Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Han » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:59 am

The plundering of the treasury wouldnt have such a long term effect. I just think Liu Bei wanted to prioritise his limited resources towards his military expeditions in Hanzhong and Jing. Hence the 'lack of funding thingy'. Remember even Zhuge and Zhao were not given nobility titles.

As for the latter, IDK sorry.
Liu Bei did nothing wrong.
Han
Changshi

Unread postby Kushan Embassador » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi and happy new year to everybody! I would like to know if someone has in pdf to share the next two parts article or if knows where it can be downloaded:

Gardiner, Kenneth HJ. “The Kung-Sun Warlords of Liao-Tung (189–238).” Papers on Far Eastern History 5.5 (1972): Parts 1 and 2.
Kushan Embassador
Tyro

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:03 am

I wish I could help you, but that's something I've been looking for myself.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Sage

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:13 am

After reading Dong Zhou's wonderful analysis of Yuan Shao I have a question for the community.

So, Gongsun Zan sent his cousin Yue south to aid Yuan Shu/Sun Jian fight off one of Yuan Shao's vassals whom was ordered to attack Sun Jian while the latter was fighting Dong Zhou.

My question is how did Gongsun Zan (or any warlord) manage to send an army (even a "small" one like one thousand cavalry) past multiple enemy warlords territories?

I mean Gongsun Yue would have had to march past Yuan Shao, and Cao Cao's territory (I just woke up so perhaps this was when a friendly force was in Yan?) in order to join with Sun Jian/Yuan Shu. How would an army manage to march so far while not being found by hostile forces?
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:16 pm

The cheque is in the post :wink:

In this case, Yan was under Liu Dai who was a friend and anything that could be said to be "sending forces to fight Dong Zhuo" probably allowed more leeway then would happen later. Otherwise? It seems more likely to fail then succeed but if the areas are in enough chaos and division, there might be gaps where the local government can't see troops being moved but others may have a better answer.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Did you get a sense that Gongsun Yue was sent to fight against the Zhou clan specifically or that he was sent to fight with Sun Jian against whoever as a sign of solidarity, with the original target in mind actually being Dong Zhuo?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:01 pm

Zan seems to have used "miliatry advisers with troops" as a form of diplomacy and since Liu Yu was allying with Yuan Shu against Zan's advice, Zan probably wanted his cousin there to explain away any "fake news". The idea beyond that was, I suspect, Zan's frontier men could help Yuan Shu's men with training, against rebels and yes maybe play part against Dong Zhuo's men so Zan could get some reflective glory. The clash with the Zhou clan and Yuan Shao would not have been something Zan likely foresaw when sending Yue
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Han » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:27 pm

Sending troops over hostile territory probably isnt as difficult as we think.

During Guandu, Liu Bei noticably waltz through Yan and most of Yu to arrive at Runan to conduct operations against Cao Cao. Twice.

Gao Gan attempted to flee to Jing from Bing so he probably thought it was possible to pull off.

Lei Xu, a leader of force of Lujiang number 20k plus travelled to Gongan to submit to Liu Bei although Sun Quan and Cao Cao occupied territory inbetween.

Liu Bei dispatched Ma Liang to entice the local populace of Southern Jing even though Sun Quan occupied most of middle and southern Jing.

Liao Hua successfully fled with his old mother to Liu Bei through hostile territory.

This is an era with no gps after all lol. Maybe some neat disguise and travelling through gaps of defences could do the trick. Who knows.
Liu Bei did nothing wrong.
Han
Changshi

Unread postby Fornadan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Especially in the early 190s when the warlord-governors' control over the territory they claimed was probably fuzzy at best (with roving Yellow Turbans, bandits, minor warlords etc)

Intercepting a fast-moving column may just have been beyond the rudimentary warlord organizations of the times
Translations from the Book of Jin: http://bookofjin.tumblr.com/index
Fornadan
Academic

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:32 am

Question about Jiang Wei's family, is there anything recorded about them after this? Barring of course the letter his mother sent him later.
The Weilue records
The various Wei troops attacked Jixian and captured Jiang Wei's mother, wife and children. But because Jiang Wei had not gone voluntarily, they did not kill the members of his family, but only imprisoned them to make him return.

This is, of course, assuming that the wife and children killed in 264 were different than these captured ones in Wei.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium