Quick translation, hanzi, and minor information assistance

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Jon » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:16 pm

Ma Du Gan? :P .. Probably as close as you'll get.

There won't be any direct translation, since your name probably doesn't have any real meaning. So like Kong said, all you can do is get a name sounding simliar to yours.
Jon
Ladies' Man

Unread postby Marc » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:21 am

Oh well, you learn something new every day. Thanks for the help.
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:54 am

This was posted by Jiang Zhi in another thread, and I thought it would get a better response here:

Jiang Zhi wrote:Please put this in unicode for me:

Battle of Chibi (Chek Bik Ji Jeen) Thanks, I wanna write this in my artwork that I'm gonna do but I have no clue how to write it, thanks.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:03 am

Jiang Zhi wrote:Please put this in unicode for me:

Battle of Chibi (Chek Bik Ji Jeen) Thanks, I wanna write this in my artwork that I'm gonna do but I have no clue how to write it, thanks.

In unicode:
#36196;#22721;#20043;#25136;
(they should all have a & before the #, but I had no idea how to put that in without it automatically turning into characters)

In characters:
赤壁之戰
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:24 am

Here's a question for you: How do you find/know the unicode for the characters? I remember trying to represent some characters from a book I was reading on a webpage, but I couldn't figure out how to find the unicode for them.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:45 am

Kong Zhengshu wrote:Here's a question for you: How do you find/know the unicode for the characters? I remember trying to represent some characters from a book I was reading on a webpage, but I couldn't figure out how to find the unicode for them.

I have no idea. What I did there was type it in by pinyin into IE (I think it only works for IE, but as if I know a lot about browsers.... :roll: ) and hit preview. The preview part actually shows up as characters, but the textbox (whatever you call the part where you type stuff in) has the unicode in there now.

I know this is a really dumb way, but James the man could probably enlighten us... :)
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby James » Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:07 am

Lady Wu wrote:#36196;#22721;#20043;#25136;

That’s actually decimal unicode, unicode values are different (and used the expanded alphabet which includes a, b, c, d, e, and f. 36196, in standard Unicode, is actually 8D64. (Yay for useless facts?) :)

Lady Wu wrote:I know this is a really dumb way, but James the man could probably enlighten us... :)

Ack… I really wish I could help you, but as a Macintosh user I’m using programs which aren’t available for Windows. Personally, I use a program called UnicodeChecker which allows you to put in glyphs/characters of any kind to get their Unicode/Decimal equivalents, along with all sorts of other kinds of information. It provides a service to all other text documents which allows me to make a selection and ‘Convert to HTML Unicode Entries, preserving ASCII’. What that translates to is me being able to highlight a document with Hanzi in it, and with the click of a mouse button, converting all Hanzi and non-standard characters to Decimal. I’m sure there is a program with similar capabilities for Windows, I’m just not sure what it is. I do seem to remember something about NJ Star being able to do this?

Edit: Try this VersionTracker search?

Edit 2: If people need large collections of text converted, they can feel free to post them here and I’ll nail ‘em, hopefully I just find something soon for doing this on Windows.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhanghe_of_Wei » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:55 am

James wrote:36196, in standard Unicode, is actually 8D64. (Yay for useless facts?)

:shock: James, how did you get that?

赤 壁 之 战 (戰)

8D64 58C1 4E4B 6218 (6230)

:P I cheated of course; searched for the Unicodes on Mandarintools.
Zhanghe_of_Wei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:22 pm

Zhanghe_of_Wei wrote::shock: James, how did you get that?

I have to work with Hexadecimal a lot in Web design, so I’ve learned plenty of ways to convert them, and do so by hand easily as well. It isn’t too hard to move between them. Hmm… the easiest way, probably, is to take a scientific calculator that supports Hexadecimal, and use that to enter the decimal value and then convert it into the other mode. It is usually listed as ‘Hex’ next to ‘Dec’ (Decimal), ‘Oct’, and ‘Bin’.

Edit: Useful Links
http://www.jaworski.com/htmlbook/dec-hex.htm
http://www.myhome.org/pg/numbers.html
http://flor.nl/dec2hex.html (conversion tool)
Google Search
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:02 am

The easiest way to get the unicode for chinese characters is to just use SOSZ. Because PHPBB automatically transforms Chinese characters to unicode it's only a few seconds work. You need Windows XP with Chinese support and a program (Chinese Wordpad) to type in Chinese. Then simply copy/paste the characters into your post, press Preview, et voila, there is your coding.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium