend was undefended, the attackers almost right next to it, and Yoshimoto may have been completely unprepared for battle (no weapon, no armor, definitely no horse). In comparison, Sun Quan was on a horse, he had weapon and armor, and he had a thousand soldiers to defend him and help him escape.

So although Sun Quan's position was threatened, Yoshimoto's was far, far worse.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:33 am

To Establish Peace wrote:Am I wrong in feeling Liu Bei is a tad underrated? I honestly see him as the Vercingetorix to Cao Cao's Caesar, a really great, top tier commander and leader in his own right but going up against an all time great who had the devil's luck. Though the thing that it's hard to get past is that Liu Bei lost A LOT in his early years, but i also kind of grade him as a curve because he started so far behind the other warlords of the era.

Thoughts on my view point?

I'd agree with this. Liu Bei was nearly always out-numbered or his troops were of dubious loyalty or quality. In a fair fight I'd still back Sun Ce and Cao Cao over him but I do think his above average.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium