Quick translation, hanzi, and minor information assistance

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Quick translation, hanzi, and minor information assistan

Unread postby PyroMystic » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:56 am

Fornadan wrote:
PyroMystic wrote:Hello, is it true that we can ask for help translating Hanzi?

I want to know more about a certain Princess Wannian of Han. She's the daughter of Emperor Ling (Liu Hong), and that means she's the half-sister of both Emperor Shao (Liu Bian) and Emperor Xian (Liu Xie). And no, this is different from Princess Wannian of Jin. However, so far I find about her is just this passage, which I don't understand at all. Can someone help me translate this? Thanks!

《晉左九嬪萬年公主誄》曰:昔滿衣早智,周晉夙成,咸以岐嶷,名存典經,猗歟公主,在幼克哲,方德比齒,有邈先烈,何德之盛,而年或闕,何華之繁,而實不結,雨墜風逝,形影長滅,赫赫京室,河洛所經,陰精發曜,降茲淑靈,篤生公主,誕膺休禎,秀生紫微,日暉月明,既睇豔姿,徽音孔昭,盼蒨其媚,婉曼其嬌,寵玩軒陛,如瓊如瑤,雖則弱齒,雙德兼苞,五福所集,聞之先民,積善鍾慶,祜德輔仁,宜終淑美,光暉日新,云何降戾,景命不振,曄曄榮曜,英蕤始芳,何辜于天,猥遇降霜,焭焭稚魂,飄颻遐翔,於戲何辜,痛茲不福,生而何晚,歿而何速,酷矣皇靈,謬哉司祿,嗚呼哀哉。日月載馳,白露凝結,自主薨徂,奄離時節,吉凶乖邈,存亡異制,將遷幽都,潛神永翳,嗚呼公主,魂豈是綏,岌岌靈轜,駿駟騑騑,挽僮齊唱,悲音激摧,士女歔欷,高風增哀,一日不見,採蕭作歌,況我公主,形滅體訛,精靈遷逝,幽此中阿,言思言念,涕淚滂沱,嗚呼哀哉。

This appear to be the eulogy by Lady Zuo Fen左芬 for Princess Wannian of Jin. She was a noted poet and a concubine of Emperor Wu of Jin. When the Emperor's daughter, the Princess Wannian died, she made this eulogy in her memory

So this isn't about Princess Wannian of Han but Princess Wannian of Jin? Stupid me...
Anyway, thank you so much for your information!
忍辱负重 ~ rěn rǔ fù zhòng
||endure humiliation, bear burden||
《三国志 · 吴书 · 陸遜传 》
PyroMystic
Initiate

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium