Quick translation, hanzi, and minor information assistance

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Quick translation, hanzi, and minor information assistan

Unread postby Shao Shanshu » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:57 pm

Is there a way to put the notion of usurper or tyrant in one ideogram?

Describing Dong Zhuo, will it be correct to say 霸董卓?
Shao Shanshu
Apprentice

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:44 pm

Shao Shanshu wrote:Is there a way to put the notion of usurper or tyrant in one ideogram?

Describing Dong Zhuo, will it be correct to say 霸董卓?

No, that doesn't work. Especially since modern Mandarin Chinese has an aversion to single-syllable words.

There also isn't a good word that means "usurper" (you can say 篡位者, literally, "the one who usurps", but it sounds clunky and made up). The word for "tyrant" is 暴君 (literally "tyrannical ruler"), but it wouldn't really apply to Dong Zhuo since he wasn't technically the ruler (he never took the throne himself). You could maybe say 惡霸董卓, where 惡霸 means something like "evil bully"--however, I personally associate that term with a local bully (like, the guy who terrorizes your town/village) rather than someone who abuses political and military power.

What are you using this for?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:38 am

I need some assistance finding a translation.

The Henan history museum in Zhengzhou has Xu Yi's epitaph on display. Information about it can be read on the official page here.

I've been trying for a while to find a direct translation of the epitaph, but thus far I have only been able to find summaries of it. Does anybody know where I could find a translation, either in book or on the web?

Thanks! :pika:
Jia Nanfeng
Tyro

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium