Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Jiangji » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:29 pm

Highonpawns wrote:as I put in the locked thread (I feel so embarest*) I read all of lu xun's bios here and found very little on lu xun's death. I don't get it all, so could some one elaborate?

*(cause my spelling is horrid)

We did discuss a little about Lu Xun death. You can go to link below. Page 13-17.

Zhuge liang - a military strategist

http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=10075
Detach from emotions and desires; get rid of any fixations.
Jiangji
Master

Unread postby didier » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:15 pm

I hope this sort of thing hasn't been asked before, but I'm interested...

I got the translation for the end of Dynasty Warriors 3 song: "circuit" from Muni Shinobu's FAQ's: geocities.com/muni_shinobu/faq.

Here is the mandarin song:
http://www.geocities.com/muni_shinobu/faq/circuit.jpg

and it's simply translated to this:

"Live Road"

Glamorous future, is an excuse for tiredness, pretending it doesn't matter
Tender affection similar to the sea, solitary facial features, hoping for fate to consolidate
Wander, mankind's various flavors and experiences, future, shining and bright
Wish you good fortune, with all my force, warm pulse is still rigorously running
Look past, sink into an embrace, nevermind
Lonely hours, dream-like past
Confirm, self realization
If it's possible to wish, an artistic scenery, still will, appear before the eyes
Past events, all are like unintentional gatherings, believe, future unlimited
Wish you good fortune, with all my force, I am even more happy for you than I am proud for you
Look past, sink into the past
Wish you good fortune, with all my force, no because, no because, no because

I always loved the sound of the song, and was happy to finally read a translation. But sadly it's quite confusing. I thinks its theme is something about hope for the future.

Could you chinese speaking guys (or Lady Wu), if interested, shed some of your insight into what you think the song is about more specifically. If there is more to the meaning than the simple words (like most songs). I would think if you understand the original language you could get a far greater interpretation of the songs meaning, like if it has any real relation to ROTK etc. :D
Guan Yu once said "I do not fear death, it is but my journey home". That comforts me for the distant future, but I want to stay and play Three Kingdoms games.
didier
Scholar

Unread postby Ghost_of_Han » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:20 pm

Ruan Ji (210- 263CE) who was he I saw him mentioned in a book but don't remeber hearing of him in 3K. And its contravesal if he was gay or not. Any info? thx
Ghost_of_Han
Apprentice

Unread postby Wizardman » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:14 pm

Ghost_of_Han wrote:Ruan Ji (210- 263CE) who was he I saw him mentioned in a book but don't remeber hearing of him in 3K. And its contravesal if he was gay or not. Any info? thx

I don't recall him being in the three kingdoms myself as well. Homosexuality was actually fairly common back then, so I'd say that there's a good chance he was.
Huang Zhong: Are you calling me old?!
Wei Yan: ...Yes.
Huang Zhong: Liu Bei! I demand you kill him!
Liu Bei: Well it's... true...
Wizardman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby The Sun Also Rises » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:33 pm

Ruan Ji was a famous Wei poet. His father, Ruan Yu, was one of the Seven Worthies of Jian An(I think that's what they were called) with Kong Rong, Liu Zhen, Chen Lin, Xu Gan, Wang Can, and Ying Xi.

A short biography from this site:
Ruan Ji (210---263) was from Chenliu---the now He'nan Province. He had nourished a high ambition when young. Resentful of the Sima clique, who had usurped the state power of the Kingdom of Wei, he became an ardent advocate of the doctrines of Laozi (604BC?---531BC?) and Zhuangzi (369BC?---286BC) and assumed an unrestrained manner---an expression of his frustrated personality. His poetry, with its pessimistic colouring and oblique style, reflects the dark reality, expresses his inner conflicts and in some way criticizes the hypocritic feudal ethics. He had played an important role in the development of the poetic form of pentasyllabic lines.

I had never heard it before and looking now at various reference sources, I'm not finding anything saying he was homosexual.
-011a5-400c974c;
The Sun Also Rises
Student

Unread postby Ghost_of_Han » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:14 am

Well I believe your refering to the "Seven worthies of the Bamboo grove". But I ask this question cause I quoted a book that claimed him to be gay. But then a member from another forum (CHF) told me that there is no proof. Usually I would believe a book over a former, but he is basically on the verge of a PHD, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was right.
Is there any bio or anything I can be refered to, if know one knows the anwser?
Ghost_of_Han
Apprentice

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:17 am

It would depend on what book you found this assertion in. Obviously, you'd have to have the reference for that book, and also check out the validity of the reference from which the author of the book got that information.

Otherwise, if there really is no evidence in the historical documents, then we can't really say that he was homosexual.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:44 am

Ghost_of_Han wrote:Well I believe your refering to the "Seven worthies of the Bamboo grove". But I ask this question cause I quoted a book that claimed him to be gay. But then a member from another forum (CHF) told me that there is no proof. Usually I would believe a book over a former, but he is basically on the verge of a PHD, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was right.

"Sexual Identity," and the stereotyped categorization that limits sexual practices to few distinct and non-overlapping categories such as "homosexual," "heterosexual," etc. is a very recent invention of Western civilizations. While homosexual practices were common in most periods of history, very few were exclusively homosexual. Most people who slept with members of their own sex also slept with members of the opposite sex.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Ghost_of_Han » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:51 am

So true, all the emperors in the former Han, we're bi sexual or gay. I mean you can argue that untrue the last two were not, but they we're pretty young, I mean young enough not to be having sexual realtions so I feel they don't count. Also all but 1 of the 14 first roman emperors were bi sexual.

[quote][quote]Most people who slept with members of their own sex also slept with members of the opposite sex.[/quote][/quote] (I don't get the quote things here)

I have only one example of there being a strictly gay emperor, Han Aidi. But I still agree with you for sure. I also had a quick post on Han Aidi here.

http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=10103
Ghost_of_Han
Apprentice

Unread postby Tyler » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:19 am

Ghost_of_Han wrote:Well I believe your refering to the "Seven worthies of the Bamboo grove". But I ask this question cause I quoted a book that claimed him to be gay. But then a member from another forum (CHF) told me that there is no proof. Usually I would believe a book over a former, but he is basically on the verge of a PHD, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was right.

If that would be Yun which it is to my knowledge he is right. Yun has more knowledge than any book we can trust him. Can you give us the actually quote though?

Quoting is easy Goh

Code: Select all
[quote]text here[/quote]

this will get you
this is how you quote

Code: Select all
[quote=persions name]text here[/quote]

will get you
persions name wrote:text here
make sure you ues this symbol around a persions name on both sides
And thats all there is too it. for a better explanation just post and hold your mouse over the quote buttion and look at the "tip" it gives you.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium