Quick translation, hanzi, and minor information assistance

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby jiuwan » Tue May 20, 2003 10:39 pm

Chi wrote:All of these characters just come up as boxes for me. Where do I go to download something so I can finally see what you guys are writing??

Well first off it helps if you are operating a Windows XP on your computer. The chinese language is support by the new XP. Win 2000 will also work but you have to find the right language pack for it. Win XP comes default with it.

If your Win XP doesn't have it go to microsoft.com and type in "chinese". download either traditional text or simplified text that corresponds with your O/S.

<A HREF = "http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/winxpembedded.asp">This one is for Win XP traditional chinese text</A>
jiuwan
Marquis of Shun Ping

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:47 pm

Huang Zu probably doesn't have an SGZ bio of his own huh? Anything in HHS? (if so, link me)
I am getting bits and pieces from Wu bios to make one on Huang Zu, but I am not too sure if that would make it reliable enough. For instance, the memorial to the throne after Sun Ce's attack on Jiang Xia seems a bit overrated to me.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby ricetoe » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:13 am

I'm fairly new to the 3K culture, know very little about chinese, and realize that this question is going to seem stupid but... I've played DW3 and am almost done with the Moss Robert's abridged version, and have a question regarding names... which is correct: Tsao Tsao or Cao Cao; Liu Pei or Liu Bei; Kuan Yu or Guan Yu; etc?

And why the difference?
ricetoe
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:21 am

ricetoe wrote:I'm fairly new to the 3K culture, know very little about chinese, and realize that this question is going to seem stupid but... I've played DW3 and am almost done with the Moss Robert's abridged version, and have a question regarding names... which is correct: Tsao Tsao or Cao Cao; Liu Pei or Liu Bei; Kuan Yu or Guan Yu; etc?

And why the difference?

Both spellings of the names refer to the same people (and the same Chinese characters) -- Cao Cao and Ts'ao Ts'ao both refer to 曹操, Pei and Bei are both "English" spellings of the second character in 劉備, etc. There are several different ways of rendering the pronunciation of Chinese (Mandarin) words into the roman alphabet (the English alphabet), since the sounds in Chinese don't match up one-to-one with the sounds associated with the letters in European languages.

The Cao Cao/Liu Bei/Guan Yu spelling (seen in DWs) is called the Pinyin system, which is the standard in Mainland China and also the system used in most Chinese language programs in North America (I don't know about Europe). The Ts'ao Ts'ao/Liu Pei/Kuan Yü spelling is called the Wade-Giles system, which became popular among sinologists at the beginning of the last century, and is still used in Taiwan, as well as within some academic circles in the West. If you're interested, here is a little <a href="http://kongming.net/novel/wade-giles/">guide</a> that may be useful in going between the two systems.

Oh, I should have done this first, but welcome to ricetoe and hope you get a chance to read the <a href ="http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=3178">full version</a> sometime!
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Morg » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:59 pm

Are there decimal values for the Hanzi of Wu, Wei and Shu? I can't seem to find 'em anywhere.... also, kinda a stupid question: do the hanzi for Wu, Wei and Shu literally read as Wu, Wei and Shu?

Coulda phrased all of this a lot better if I didn't have chronic toothache...
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Unread postby English_Druid » Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:13 pm

Ugh I feel kinda stupid because Iv never read the book (plz dont boot me from the forum) j/k

Anyway can anyone tell me the names of officers under Lu Bu and if possible (and much appreciated) the hanzi too?

I checked KMA but I could only find one other officer.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Morg » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:05 am

English_Druid wrote:Anyway can anyone tell me the names of officers under Lu Bu and if possible (and much appreciated) the hanzi too?

Cheng Lian, Zhang Liao, Hao Meng, Cao Xing, Zhang Ba, Wei Xu, Song Xian, Hou Cheng and Gao Shun were all generals. Zhang Chao, Zhang Miao, Chen Gui, Chen Deng, Wei Yue, Xue Lan, Li Fang and Cheng Gong all seemed to serve under Lu Bu but I'm not sure if they were military or civil officers (Cheng Gong was an advisor).

Their Hanzi can be found here:
http://www.kongming.net/novel/hanzi/
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Translation

Unread postby Lord Ma-koto Chaoying » Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:55 am

[Sorry for those who were asking a question and expecting an answer : I am going to ask a new one. :lol: But I have I will certainly make the most of all questions and answers... :wink: ]

I suppose the pinyin is the same for all languages, isn't it ?
I was searching how to say in pinyin "invincibility", "invincible", "modesty", "humble", "wisdom", "wise", ""diamond", "gem". And I was wondering what Lu Meng's name, Taishi Ci's, Xu Huang's and Zhen Ji's as well means. (Sorry to have already posted a question about Xu Huang's and Zhen Ji's ones in another thread, I just realize that it was not the good thread. Well, sorry for that).

Thank you for your interest in advance. 8-) I know you have a lot of work with all these requests.

Chaoyou
"Listening to the Way of Union
Binding oneself to oneself and to Universe by Ki,
The streak of one's fibre and the ray of one's soul
Become the pure and divine mirror of each being
In a path without fear nor violence."
Lord Ma-koto Chaoying
Aikidoka Apprentice

Location: Searching Harmony of Universe through fight, secret of living things and beings...

Unread postby Marc » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:03 pm

I've got a question for you all. What is Marc Doogan translated into Chinese (not into symbols, but into a word e.g. Sun Jian)?
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:08 pm

Zhuge Marc wrote:I've got a question for you all. What is Marc Doogan translated into Chinese (not into symbols, but into a word e.g. Sun Jian)?

Names don't translate directly into Chinese like that. The closest you'd be able to come would be to get some Chinese words that sound like Marc Doogan or resemble Marc Doogan. There is a thread in the pub called "For those that want Chinese names" or something like that. Check that site out.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium