Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:30 pm

"Elegy of Xingnu" and "Elegy of Jin (something)".

They are not in the popular anthologies.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Ghost_of_Han » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:27 am

I am right now working on a paper that, is on China, and Homosexuailty. A complete history of Homosexuailty in Chinese History. I come to you here asking was the anyone know during the Three Kingdoms for being Homosexual in anyway? Any information is welcomed and wanted.
Ghost_of_Han
Apprentice

Unread postby melee » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:38 am

sorry,how about xiong nu?plz tell me sth
i know xiong nu locates at somewhere in northern of china and their force is good at horse unit.
in rtk 9,maybe wu wan is a part of xiong nu?

edit:for shame,had another place talking about that
http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=2196

who know how about chen deng after lu bu's death?
melee
Student

Unread postby Ma Zhi Xuan » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:13 am

Sorry for cutting in on your question Melee, but I'd like to ask who Xu Zijiang was? I was actually playing DT the other day and he just popped out of no where and gave Zhang Fei a tactic and was curious as to who he actually was/if he is actually somebody historical and if he actually lived during the Three Kingdoms period.
Ma Zhi Xuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In the Symphony of Destruction. Clashing the cymbols.

Unread postby Li Ruiyue » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:49 am

Ghost_of_Han wrote:I am right now working on a paper that, is on China, and Homosexuailty. A complete history of Homosexuailty in Chinese History. I come to you here asking was the anyone know during the Three Kingdoms for being Homosexual in anyway? Any information is welcomed and wanted.

I think homosexuality wasn't classed as 'normal' in Chinese History. If there were any homosexuals, none would be mentioned at least in the novel of RoTK.

Ma Zhi Xuan wrote:Sorry for cutting in on your question Melee, but I'd like to ask who Xu Zijiang was? I was actually playing DT the other day and he just popped out of no where and gave Zhang Fei a tactic and was curious as to who he actually was/if he is actually somebody historical and if he actually lived during the Three Kingdoms period.

I think Xu Zijiang is actually Xu Shao's style name. But I'm still not sure who Xu Shao/Zijiang is, so...
Li Ruiyue
Innocent Soul

Unread postby Exar Kun » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:53 pm

The Xiong Nu was a state was existed in the northern Frontier of China in the Steppes.They were nomadic horsemen and had the best cavalry.
The Xiong Nu state was a stable entity with which the Former Han did trade and had embassies to and from.
However relations began breaking down during the short lived Xin dynasty and the Latter Han.The result was a massive war that happened between China,the Xiong Nu,the Qiang,Wuwan and the Xianbi.

The effect after decades was that the Xiong Nu state was split in two,the northern Xiong Nu and the southern Xiong Nu.The Northerners fled further north into the steppes and many also changed allegiance to the Xianbi who were fast conquering former Xiong Nu territory.
The Southern Xiong Nu essentially became a dependent of Han China with portions of the Northern Frontier being ceded to them for occupation.

The Xiong Nu remained there in a relatively peaceful way until in the Jin dynasty when the northern military force that had maintained control over the Liao disappeared and then the Xiong Nu struck,completely routing Jin and sacking Luo Yang.Jin was forced south and northern China became made up of barbarian kingdoms for hundreds of years.

That's just a general overview.If tere is any specific area you'd like be to emphasize then feel free to ask.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:58 am

Xu Shao/Xu Zijiang is from Runan, and is the younger cousin of Xu Jing (who eventually served in Shu). He was well-versed in the teachings of good conduct and virtues, and was uncommonly talented at evaluating people. He served as a minor officer in his home commandery, and was respected by the Grand Administrator. All the people of the area smartened up and behaved when they heard Xu Zijiang was working there. He was respected by many people, including Yuan Shao and Cao Cao in their youth, and they sought to get a good evaluation of themselves by Xu. On the first day of each month, Xu Zijiang and others would sit around and discuss the people of the times. People would flock to hear them.

Xu Zijiang had three relatives who served as the Three Dukes because they sucked up to the eunuchs; Zijiang refused to associate with them.

He was summoned to serve in higher positions, but he turned down all of the summons, saying that since the world was in turmoil he should take his family elsewhere in order to avoid trouble. He went south to Guangling, and was treated well by Tao Qian. However, he knew that though Tao Qian acted respectfully towards him, he really didn't like him. So he left Tao Qian for Liu Yao in Qu'e. After he left, Tao Qian really went and arrested all of Xu Zijiang's followers in the area. When Sun Ce took over the Southlands, Xu Zijiang fled towards Yuzhang along with Liu Yao, and died on the way at the age of 46.

[From Hou Han Shu (History of the Later Han, chapter 74]
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

question

Unread postby Du Bu » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:20 am

Just a quick question

I am currently looking for a good map, one with the different regions of the Three Kingdoms era. Can someone let me know where I might locate one with definite lines to show how the borders went?

Thanx
Du Bu
Tyro

Unread postby Jon » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:57 am

Do you need provincial borders? Or are you talking about individual cities? I'm going to edit this post with the link to a provincial, hold on.

EDIT: http://www.anu.edu.au/asianstudies/decr ... _map01.gif
Jon
Ladies' Man

Thank you very much

Unread postby Du Bu » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:07 am

Provincial is exactly what I wanted!!!!
Du Bu
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium