Quick translation, hanzi, and minor information assistance

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby James » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:32 am

Are you talking about the actual decimal values, or something else? I know one way to get them (a pretty tedious way, but definitely better than nothing for some people) is to add them to a post, hit ‘Preview’, then view the page source (under the view menu in most browsers). You can then enter a word next to the Hanzi (you can add some unique string of characters like ‘sdfks’ to your post to simplify this process) and you will find, in the source, all your decimal values (because, as mentioned above, phpBB converts Hanzi to decimal Unicode). Unfortunately Mozilla’s ‘View Selection Source’ doesn’t work, it displays the actual characters without the encoding type defined. Does Internet Explorer for Windows display the decimal values in the preview directly?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:26 pm

James wrote:Does Internet Explorer for Windows display the decimal values in the preview directly?

Yup, that stinking peice of technology actually does have some good features we didn't know about. If I need a quick entity number for my website, I just paste it into a PHPBB board and preview, since Windows doesn't have any conversion programs at all. It works with any entity that is not allowed in XHTML 1.0.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:22 am

Well, this was posted before the board rebooted, so I guess I'll just repost it, since I thought it was some pretty good info and deserves to be remembered.

Lady Wu posted some commonish hanzi names for me before, but they're gone, so I'll repost the requests:

Chen Shou
Sanguozhi
Pei Songzhi
Xi Zuochi
Han Jin chunqiu
Luo Guanzhong
Sanguo yanyi (and sanguozhi tongsu yanyi)
pinghua
Mao Zonggang, Mao Lun
Sima Guang
Zizhi tongjian
Zhu Xi
gangmu

Hrm... and since the 3K emperors aren't listed on the Chinese Officer Names page of KMA, why don't I request Han Huandi, Han Lingdi, Han Shaodi and Han Xiandi. :D

[Edit: Might as well add the following, while we're at it. I suppose I could figure some of these ones out by myself, but how lazy would that be?]

Hou Han shu
Jin shu
Wei shu
Wang Chen
Cao Man zhuan

Thanks in advance.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:50 am

Chen Shou 陳壽
Sanguozhi 三國志
Pei Songzhi 裴松之
Xi Zuochi 習鑿齒
Han Jin chunqiu 漢晉春秋
Luo Guanzhong 羅貫中
Sanguo yanyi (and sanguozhi tongsu yanyi) 三國演義/三國志通俗演義
pinghua (三國志)平話
Mao Zonggang, Mao Lun 毛宗崗、毛綸
Sima Guang 司馬光
Zizhi tongjian 資治通鋻
Zhu Xi 朱熹
gangmu 綱目

Han Huandi 漢桓帝
Han Lingdi 漢靈帝
Han Shaodi 少帝 (I'm not sure if he's ever referred to as Han Shaodi)
Han Xiandi. 漢獻帝

Hou Han shu 後漢書
Jin shu 晉書
Wei shu 魏書
Wang Chen 王沈
Cao Man zhuan 曹瞞傳
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:21 am

Lady Wu wrote:Han Shaodi 少帝 (I'm not sure if he's ever referred to as Han Shaodi)

Not in HHS.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:55 am

Susan Sto Helit wrote:Not in HHS.

What do they call him in HHS (and in ZZTJ, just for the heck of it)?

And while I'm at it, what was his reign title?

PS: Jon, your avatar really gives me the creeps. 'Tis not the right thread to say it, but I just had to... :roll:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:56 am

How about Sima Yan and Cao Huan (also not on KMA's list)?

[Edit: I was going to say the exact same thing about the avatar.]
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:54 am

Lady Wu wrote:
Susan Sto Helit wrote:Not in HHS.

What do they call him in HHS (and in ZZTJ, just for the heck of it)?

And while I'm at it, what was his reign title?

PS: Jon, your avatar really gives me the creeps. 'Tis not the right thread to say it, but I just had to... :roll:

Sorry had to check to make sure, some parts call him by his name (Bian) but the biography of Emperor Xian just calls hims Shao Di, but not Han Shao Di. And shouldn't Emperor Xian be:
Xiao Xian Huang Di Hui Xie?
I don't have ZZTJ, so I can't help you on that.
His reign year? As far as I know, it remained the sixth year of Central Stability (Zhong Ping).

P.S: It's supposed to :wink:
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:04 am

Susan Sto Helit wrote:And shouldn't Emperor Xian be:
Xiao Xian Huang Di Hui Xie?

All Han emperors' posthumous/temple names were prefixed with "xiao", meaning "filial". Filial piety was the main virtue advocated by the government. So technically, Liu Xie should be "Han Xiao-Xian Huangdi". However, in historical texts, the Xiao part is often left out (if everyone has it, there's no point putting it in!), and "di" is short for "huangdi" (emperor). "Hui" is a verb meaning "to have the tabooed name [name]". It's like the verb "ming" meaning "to have the name [name]", except it's used when you want to mention the given name of someone who's of a higher status than you. Xie is just his given name. "Xiao Xian Huang Di Hui Xie" is thus a complete sentence.

His reign year? As far as I know, it remained the sixth year of Central Stability (Zhong Ping).

Weird. I thought all emperors proclaim a new year when they came to the throne.
Lady Wu

Unread postby James » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:06 am

Kong Zhengshu wrote:How about Sima Yan and Cao Huan (also not on KMA's list)?

I've got so much to add to that list... and I've already got the information. I think I'll get to work on it so it starts doing something useful instead of sitting on my hard drive.

And... yeah... that avatar... *Shivers*
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium