Quick translation, hanzi, and minor information assistance

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:33 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Weird. I thought all emperors proclaim a new year when they came to the throne.

I thought so too, but my version of SGYY does not mention any reign year change, and HHS simply states that in Zhong Ping 6, Emperor Shao took the throne and gave the title of Prince of Chen Liu to Liu Xie, and then later that year the reign was transferred to Liu Xie.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby James » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:36 am

Hu2 Che1er2 胡車兒 (Ju1er2)
I've got his name, but not his style.

What is his style in Hanzi (Ju1er2)?

Here is what my reference notes say for Sun1 Wan1.
Can anyone make sense out of my notes? *Chuckles*
孫 (上雨下單)
Essentially, I'm looking for the Hanzi for Sun1 Wan1.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:27 pm

James wrote:Hu2 Che1er2 胡車兒 (Ju1er2)
I've got his name, but not his style.

What is his style in Hanzi (Ju1er2)?

Hu Che'er doesn't have a style name. You have Ju1 in the bracketed stuff because 車, pronounced che1 now, has ju1 as its "old pronunciation".

Here is what my reference notes say for Sun1 Wan1.
Can anyone make sense out of my notes? *Chuckles*
孫 (上雨下單)
Essentially, I'm looking for the Hanzi for Sun1 Wan1.

The character you're looking for is one that has 雨 on the top and 單 on the bottom. 上 and 下 mean up and down respectively. Unfortuantely, I can't find that character in the MSPinyin charset, so I can't help you there... :-/ Good luck.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:30 pm

Lady Wu wrote:The character you're looking for is one that has 雨 on the top and 單 on the bottom. 上 and 下 mean up and down respectively. Unfortuantely, I can't find that character in the MSPinyin charset, so I can't help you there... :-/ Good luck.

You need the deluxe version of Chinese WP for that one.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:23 pm

I noticed that Li Jue is not in the Chinese officer names thingy. His name is written as: 李傕
(I hope it displayed it correctly)
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby James » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:55 pm

Susan Sto Helit wrote:I noticed that Li Jue is not in the Chinese officer names thingy. His name is written as: 李傕
(I hope it displayed it correctly)

Cool. I'm about to add around 300+ new names to the goofy list anyway, and it will include just about every officer people are familiar with. It was just a tedius process preparing the HTML (I went out and taught myself regular expressions just to make it a possible one instead of a two-week project). I'll make sure that's what I've got for Li Jue.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:13 am

Is this how Ta Dun is written: 蹋顿 ?
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby James » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:00 am

I've got two styles listed for Guan Xing in my notes... why do I have two styles?
Guan Xing (Xingguo) 關興 (興國)
Guan Xing (Anguo) 關興 (安國)

I flagged Guo <i>Yuanzhi</i> for some reason in my notes. I must have had a concern or something along those lines in regard to the hanzi for his given name. Seem odd to anyone?

Guo Yuanzhi (Zini) 國淵字 (子尼)

Wen Pin or Wen Ping?
Wen Pin[g] (Zhongye) 文聘 (仲業)

My notes indicate Zilin as Mao’s style, but I’ve also got Zixiu in them. Can someone tell me where Zixiu comes from so I can properly explain it?
Xiahou Mao (Zixiu (Zilin)) 夏侯楙 (子休 (子林))

I have two Zhuge Jings in my notes. Are they separate people, and if they are, what is the difference between them? What is the Zhuge Jing we know best?
諸葛京 and 諸葛靚
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:54 pm

I think Guan Xing is Anguo. And isn't it Guo Youzhi? And who the hell is Zhuge Jing? I only know Zhuge Jin.

James wrote:Wen Pin or Wen Ping?
Wen Pin[g] (Zhongye) 文聘 (仲業)

Pin4.

If you didn't have him, add Chang Xi (昌豨)
Code: Select all
(&#26124;&#35944;)

To your list, he's a guy who surrendered to Zhang Liao.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Jon » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:27 pm

Susan Sto Helit wrote:I think Guan Xing is Anguo. And isn't it Guo Youzhi? And who the hell is Zhuge Jing? I only know Zhuge Jin.
From what I read, Zhuge Jing is Dan's son or grandon. I'm not sure...
Jon
Ladies' Man

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium